Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-27-2001, 09:32 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Randy,

Is a "gold possum" similar to a merit badge in the Boy Scouts. That brings back memories. I remember how proud I was back in Troop 314 in my old neighborhood.
I used to proudly display my merit badges for Switch Blade, Zip Gun, Blackjack, Hot Wiring, Shoplifting, etc. My favorite was for Crap Shooting.

Ah the good old days......

A tear whells up in Larry's eye and his heart thumps loudly in his chest .

Larry III
Old 09-27-2001, 09:34 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
My favorite was for Crap Shooting.
Larry III
Something I see you STILL have a great affinity for.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-27-2001, 10:05 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: you know.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Okay, now that I've cleared my head and have looked at things more objectively, let me see . . .

A) Posting our "opinions" is what it's all about. We all merely have to be prepared when someone disagrees with them. It's what makes the world go 'round.

B) I still think it's drivel (but that's just my opinion).

C) What else did he have to do? And, we'll get another tech, given time.

D) No, I'm not leaving. That decision was rash (you won't get rid of ME that easily. As far as meeting "such a middle aged group of children" You've obviously never worked in radio. And, thank you for calling me "middle aged" instead of old. "Ah, to be young and know it all."

E) If the point was so far buried that only an engineer could find it . . . well, need I say more.

F) Oh well . . . still in search of the illusive "Gold Star."

<Digs through trash can, places "moderator's" hat back onto head, removes tongue from cheek, and turns to today's work assignments )
Ah, now I remember Bosco. I don't know what happened to him, though. Last I saw him was on the Yahoo site. You'll tell me Eddy scared him off, but I didn't see the messages, so whatever.

A.) As I said, my opinions are always going to be posted and. more often than not, they'll be controversial.

B.) And I still say that you took my message out of context, which is why you call it drivel and why you got so pissed off. I think I can see why you call it drivel, and in that context, you're right. But you're not reading the message, then. Alternately, if it was for the 'once in a lifetime opportunity' line, I stand by it for Eddy's situation and dedication to the site, which are why he was able to devote so much time to this place. My contention is that we will probably never find someone with that much free time. Don't get wrong - I certainly hope we do.

C.) No, he didn't have anything better to do, which was part of my point. But having a lot of free time was only part of it. How many posts per day did he make? A lot.

D.) That's right - I do know it all. The sooner you realize that the better we'll get along.

E.) Larry got it because he works in objective terms. I said the accuracy of the technical information on this site would suffer and he was apparently the only one who read that line. Everyone else saw a chance to get pissed off again.

F.) Gold stars aren't awarded for any kind of meritous act. You just have to agree with me - or at least realize that despite our differences of opinion I have a point. We can cooperate all we want, we can have the greatest community of friendly people, but NONE of that makes up for the knowledge of someone who has been in there.

Before you get pissed off again, I'm not saying I'd trade community and cooperation for anything - because I wouldn't. I am SIMPLY saying that your ONE statement about us not needing someone with experience and that we can figure it out ourselves is, to steal a phrase, horse puckey.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 09-27-2001 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-27-2001, 10:07 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: you know.....

Quote:

Thanks Nick, Please don't call me "the engineer". I find that so limiting.

If Randy leaves here does that mean he's coming back to the Yahoo site?

Larry III
I'm sorry if I offended you, Larry. Of course you are not only an engineer. Your education and occupation as an engineer, however, applied specifically to that post.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 09-27-2001, 10:33 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: you know.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I'm sorry if I offended you, Larry. Of course you are not only an engineer. Your education and occupation as an engineer, however, applied specifically to that post.

Nick,

I'm just trying to tweak your funny bone. We all seem to be getting worked up over not much. Maybe it's just our internal anger coming out because of what happend on Sept. 11.

Larry III
Just my opion.
Old 09-27-2001, 10:42 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: you know.....

Quote:

Ah, now I remember Bosco. I don't know what happened to him, though. Last I saw him was on the Yahoo site.

