Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2008, 12:32 AM

code 56, EGR Valve how to identify the faulty part?

Dear All,

in the last couple of months the check engine light came on once a while. Typically just abou3-5 minutes after I started the engine and it never stays on for mor than let's say 20-30 seconds.
Now I read out the code, its #56 --> EGR valve. The manual is not very conclusive, there are some parts which could cause the problem.
So considering the appearance of the defect I doubt its a leakage of the 14 year old hoses somewhere. My best bet is the EGR valve itself.
But maybe one of you guys experienced the same thing before and already knows the answer?

Thanks in advance!

Marcus
Old 04-20-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Dear All,

in the last couple of months the check engine light came on once a while. Typically just abou3-5 minutes after I started the engine and it never stays on for mor than let's say 20-30 seconds.
Now I read out the code, its #56 --> EGR valve. The manual is not very conclusive, there are some parts which could cause the problem.
So considering the appearance of the defect I doubt its a leakage of the 14 year old hoses somewhere. My best bet is the EGR valve itself.
But maybe one of you guys experienced the same thing before and already knows the answer?

Thanks in advance!

Marcus
Before replacing the egr valve how do your car runs if the valve is stuck open or stuck closed it will run horrible I forgot switch but also there is also a egr sensor also that I replaced near the egr valve that solved my problem,I will get the part that I replaced if you can't locate it.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:34 PM

Sorry about the shabby post but your car should run like something clogging the intake if your egr valve is stuck open.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:43 PM

I replaced my exhaust temp sensor,I think you can check that sensor with a little heat and a multimeter,check your shop manual.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:55 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
My egr was stuck open and the car ran like crap, especially when it warmed up. Good luck replacing it.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredx2 View Post
Before replacing the egr valve how do your car runs if the valve is stuck open or stuck closed it will run horrible I forgot switch but also there is also a egr sensor also that I replaced near the egr valve that solved my problem,I will get the part that I replaced if you can't locate it.
Hi Poweredx2, thanks a lot for your offer! It might be to early to start replacing parts as the fault only occurs once a while. Now that I know how to read the ECU Memory I will try to trac the occurence systematically. Anyway, now that you told me that the car will run realy bad, I am in doubt its the EGR valve.
The check engine light comes on in the warm up phase while I am crusing at about 60 miles/h, no noise or something. Next time I will accellerate upon occurance, then I schould know for sure wether the engine runs smooth.

However, do you remember the Subaru Part# for the sensor you replaced?

Thanks for all the helpfull replies!

Marcus
Old 04-23-2008, 07:53 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
The valve is probably stuck closed. I say this because the temp sensor doesn't like it when it doesn't see heat... This is how the ECU determines if there is an EGR issue or not. Best thing to do now would be to test the temp sensor like Poweredx2 has recomended..... BTW its good to see ya here bud

Tom
Old 04-24-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Hi Poweredx2, thanks a lot for your offer! It might be to early to start replacing parts as the fault only occurs once a while. Now that I know how to read the ECU Memory I will try to trac the occurence systematically. Anyway, now that you told me that the car will run realy bad, I am in doubt its the EGR valve.
The check engine light comes on in the warm up phase while I am crusing at about 60 miles/h, no noise or something. Next time I will accellerate upon occurance, then I schould know for sure wether the engine runs smooth.

However, do you remember the Subaru Part# for the sensor you replaced?

Thanks for all the helpfull replies!

Marcus
It was the exhaust temp sensor,check subaruparts.com
Old 06-08-2008, 08:43 PM

Registered SVX
So I noticed a reduction in mpg and had the CEL flash once in a while. I pulled the code and it was a 56 which is the EGR. What is the procedure to check the exhaust temp sensor? I don't have a shop manual and I'm not sure where it is. The car runs fine just poor mileage. It also smells like it's running rich.
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 06-09-2008, 10:38 PM

Code 56: Temp Sensor or EGR Valve stuck?

Hi,

I do not know the details as I decided to wait for the next occurance of code 56 first (this far I was lucky, so I asume it is dependend on outside temperature which I take as a hint for the EGR valve). Anyway, to check the temperature sensore I belive you need to locate it, get it out of the car and test the resistance while heating the sensor (in general I would use a water bath to do so in order to prevent overheating but I doubt that this danger exists with the exhaust sensore).

Good luck!

Marcus

PS: There is a great service manual section posted here.