How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-05-2001, 12:20 PM
kvnobrien

Smile I got felt on my car :D

I was installing new speakers so I had the door panels off. I looked at the glass stabilizer and the felt on one of the has fallen off. I can see it dangling off the plastic piece that it now scratching the glass on the driver's side door. I've seen this problem on other's cars at SVX meets and no one really new how to fix. Tonight I'll be using some soft velcro (with glue on the other side) to see if this fixes the problem.

Kev

Related to post:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...cratches+glass
Old 09-05-2001, 12:28 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: I got felt on my car :D

Quote:
Originally posted by kvnobrien
I was installing new speakers so I had the door panels off. I looked at the glass stabilizer and the felt on one of the has fallen off. I can see it dangling off the plastic piece that it now scratching the glass on the driver's side door. I've seen this problem on other's cars at SVX meets and no one really new how to fix. Tonight I'll be using some soft velcro (with glue on the other side) to see if this fixes the problem.

Kev

Related to post:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...cratches+glass

Oh yeah. There are inboard and outboard stabilizers on the SVX. The felt on the outboard stabilizers eventually pick up the dirt and grit off the outside window and create sandpaper. It was one of the first things I noticed and asked about on the Yahoo club (way back in 99 ).

I have yet to get new ones, nor have I ordered the cerium oxide kit from JC Whitney to try to buff the scratches out (I'm chicken and was waiting for John Shotsky to play Guinea Pig -- which he didn't -- drat!). But, make sure, if you plan on polishing, or haveing someone else polish the scratches out, to replace the outboard stabilizer pads. Otherwise, you're just going to make those scratches return.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-05-2001, 12:36 PM
oneothefewproud

cerium oxide kit

Randy,

Will that stuff work on the pits on the windshield as well. When I am driving directly into the sun it is most difficult to see out.

Thanx
Wayne
Old 09-05-2001, 12:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: cerium oxide kit

Quote:
Originally posted by oneothefewproud
Randy,

Will that stuff work on the pits on the windshield as well. When I am driving directly into the sun it is most difficult to see out.

Thanx
Wayne
Sorry, cerium oxide only works on fine scratches. Pits are virtually impossible to fix. I've used the "loc-tite" glass repair, with some success, on "bulls eyes" and such, but, haven't really worked on any pits. I don't guess it would hurt to try. It's available (loc-tite glass repair) at your local chain auto store. Check the label and see if it would apply in your case. That's the only thing I can think of, barring professional glass repair or replacement.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 09-05-2001, 01:12 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Hey poobah

Send me a box big enough to fit a left front door glass in, (with the proper postage on it of course), and I'll send you a donor glass to try it out on. If it works for you I'll make you a sweet deal on the glass, if it doesn't just tell me, I trust ya...then it'd be no charge. It's not doing me any good sitting in my basement, and the cats don't like it as a bed either.

BTW-that sweet deal would be under 25 bucks...Black Velvet is only 20.25 a jug here.
Old 09-05-2001, 01:18 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Hey poobah

Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000
Send me a box big enough to fit a left front door glass in, (with the proper postage on it of course), and I'll send you a donor glass to try it out on. If it works for you I'll make you a sweet deal on the glass, if it doesn't just tell me, I trust ya...then it'd be no charge. It's not doing me any good sitting in my basement, and the cats don't like it as a bed either.

BTW-that sweet deal would be under 25 bucks...Black Velvet is only 20.25 a jug here.
Give me dimensions and weight. I'll start lookin' for a box.
Subaru Ambassador