Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-02-2001, 03:02 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Funny SVXperience

We've all had dozens of these encounters, but I thought I'd mention this one anyway.

A couple weeks ago my company had a Saturday picnic at a park in town. My wife and I were on the way when we saw that a high school was holding a charity car-wash sort of thing. I figured, hey, why not?

We pulled in and I drove up next to a lady handing out promotional stuff that area businesses had chipped in. Coupons, ads, etc. Made the car wash deal a little sweeter.

This lady's jaw *drops* and she takes a step back, removing her sunglasses.

'NOW I know why I agreed to do this,' she exclaims. 'That is a NEAT car!'

We take the swag and advance to the pre-rinsing station. A rental company must have donated power-washers, because the kids were hooked up. Rinse the car, move on to the washing...

...whereupon more than TWENTY high school students descended upon my car like ants on a Twinkie. Terrifying, but we made it to the drying...

...where more than TWENTY MORE high school students with towels rushed the car again. I had already locked the doors at the previous station, but I reached for the buttom again. If snapped correctly, over twenty wet towels MIGHT be able to break glass, I figured.

We made it through safe and sound. Barely. But as we made our donation, we could have no idea what horror awaited us next.

This high school has a giant parking lot, divided into huge sections ('Giant,' in this context, is apparently bigger than 'huge.'). I turned down the wrong one was was met by a sea of cones, arranged in an obvious obstacle course. 'Autocrossing,' I wondered. Nope. City bus driver training.

'ACK!' A quick throw of the selector shoved the car in reverse and probably shortened the life of the transmission as my wife and I were hurtled backwards - but out of the way of a careening bus that had the remnants of a dozen or so cones stuffed in its grille.

Okay, okay, I admit that I embellished the story a little at the end. The bus-driver training was actually pretty boring and pedestrian, but they DO make those guys thread the buses through spaces I might not be able to fit the SVX through.

Back to work...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-02-2001, 04:13 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Car washes

Yeah, I've taken the SVX through a couple of those teeny bopper car washes. Haven't been too satisfied with the wash jobs, but I got to tell ya, they didn't build teenaged girls like that when I was in school! And they are wearing bikini's to boot. On a side note, when doing this I *always* take the wife with me, she doesn't mind if I gawk, and I tend to say less when she's there.
Old 09-02-2001, 07:36 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Oh...my achey sides...

<..whereupon more than TWENTY high school students descended upon my car like ants on a Twinkie>

Hehehe.....sometimes someone says something JUST right and it tickles my funny bone big time...

Ants on a Twinkie....hehe....sure beats ducks on a June bug...good one Mr.Pockets! Great story... Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 09-03-2001, 06:35 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Re: Funny SVXperience

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

This lady's jaw *drops* and she takes a step back, removing her sunglasses.

'NOW I know why I agreed to do this,' she exclaims. 'That is a NEAT car!'

I had a rather cute experience this weekend. Yesterday, we went to church in Butler, MO., with our daughter and son-in-law.
We got the strangest look from a young lad of about nine as we were parking. He was absolutely awe-stricken. He was sort of a nerdy little guy, with his white shirt and black tie, but, you know, it was church. He just didn't look like a car-crazed kid. He followed us to where we parked (I didn't see any parents) and just kind of stared while we got our things together. When I finally opened the door, he said, "What kind of car is that?"
The service was pretty good, too.

Steve
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>