Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 09-29-2014, 07:25 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
Battery swap - SVX to Infiniti G35

The battery is shot in my G35, and since my SVX is dead right now, I was wondering if i could use the battery from it. It's a higher rated CCA than the infiniti but close.

I have an Everstart Maxx 24 (770 CCA) in the SVX, and the infiniti calls for an Everstart 35N (640 CCA)

Other than that, the batteries look about the same in size, terminals, etc.

Anyone know if it would work okay to change over? Just curious before I go out and drop the $$ on a new battery.
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:06 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: Battery swap - SVX to Infiniti G35

CCA doesn't have any effect on battery application. As long as it fits you're good to go. I always stuffed the biggest battery I could find into the SVX. Think I had 850 CCA at one point...

However, now that my car is a summer only vehicle I want this battery:

http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com...ries-ytx12-24/

720 amps from a lithium motorcycle-sized battery. It weighs 5 pounds. Five!!! My Optima was 35 or 40 pounds.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 09-29-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:16 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Weight reduction comes at a premium price.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:46 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX

Cool, I just didn't want to inadvertantly fry something in my Infiniti if the battery was more power than it was expecting.
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:36 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by halistan View Post
Cool, I just didn't want to inadvertantly fry something in my Infiniti if the battery was more power than it was expecting.
as long as its 12V and fits, you're good to go. you want highest CCA you can get .... well i do, anyway .... we get snow. if you're in Texas, probably not that important. just get one that meets or exceeds the manufacturer's recommendation.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-01-2014, 07:52 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Registered SVX

Hey Alan! Good to see you still around. I didn't think you still hung around here anymore.

I tried the SVX battery but the posts were on the back and so the Infiniti cables wouldn't reach.

I ended up going to COSTCO and got the OEM battery from them. It was $30 less than the 24F (posts on front) battery so I went with the OEM instead. It's 560CCA instead of the 780 that the 24F was but it seems to work just fine.

You're right, here in TX we don't get that kind of weather so its not as critical. I don't plan on having the G35 much longer anyway so why spend the extra $$
Old 10-01-2014, 08:30 AM
Hater

Quote:
Hey Alan! Good to see you still around. I didn't think you still hung around here anymore.

i wouldn't say i hang around here - i just pass through from time to time.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-01-2014, 10:51 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:

I tried the SVX battery but the posts were on the back and so the Infiniti cables wouldn't reach.

I ended up going to COSTCO and got the OEM battery from them. It was $30 less than the 24F (posts on front) battery so I went with the OEM instead. It's 560CCA instead of the 780 that the 24F was but it seems to work just fine.

You're right, here in TX we don't get that kind of weather so its not as critical. I don't plan on having the G35 much longer anyway so why spend the extra $$
Good choice since higher CCA is NOT better in most cases. In fact, it is worse. All else being equal, which means not comparing a battery from a crappy company to a good one, lower CCA batteries last longer and are less likely to have degraded capacity over time. High CCA batteries have an electrode design which is capable of generating more current to a given load, when new. But those electrodes also degrade faster as the battery is drained and recharged. They are especially sensitive to deep discharge and recharge cycles. Unless you run thick oil in -20F conditions, going way over the CCA spec for the car won't benefit you and you will hurt you long term.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: