IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2003, 09:03 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
I wonder if a 2.5 tubo would fit in my Outback. I have an Outback with a 2.5L NA engine. It makes 165 HP and 1`63 fy-lbs. of torque at around 4300 rpm. IMHO it is a snail. Once it gets moving it's ok for what it is. But getting up to speed is a long long time. I really notice it when I come home driving the SVX then go out driving the Outback. What a difference. I would like to get more initial pickup on the Outback. I don't know if a turbo setup is the right thing. I drove the OB with the new Suby six and that cured most of the initial pickup problems from a standing start. The Outback seems to be like the old Timex watch commercials. It gets the crap beat out of it and just keeps going.
That's how I feel about the Legacy. It's a nice, reliable, safe car. Yeah, when I drive the SVX home and then hop in my wife's 2.2l Legacy wagon, it feels slow. But I don't really care.

Maybe I'd feel differently if it was my car and not my wife's.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-12-2003, 11:02 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
It gets the crap beat out of it and just keeps going.
Why do I have a hard time seeing you or Rosie beating the crap out of a car Larry?

Todd
Old 06-12-2003, 02:19 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark

while we're way off-topic, can anyone explain why NASCAR uses carbuerated old-school engines? while F1, WRC, etc. push the limits of technology, NASCAR (or as i like to call it "the Big Left Turn") just doesn't seem to care. <snore>
Because Nascar SUCKS. That's why.

- Rob

PS: Back in the 60s, Nascar was cool. THe cars racing were actually the cars you could buy, with no interior and a few upgrades on the engines you could actually GET with that car. Now its a bunch of jelly bean cars with tube frames, rwd, and potent v8s, something you can no longer buy. Plus, Nascar knows that there are more ford and chevy people than there are mopar fans, so they basically screwed mopar because they were winning all the races.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:53 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane

Because Nascar SUCKS. That's why.

- Rob

PS: Back in the 60s, Nascar was cool. THe cars racing were actually the cars you could buy, with no interior and a few upgrades on the engines you could actually GET with that car. Now its a bunch of jelly bean cars with tube frames, rwd, and potent v8s, something you can no longer buy. Plus, Nascar knows that there are more ford and chevy people than there are mopar fans, so they basically screwed mopar because they were winning all the races.
This is just a guess, but I think that NASKER's decisions probably had more to do with their fear of any kind of innovation or one team having a specific advantage.

It's something every racing series wrestles with. NASKER is just deep in the 'restrict everything so it's fair' end of the spectrum.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-12-2003, 04:51 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Yep...

<It's something every racing series wrestles with. NASKER is just deep in the 'restrict everything so it's fair' end of the spectrum>

....to the point of keeping restrictor plates on the cars at Taladega and Daytona to keep the speeds down....and then bunching up the field so that one mistake takes out half the field.
True, the cars would be going about 230 without them, but the roof flaps would prevent the cars from getting airborne over the fencing. Bobby Allison's car nearly did that once, and lead to the use of the restrictor plates in the first place. (The thought of a Winston Cup car flying into the grandstands made Bill France turn white as a sheet)

As a side note, Toyota will be in the Nascar Truck series next year.
They had to design a new (?) conventional (?) engine to use.
No overhead cams.

While we are already off-topic (?) did anyone see the Gordon/Montoya car swap at Indy yesterday? Very interesting!
Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"

Last edited by SVXphile; 06-12-2003 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:06 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Moving right along....

.....but getting back on topic here, don't they race Foresters down in Australia?

Seems like I remember seeing that on Speed Channel over the winter....

Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"