Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Wheels / Tires

Old 09-29-2009, 03:52 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
18x9 +38 Rota G-Force

Well, my SVX has been idle for a while now due to prep for paint and some mechanical issues (that you may or may not be following in the Tech Q&A section ). In order to get it to the shop for some repairs I had to put wheels back onto it, so I figured it was time to test fit the wheels I bought for it about 6 months ago.

These are 18x9 Rota G-force wheels with 225/40R18 Toyo Proxes T1R tires.

I love the fit...exactly what I was looking for. The gold color will go nicely with the finished product. Can't wait to post pictures of the entire thing completed. Here's to hoping I get the mechanical stuff addressed so that the paint portion can be completed!

92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 09-29-2009, 04:29 PM

Re: 18x9 +38 Rota G-Force

That is an aggressive fitment... how does it do with fender clearance? does it require rolling the fender lip?

I've often wondered how the STI fitment of this wheel would look on an SVX... and probably pretty close to what you have there...

I like how your wheels fit, but I am not the biggest fan of wheel spokes extending outboard, past the disc face of the wheel.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

It will RUB. Do the mechanicals first, drive it to test the clearance, some hard corners, bumps, 4 passengers in the car...

But I guarantee you it will hit in the back. I have 17x8.5 and I had to stretch the fenders and roll them + 1" plate above the rear struts in order not to rub. Imagine with 18x9 rims...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:27 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Stretching a 225 tire on there should help to alleviate the rubbing issues, but it's definitely still a potential problem.

How much clearance is there from the back of the wheel to the strut?

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 09-30-2009, 03:17 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
It will RUB. Do the mechanicals first, drive it to test the clearance, some hard corners, bumps, 4 passengers in the car...

But I guarantee you it will hit in the back. I have 17x8.5 and I had to stretch the fenders and roll them + 1" plate above the rear struts in order not to rub. Imagine with 18x9 rims...
Were you running stock spring perches or did you have coilovers? A SVX with coilovers has a LOT more room on the inside of the wheel. The black car I have used to roll with 18x8.5 +40 Rays with 255/35/18's...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-30-2009, 10:28 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10

drove it for the first time tonight with these wheels. It does rub, but not sure how bad. Heard it a couple times over some pretty large bumps as I drove home. Nothing terrible. May just dial in some extra negative camber since this car won't be a daily driver.

As far as the inner clearance goes, that's no prob. The +38 offset is different enough to account for the width increase.

The 225's definitely are necessary also. Otherwise there'd be no way!

Anyway, it's all for looks. The car's pretty much just gonna be a show piece when it's done anyway. Here's to negative camber!
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 10-01-2009, 01:19 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
Were you running stock spring perches or did you have coilovers? A SVX with coilovers has a LOT more room on the inside of the wheel. The black car I have used to roll with 18x8.5 +40 Rays with 255/35/18's...
No I only had stock springs with modified stock shock absorbers (stiffer). My rims offset is 32.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
No I only had stock springs with modified stock shock absorbers (stiffer). My rims offset is 32.
A SVX with coilovers has a lot more room to play with offsets and rim/ tire widths. My rear fenders are also now rolled to give even more clearance.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5