How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-13-2009, 09:10 AM
Looks and smells great.

Leaking in a Few Places; Self-Repair?

I have a leak in my transmission cooler line and in my steering racks (or so I am told by the repair shop). I was quoted around $100 for the tranny cooler line and around $870 for the steering racks.

My wife and I are very strapped for cash at the moment, so I'm wondering if these are repairs I can do myself. I'm not too horribly mechanically inclined, but I can do things like brakes and oil changes.

Any idea what this entails, and how complex it is? Thanks for any advice!
1992 LSL Pearlie: 108k, 15min/$15 mod, Alternator wiring "upgrade," Power Mode switch, K&N drop-in, 4500k 35w low-beam HIDs, 3000k 35w fog HIDs, lots more planned (pending funds, of course)- 4.44 5spd being at the top of the list.
"We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
-C.S. Lewis
Old 01-13-2009, 09:52 AM

Re: Leaking in a Few Places; Self-Repair?

Assuming the transmission cooler line that's leaking is rubber hose and not hard line, that's cheap and easy. You can buy the cooler line by the foot at any auto parts place.

A reman steering rack is going to cost you $250-$350 just for the part, and you'll need an alignment after you're done. If it's not leaking badly and there's no play in the steering, you could probably postpone that while you save-up the money.

dcb
Old 01-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Make sure its really leaking. I had a shop inform me It was leaking and they couldnt do an alignment but I decided not to take their word. I had leaking oil at the time. and a leaking transmission line. To my knowledge I do not have a leaking steering rack.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 01-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Looks and smells great.

I know for a fact that I have tranny fluid leaking (I have a pink mess on my garage mat), but not the steering rack. I do get a bit of shaking in the wheel at higher speeds (around 60+ if I'm turning; not in a straight line so much), but I also have a bad bearing.

I'll have to take a look under her and see if it's something I can isolate. I'll probably be back looking for help!

Thanks for the advice! I love to repair myself, but I'm quite the n008.
1992 LSL Pearlie: 108k, 15min/$15 mod, Alternator wiring "upgrade," Power Mode switch, K&N drop-in, 4500k 35w low-beam HIDs, 3000k 35w fog HIDs, lots more planned (pending funds, of course)- 4.44 5spd being at the top of the list.
"We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
-C.S. Lewis
Old 01-14-2009, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
I do get a bit of shaking in the wheel at higher speeds (around 60+ if I'm turning; not in a straight line so much), but I also have a bad bearing.
I'd be more worried about a bad front wheel bearing than a a leaky steering rack.

dcb
Old 01-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
I'd be more worried about a bad front wheel bearing than a a leaky steering rack.

dcb
Agreed, Try some power steering stop leak stuff. Can't think of the brand but my mechanic put it in our Durango and its only dropped about 1/8 inch from full in 6+months and 8k+ miles.

Oh wait, will that stuff be alright in ours since ours use ATF and not actual power steering fluid???