Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
She's gone

Well, my SVX is gone. There's a lot of expenses to keep up on with the new house, so I tossed it up for sale. I ended up putting it on craigslist. Got a bunch of **** offers, as it always happens that way. There were even a few decent ones. I had a bunch of people offering to trade things, like a computer (don't try and tell me how your pentium class d powered computer with 1gb of ram in nothing more than a shiny $50 case with neon lights and windows is worth my SVX), an rv or rv trailer, stuff like that. I was entertaining a couple trade offers that included cash, because that was my only real reason I'd sell it, I needed to pay some freaking bills.

The guy was decent enough. His ex-wife left him and took everything but his truck and his bike. Then his truck died on him, and he had no way to get back and forth to work. He offered me his bike and a fair chunk of change. Everything checked out, so now he's rocking an awesome unique car that is rock solid reliable. And now I can catch up on some bills, build my new garage, and ride around on a new scooter when it's nice out.

It's an 01 Yamaha Roadstar. 1602cc or 98ci, 63hp, 98lb torque. It's comfortable as all hell, with cruise control, 2 tripometers, clock on the tank, lots of neat little bells and whistles. I took it on a 200 mile road trip and, other than the state of NJ trying to kill me, it was a real nice ride.

(by nj kill me i mean soon as i hit the road have the worlds heaviest fog set in, roads wet, temp drop to 45F, low beam out, only high beam in super heavy fog, run out of gas, super winding roads, asshole drivers, no towns, can't see due to fog droplets on glasses, have to keep wiping them off. Once I hit the PA boarder, it was clear as day, light as day, no fog no rain, warmed up to about 60F, and was generally beautiful out. I survived NJ, but not by much. 3 hours to go 70 miles. I'll be watching you NJ...)

I'll buy another SVX down the road when finances are more stable, I've always wanted a pearly. So, it's gone, but not forgotten.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 10-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
Re: She's gone

Sweet So she's not really "gone", just gone to a new home. I saw "She's gone" and I think 0h n0es he wrecked it!
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 10-17-2009, 10:55 PM

Registered SVX

ya same, "wrapped around a tree" was the first thing that came to mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondasucks View Post
Sweet So she's not really "gone", just gone to a new home. I saw "She's gone" and I think 0h n0es he wrecked it!
Old 10-18-2009, 07:39 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Jay,
It's hard to believe that nobody jumped on this car when it was put up for sale here. With all the upgrades you put in I thought it would have been a no brainer?? I kept going back to look at your for sale post and was very tempted to just buy this car and try to unload mine. But in the end although I really want a 5 speed, I feel a strange loyalty to my svx and couldn't really bear the thought of parting with her, even for one that was already set up perfectly.
I'm glad you got a fair deal on it, and I hope the new owner takes care of it as good as you did. That's a nice bike too! Is he another PA guy?
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 10-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
I feel a strange loyalty to my svx
On this forum Sean? Man you are weird.

Jay, That's a very nice bike and I wish you good times and good fortune with it. And as they used to say on Hill Street, "be careful out there"

You are an SVX person Jay. You will get your Pearlie, and a good one. Don't go away anywhere, keep in touch here. It's always been fun having you around.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-18-2009, 09:49 AM
Now down to only ONE!

I know you will befriend another SVX along the way, but a GARAGE Jay?...

That will make us jealous.

PS- Good looking bike.

C
96 SVX Lsi #821, Bordeaux Pearl, 4.44 98 Legacy Trans, Trans Resistor Mod, Dakota Digital Trans Temp Gauge on A-Pillar Pod (awesome), B&M Trans Cooler in Driver's Wheel Well, External Spin-on Trans Filter, Synthetic Fluids in Trans and Diffs, 17x7.5 Primax 695 Rims, Alcyone Rear Panel, Svxfiles' 5000 k HIDs, Clear Headlights, "BOXER6" License Plate, Hard Wired Radar Detector, 94 Power Up Window Switch, Motor Resealed, new Coil Packs, new NGK Iridium Plugs, PVC Valve, Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Gloss Black Calipers and Rotors, EBC Greenstuff Pads, SS Brake Lines, Superb TomsSVX Cat Back Exhaust... SS Resonator, Flowmaster 80 Muffler, Magnaflow Quad SS Tips, Poly Swaybar Bushings, Endlink Mod, Rear Subframe Bushing Mod. Feels great and sounds even better. Thanks to AWD, LLC.

2003 Outback llb H6 3.0 Titanium Pearl- "BOXERR" Mostly Stock

1995 Bmw 325i Conv. Calypso Red- "RBOXER" Modest Mods

2004 Sea Doo Sportster 4-tec 15' Jet Boat, 1494cc, 1454#, 155 HP= <10#/HP Stock
Old 10-18-2009, 02:13 PM

Indeed I do miss my SVX. Awesome car, rock solid no doubt about it. Hopefully the guy who got it will take care of it.