Yeah, I tried to recruit him while he was still there -- he became offended by all the "flame wars" and left.

A.) As I said, my opinions are always going to be posted and. more often than not, they'll be controversial.

No problem. Mine will be also, as, I hope, everyone elses are -- controversial or not. But, civil, at the very least.

B.) Still waiting to find out why you call it drivel. If it was for the 'once in a lifetime opportunity' line, I stand by it for Eddy's state of employment and dedication to the site, which are why he was able to devote so much time to this place. My contention is that we will probably never find someone with that much free time. Don't get wrong - I certainly hope we do.

My "opinion" is that his "dedication" was more for his entertainment than for our benefit. The advice was a wonderful bonus and was withdrawn as a "punishment" when confronted with a simple request for decorum. Interestingly enough, the SECOND time it has happened.

C.) No, he didn't have anything better to do, which was part of my point. But having a lot of free time was only part of it. How many posts per day did he make? A lot.

Which leaves us where when eddy gets a full-time job? Up the proverbial unsanitary tributaries without proper means of propulsion? Yes, he made a lot of posts -- a great quantity of them "leading" questions or posts to set people up for a flame war.

D.) That's right - I do know it all. The sooner you realize that the better we'll get along.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist testing your reaction to one of eddy's "retorts" aimed in your direction. Now that I realize that you actually DO know it all, we should be able to get along. Truce?

E.) Larry got it because he works in objective terms. I said the accuracy of the technical information on this site would suffer and he was apparently the only one who read that line. Everyone else saw a chance to get pissed off again.

No, I read the line. "Accuracy" may suffer to a degree. To "accurately" suggest that one take their car to a dealership to have it checked out (the final "diagnosis" in many of eddy's suggestions) can be easily achieved.

F.) Gold stars aren't awarded for any kind of meritous act. You just have to agree with me - or at least realize that despite our differences of opinion I have a point. We can cooperate all we want, we can have the greatest community of friendly people, but NONE of that makes up for the knowledge of someone who has been in there.

[/I] Yes, you have a point. My point was (and it's just my opinion) that more and more of us are "being there" more and more, all the time. And in that accumulated experience of "being there" over and over again, the gathering of first hand knowledge will add to the collective pool of solutions. Half the fun of working on a car is learning about it and knowing that the "common man" is capable of doing it. Yes, we will learn from our successes, but, we will also learn from mistakes (hopefully other's and not our own). [/I]

Before you get pissed off again, I'm not saying I'd trade community and cooperation for anything. I am SIMPLY saying that your ONE statement about us not needing someone with experience and that we can figure it out ourselves is, to steal a phrase, horse puckey.

[/I] I often battle between "need" and "want." I "needed" an SVX because it was all wheel drive and would get me back and forth in the snow on my 40 mile commute. Truth is, I "wanted" an SVX. We "want" and would love to have a full-time tech to answer our questions. History shows us (from the early days of the Yahoo club to now) that "need" may not be the appropriate terminology. And -- I wasn't "pissed off" -- a little intense, maybe, but, not "pissed off." See you tomorrow. [/I]

Subaru Ambassador

Old 09-27-2001, 10:45 AM
Lowered SVX

i dont think i could have said things....

any better than SVX Type R. maybe you saw a different side of eddy than i did mr. pockets, because i just dont agree with you in regards to how valuable eddy was. i have gotten most of my answers on this site just from people who have experienced the same problems. but i am not much of a do-it-yourselfer so maybe that is the difference. anyway it is a shame that got this blown out of proportion anyway.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 09-27-2001, 11:03 AM

Registered SVX
Re: i dont think i could have said things....

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
any better than SVX Type R. maybe you saw a different side of eddy than i did mr. pockets, because i just dont agree with you in regards to how valuable eddy was. i have gotten most of my answers on this site just from people who have experienced the same problems. but i am not much of a do-it-yourselfer so maybe that is the difference. anyway it is a shame that got this blown out of proportion anyway.
See, I think I did (and still do) see a different side. But then I never got insulted by anything he said (either through my tolerance or a lack of insults in the first place...I'm not sure...I also work in an office where insults and wisecracks fly constantly) and I am looking to maintain and repair my SVX as Subaru intended. Since my car has always been well-maintained, and at 124k miles has never needed anything major, I see merit in the 'stock only' argument. Some people have nothing BUT problems with their cars and are looking for different ways to service them. I also don't want to modify the car any more than is absolutely necessary, which is about all Eddy will accept. 'I need to fix this, is it related to that other thing I modified,' admittedly sometimes provoked a less-than-polite response from the guy.

Anyway, being one of the rare SVX purists, I think I do see a different side and place more value on Eddy's help.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 09-27-2001, 11:15 AM

Registered SVX
Re: A small distinction that seems to be overlooked...

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXtypeR
Eddie was and experienced tech, with that I will not argue. What I specifically take exception to is when he bashes something *he* knows nothing about. Allow me to explain...
I just didn't want to quote your entire message. Sorry.

Anyway, I agree with some of what you said...some of it I didn't. But, hey, that's what makes this so much fun.

I saw Eddy's forum as a place to go to ask very specific questions about repairing or servicing Subarus the way Subaru intended. I have no current plans to modify my SVX or my other two Subarus, so his 'garage' fit my needs exactly.

As for his knowledge being limited, that's up for debate. Eddy is extremely close-minded about modifying the cars, but he DOES know an awful lot. I don't think I could have repaired my '85 GL by myself without his help. Eddy gave me very specific information about a 16-year-old car. Combined with the details he's provided me about the SVX, I don't find that the word 'limited' fits.

Okay, I'm pretty well done with this thread, and I'll forget about it over the weekend anyway. So I just want to make sure I say this:

I agree with you concerning your conflicts with Eddy over modifying the car. I think he absolutely could get out of line with some of you, and I'm sorry you had those experiences.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 09-27-2001, 11:17 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: you know.....

Quote:

Nick,

I'm just trying to tweak your funny bone. We all seem to be getting worked up over not much. Maybe it's just our internal anger coming out because of what happend on Sept. 11.

Larry III
Just my opion.
And therein lies my point about how stuff can be taken the wrong way too easily, or at least too seriously, in a forum like this. For all I knew you were crying in your oatmeal over me calling you 'the engineer.'

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 09-27-2001, 11:20 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: you know.....

Quote:
Sorry, I just couldn't resist testing your reaction to one of eddy's "retorts" aimed in your direction.
And I think that's why I don't get offended by Eddy's posts - because I am pretty much the same kind of asshole.

Quote:
Now that I realize that you actually DO know it all, we should be able to get along. Truce?
Absolutely. No truces necessary. Some people take things far too personally here. Throwing hats in the trash and letting this stuff ruin your day and whatnot. Jeez...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 09-27-2001, 12:17 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: you know.....

Quote:
Some people take things far too personally here. Throwing hats in the trash and letting this stuff ruin your day and whatnot. Jeez...
Jeez, indeed. I admit it, I'm guilty, I apologize. Now, let's laugh about it over a COLD BEER this weekend. Can't wait.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 09-27-2001, 12:46 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: you know.....

Quote:

Jeez, indeed. I admit it, I'm guilty, I apologize. Now, let's laugh about it over a COLD BEER this weekend. Can't wait.
Whew! I was afrain Steve and I might have to be referees in some sort of mud wrasslin' contest this weekend.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 09-27-2001, 01:15 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: you know.....

Quote:

You can have the beer, and I'll have a coke or a tall glass of milk or something...maybe a juice box to fit the 'kid' profile you elderlies like to assign to people under the age of 30 on this site.

No, really, I don't drink beer. I can't stand the way it smells or tastes. And don't get me started on 'acquired tastes.' Poop could be an acquired taste, too. My point is, if it makes you retch the first time, why try it again?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 09-27-2001, 01:17 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: you know.....

Quote:
Poop
There ya go bringin Poop into it again.
Subaru Ambassador