How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-24-2004, 09:24 PM
Recluse

Send a message via MSN to Darksied-X Send a message via Yahoo to Darksied-X
Angry Proof: Not all Subaru owners have a brain!

This was done to me by an idiot in an Outback at about 5:30 today: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...ed-X/17172.jpg

She was looking the other way and pulled right out in front of me. Needless to say I had a few choice words for her, nothing that could be said here. I had a smoke, calmed down a bit, then went to apologize for my behavior. When I did, she had the nerve to say it was my fault, because I was speeding! That just p!$$&d me off even more! I was doing 25! And has just about stopped when she hit me. She didn't even turn to look in my direction until after she hit me! It keeps getting better. The officer said that because it didn't look like over $1K in damage, he couldn't file a report, we have to settle civilly. Yeah, thats gonna work real well. First thing Monday morning, I'm gonna have the best (and most expensive) body shop in the area give me an estimate. Then I'm gonna research Maine law, because last I knew, only $500 was required to file a report. I refuse to pay for damages to my car caused by someone elses inability to drive a car.

'03 WRX Wagon, World Rally Blue
'94 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red
'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
(and legally, an '01 Outback VDC skankmobile)
Old 04-24-2004, 10:28 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

absolutely right. i don't have a brain and i'm a subaru owner!

sorry about the accident bro. i'd call another cop to see if he/she/it would write you a report. the cop you saw may have been an arse.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:36 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
That's horrible, Jeff! Maybe Maine is different than here, but I always thought any damages warranted at least a citation or some form of police documentation so the parties involved could go to their insurance agents with something to back up their claims. Definitely look up another cop but don't count on anthing because the one cop that was there when it happened did nothing and the next cop you find can't do anything because now it is too late and there is no damage scene for him to base a violation on.

Best of luck.

Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.

Last edited by CigarJohnny; 04-26-2004 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
That's horrible, Jeff! Maybe Maine is different than here but I always thought any damages warranted at least a citation or some form of police documentation so the parties involved could go to their insurance agents with something to back up their claims. Definitely look up another cop bu don't count on anthing because the one cop that was there when it happened did noting and the next cop you find can't do anything because now it is too late and there is no damage scene for him to base a violation on.

Best of luck.

Johnny
yeah, same here in georgia. there is a limit on damages, but it's also up to the discretion of the cop. i once slightly bumped someone at a stop light...probably a few miles an hour. a few scrathes on the bumper yet i still got a ticket for following too closely.

if you try another officer, you may not get much, but they may write up a report with your side of the story. it still shouldn't stop you from claiming her insurance. yet another reason to carry a camera with you to take pictures of the incident so if the cop doesn't do anything, you can report it to her insurance. that's what insurance is for, screw small claims court.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:43 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Wiz Send a message via AIM to Wiz Send a message via Yahoo to Wiz
Re: Proof: Not all Subaru owners have a brain!

Quote:
Originally posted by Darksied-X
This was done to me by an idiot in an Outback at about 5:30 today: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...ed-X/17172.jpg

She was looking the other way and pulled right out in front of me. Needless to say I had a few choice words for her, nothing that could be said here. I had a smoke, calmed down a bit, then went to apologize for my behavior. When I did, she had the nerve to say it was my fault, because I was speeding! That just p!$$&d me off even more! I was doing 25! And has just about stopped when she hit me. She didn't even turn to look in my direction until after she hit me! It keeps getting better. The officer said that because it didn't look like over $1K in damage, he couldn't file a report, we have to settle civilly. Yeah, thats gonna work real well. First thing Monday morning, I'm gonna have the best (and most expensive) body shop in the area give me an estimate. Then I'm gonna research Maine law, because last I knew, only $500 was required to file a report. I refuse to pay for damages to my car caused by someone elses inability to drive a car.
I think your right, it is $500 in Maine. Either way, even if it was less than that she is still liable. Her insurance has to pay for it.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:27 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Noir

yeah, same here in georgia.
Having been in an accident in Georgia, I know exactly how things work there. It's called, 'pin it on the people with out of state plates and blatently lie to them.'

'Protect and serve,' my...

Quote:
if you try another officer, you may not get much, but they may write up a report with your side of the story.
I rest my case.

Jeff, I'm sorry about your car. But it's likely that this person was never going to admit fault, or maybe your initial reaction turned her against you. Either way, I would bet that you're going to find it difficult to get her insurance company to pay for the damages entirely. As far as I know, unless she admits to her insurance company that she was entirely at fault, or the police report backs up your claim, they're not going to listen to you.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-25-2004, 11:30 AM
ou2mame

thats rediculous. How does the cop know its not over 1k damage..? Its pretty close just looking at the headlight and bumper. Add a mounting bracket or something and you've got yourself 1k.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I rest my case.

Jeff, I'm sorry about your car. But it's likely that this person was never going to admit fault, or maybe your initial reaction turned her against you. Either way, I would bet that you're going to find it difficult to get her insurance company to pay for the damages entirely. As far as I know, unless she admits to her insurance company that she was entirely at fault, or the police report backs up your claim, they're not going to listen to you.
lmao. that's right, we will always pin it on you. stay the h-ell out of the south you damn yank! carpetbaggers not welcome.

what happened in your case anyway? someone hit you? you hit someone? btw-an officer can write up a report based on what he sees and what you tell him. that's how they writes up cases for hit and runs so you can take your 'resting case' and peddle it back up North!!!!
Old 04-25-2004, 12:53 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Agreed. That cop shouldn't just eye-ball the damages and say it would be under $1000. That's kinda BS...

Quote:
Originally posted by ou2mame
thats rediculous. How does the cop know its not over 1k damage..? Its pretty close just looking at the headlight and bumper. Add a mounting bracket or something and you've got yourself 1k.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-25-2004, 01:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:

lmao. that's right, we will always pin it on you. stay the h-ell out of the south you damn yank! carpetbaggers not welcome.

what happened in your case anyway? someone hit you? you hit someone? btw-an officer can write up a report based on what he sees and what you tell him. that's how they writes up cases for hit and runs so you can take your 'resting case' and peddle it back up North!!!!
Well the thing was, I got into a stupid chain-reaction accident in Georgia back in '97. I was in my truck, following behind my mom in her rental. Traffic was heavy and very close, but moving along. The car in front of her hit the car in front of it, she hit car #2 and I hit her rental. Simple as that. By the time the cops showed up, the occupants (HA - PANTS!) of both cars #1 and #2 (both from Georgia) had decided that my mom pushed #2 into #1.

She gave her story and one of the officers said, 'I'll stop traffic so you can get out of here and meet your mom at the next exit.' I asked him, 'but don't you want my story?' He said, 'son, I've been doing this for a long time. I've seen this plenty of times before and I know exactly what happened. It was a simple chain reaction.'

I said, 'but those two are changing their story and saying my mom pushed the second car into the...'

The officer interrupted me and said, 'they can change their story all they want. I've been doing this for fifteen years - I know what happened.'

He sent me on my way.

My mom filed a claim through American Express. She got a copy of the report later - it turns out that the officer didn't take my statement so he could take the other person's story and put that down as his report.

How dirty is that? Man, it makes me pissed off just to think about it. Denying my statement and lying to me like that. I've always had pretty good trust in police officers, so that experience just taught me that the badge doesn't necessarily mean that there's a good person behind it.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-25-2004, 03:17 PM
calmone

here if there's no personal injury thay often don't write a report regardless of the damage. as for the other driver, not much to say. a few weeks ago someone almost backed into me from a space in the safeway parking lot. i caught up at a light and calmly told the driver to be more careful. she got mad at me, said "well, i looked before i backed up". after all, that is what's important, isn't it?!
Old 04-25-2004, 06:54 PM
ilsegretosvx

Hey you were lucky, I had a guy stop in front of me at a green light and the car I was driving dove under the rear bumper of his car (I was accelerating and slammed on my brakes) I called a freind quickly to find out my options. He informed me that if I filed a report with the police it wouldn't matter because in our lovely state of California it would still be my fault (the car in front has the right of way). Not to mention the driver didnt have insurance nor spoke english. Meanwhile my deductable is 1k and the damage is $2300. I had to bite my lip and drive away with a broken grill bent hood and dented bumper.

Last edited by ilsegretosvx; 06-10-2004 at 01:18 AM.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:44 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
A simple trick to stop this situation.

If it looks like trouble, quickly hold a body part and moan (preferably your neck) it then becomes an injury accident so the Police have to file a report. As whiplash has no visible symptoms they cannot prove that you are faking it and cannot risk calling your bluff.

If the other party turns out to be a tasty chick, you might even get some liniment rubbed in

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 04-26-2004, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy

If it looks like trouble, quickly hold a body part and moan (preferably your neck) it then becomes an injury accident so the Police have to file a report. As whiplash has no visible symptoms they cannot prove that you are faking it and cannot risk calling your bluff.

If the other party turns out to be a tasty chick, you might even get some liniment rubbed in
actually with insurance, that is a brilliant idea. time consuming, but brilliant. you tell the cop that you feel dizzy and such and they whisk you away. i think you will have to contact the cop later to give your side of the story cause the cop IS supposed to get BOTH sides of the story.

there are alot of dirty cops out there. fyi-i knew some that took marijuana from the evidence locker and sold it. i saw it on the news and was like, hey i know that guy.

also if it'll make you feel better, i guess you could always write up what happened on a piece of paper and then have the dumb ass cop to sign it and add his badge number. that way if he doesn't put your side of the story in, you can nail his ass.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:50 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy

That is a dirty but effective trick, Andy. Good call!

"...tasty chick..." LOL

Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.