I have 1 car garage now, but it's just big enough for the bike... I'm expanding and adding a 2 bay garage, so the extra room will prove useful I'm sure. I barely have space for my workbenches.

I'm hanging around, no doubt about that. There's a couple nice pearlies I've seen for sale, but the money isn't there just yet. I took the offer on the bike because my other two bikes have been what seems like an endless work in progress. The one is ready to go, but I just can't get fuel sucked up in the carbs, and I have no idea why. I've rebuilt htem about 15 times now with no luck. I've been over every inch and can't find anything wrong. Guess I'll just have to keep at it.

The riding season is pretty much over around here, unless we get a couple nice days, she'll be in the garage until spring. There's a recall on the trans that I'm taking it in for next week. To do the recall they have to crack the engine, which means a full and free reseal, new 4th gear, oil change, new filters, and all that, at no cost to me. After that I'll fill the tank and add some fuel stabalizer and away she goes.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 02-21-2010, 05:20 PM
dances with roads

Registered SVX

She's baaaaack...
2012 Tacoma 4wd v6 Access Cab
2013 Mercedes E350 4Matic Wagon
2005 STi - totaled after 10 great years
1994 SVX LSi 5spd - sold but not forgotten
2000 Legacy GT 5spd sedan - gone after 150K miles of bliss
Old 02-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

So why didn't the idiot just ride his bike to work?

Oh right its a weekend warrier toy not a real motorcycle. Just think you only have about 30 more hp then my 174cc 39 year old relic!

Jay, sounds to me like your carb problem might be one of a couple things. I'm assuming you can get it running just fine on starter fluid so I'd guess that compression is out. Is it a vacumn operated petcock? If so try putting a mitty vac on it. If it isn't I'd suspect it has diaphrams in the carbs. If they are torn that could be the problem. Then again, depending on which bike it is it is odd for more than 1 to go at a time.

Last edited by benebob; 02-21-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:14 PM

Oh it's a real motorcycle, don't you worry about that

The other bikes are gone, I'm down to 2 vehicles, the truck and the bike. I got the other bikes running again though.

The bike I got, well... It was running rear cylinder only. The intake lifter had colapsed, thus when the cam came around and lifted, being hydraulically controlled, the lifter colapsed, and didn't push the pushrod, so the rockers didn't rock, and the valves didn't open to spray fuel.

Replaced the lifter, but the cam was worn. Replaced the cams with more agressive cams, paired with adjustable pushrods, and heftier rocker springs, and ceramic lifters. There was an open recall on the 4th gear retaining clip, which involved completely breaking down the engine, so free gaskets all around for me. Did the other stuff without having to worry about a gasket kit as they were all brand new. Others are claiming between 90-100 hp and 120lb torque with this setup.

A buddy of mine and I plan to rock Tail of the Dragon this summer. It should be fun. I have had a blast on the bike, but I'm not a year round rider like some people .

I still have a longing for a cb350 cafe style for around town. Little old bikes like that are awesome. But the low center of gravity, where both my feet can actually touch the ground, of my roadstar, makes it really comfortable, and quite manageable, both around town and on the highway.

Yes, my SVX is back! It seems it took a pretty good beating while it was away, but it's new owner seems like quite a decent guy who doesn't let his cars go to ****. I hope that he can make it to Reading. We've conversed about what I did, where it is, what's been done, and what happened between when I had it and when he got it.

It was a vacuum opperated petcock, and I got it going. And sold it yesterday. Helloooooo refsurfaced hardwood floors, which were desperately needed in hte dining room. Mortgage eats the whole check, I bought at my limit. Any modifications or improvements come from selling assets I own, for now. It sucks, but the house is MINE!

Old 02-21-2010, 10:17 PM

Also, here's a link to the lifter that colapsed, and ate my cam:
http://serial.cc/roadstar/lifters/IMAG0074.jpg

And here's after the repairs were done:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdjC5F2cvXw

Old 02-22-2010, 04:12 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX View Post
Oh it's a real motorcycle, don't you worry about that

A buddy of mine and I plan to rock Tail of the Dragon this summer. It should be fun. I have had a blast on the bike, but I'm not a year round rider like some people .

I still have a longing for a cb350 cafe style for around town. Little old bikes like that are awesome. But the low center of gravity, where both my feet can actually touch the ground, of my roadstar, makes it really comfortable, and quite manageable, both around town and on the highway.
Sure its a real bike if you pee sitting down,

Please rethink your dragon ytrip.
You'll only grind your bike to bits trying to go the speed limit and will likely endager the lives of all the people who are obligated to pass yaLOL
Old 02-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Sure its a real bike if you pee sitting down,
Ouchness...

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.