SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-18-2008, 04:44 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
"Houston, the SVX has two problems!!"

My '92 SVX has developed two problems.
#1) This is the most alarming. When I step on the brake pedal to slow the car down there is a severe pulsing (judder) in the pedal and steering wheel. The severity of the shaking increases the faster I'm going and/or when it is warmer. This just started last week.
#2) The 'check engine' light comes on and stays on when I start the car when the car is warmed up. It does not come on when the car is cold (first thing in morning). This has been happening for about 3 weeks. The is no blinking of the power light. and the engine runs perfectly smooth and quiet. I had the dealer service run The code reader but his code reader did not pick up anything (It wouldn't read - only said 'error').

I run the car only very sparingly. Thank the Lord that we have other cars.
Any suggestions? Thanks.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 04-18-2008, 06:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
Wow why do I keep hearing these dealer stories? Do they not want to work on our cars or are they that dumb? Maybe if he looked at the service manuel and found out how to check the codes instead of just pluging in the select monitor and duhhh it don't work shucks! Here's where you out smart the dealer sir... look up how to pull codes in the how to docs (the link is at the top of the page). Then you just have to post them and we can help you figure out what needs to be fixed from there. Oh and the pusation you feel is your rotors and based on what you said I would say its your front rotors. You can pull them your self and have them turned (assuming they are within spec) or take the car to any brake shop and have them do it all for you.

Good luck!
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 04-18-2008, 09:19 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Thanks for the reply.

First, he knows how to work the codes. Both of us thought hst there was a short in the wires from the reader to the adaptor plug which connects to the plug in the SVX.
Second, I think that the shaking is too violent for it to be just wavy rotors. I think it is a brake pad actuating piston that is sticking and not returning when the brakes are applied.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 04-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Bad control arm bushings can cause a shake like that.

Too bad you won't be at Reading. We'll miss you guys...
Old 04-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Larry,

Couple of ideas:

1. clear the codes using both of the blue leads in the kick panel (following the directions in the "How To" document)

2. leave the battery disconnected overnight

3. check the balance of the front tires/rotate them

4. check the condition of the front rotors

5. check the general condition of the front suspension (is everything tight?)

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 04-18-2008, 12:10 PM

Could be a...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryIII View Post
Thanks for the reply.

First, he knows how to work the codes. Both of us thought hst there was a short in the wires from the reader to the adaptor plug which connects to the plug in the SVX.
Second, I think that the shaking is too violent for it to be just wavy rotors. I think it is a brake pad actuating piston that is sticking and not returning when the brakes are applied.
maybe a bent hub.
that would shake when the brakes are applied.

After market new rotors are only about $60.00.
I have had them on the front and are great.
Made in USA also!!! said so right on the box.
Oh... That was probably referring to the BOX!

Take care,
Keith
Old 04-18-2008, 12:22 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
I actually have the same issue with the pulsating but the severity depends on the type of road Im on. Hopefully this summer ill get around to getting the control arms changed.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 04-18-2008, 02:31 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
check to make sure your lug nuts are tight.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:23 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryIII View Post
My '92 SVX has developed two problems.
#1) This is the most alarming. When I step on the brake pedal to slow the car down there is a severe pulsing (judder) in the pedal and steering wheel. The severity of the shaking increases the faster I'm going and/or when it is warmer. This just started last week.
#2) The 'check engine' light comes on and stays on when I start the car when the car is warmed up. It does not come on when the car is cold (first thing in morning). This has been happening for about 3 weeks. The is no blinking of the power light. and the engine runs perfectly smooth and quiet. I had the dealer service run The code reader but his code reader did not pick up anything (It wouldn't read - only said 'error').

I run the car only very sparingly. Thank the Lord that we have other cars.
Any suggestions? Thanks.
When the feel a reaction via the steering wheel, does the wheel pull in a single direction, i.e. left or right, or do you feel a random reaction? If it is directional you will no which side to suspect.

Can you recall any event prior to the fault developing which could be aligned with the problem? Physical impact, some other work done, whatever. You must heed the check engine light regardless of the dealer at this stage. It is strange that he did not also do a little simple physical checking.

The trouble code will be recorded and displayed by the LED on the the ABS control unit. On my JDM car this is under the right hand front seat and is accessed via a lift up panel in the carpet. Yours could be different. The available codes are quite comprehensive.

In view of the fact that a fault is registered, a component fault other than a grabbing brake can be suspected, particularly as you have drawn special importance to a pulsing pedal; e.g. wheel sensor, ABS unit including the often reported relay, as well as the power braking system.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suby Fan View Post
Wow why do I keep hearing these dealer stories? Do they not want to work on our cars or are they that dumb? Maybe if he looked at the service manuel and found out how to check the codes instead of just pluging in the select monitor and duhhh it don't work shucks! Here's where you out smart the dealer sir... look up how to pull codes in the how to docs (the link is at the top of the page). Then you just have to post them and we can help you figure out what needs to be fixed from there. Oh and the pusation you feel is your rotors and based on what you said I would say its your front rotors. You can pull them your self and have them turned (assuming they are within spec) or take the car to any brake shop and have them do it all for you.

Good luck!
Did he use the SVX adaptor cable? And was he using a Select Monitor 3? The SM3 won't connect with the older cars, SM2 and SM1 will, use the MY97- cartridge

I think the cable depends on the year, we have an adaptor cable, but I didn't have to use it when I connected the SM2 to my 92 SVX.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 04-18-2008, 08:16 PM
i can make it on my oooowwwnn!

as for the brakes, i had the problem tried to bed them in & turn them with no luck.....switched to R1concept F+R & pads, she stops so smooth and quiet even over 110mph, never going back! couldn't be happier from spending under $250.

could be bearings, hub, or axle... but i doubt it, OEM rotors on this car have always been sub-par.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:24 PM
i can make it on my oooowwwnn!

oh, don't forget to inspect the ABS excitor ring. mine was broke supposedly when the rookie at discout tire cross-threaded 3 of the 5 lugs then let me drive away. i still think the guys at the repair shop broke it trying to replace the lugs.