Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-12-2002, 01:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
OT: Coolest toy around...

Browsing the local Japanese import store with my wife on Saturday (in search of Hello Kitty merchandise), I came upon something really friggin' cool. So I returned to the store today with a coworker to get one. And I now have the following announcement to make:

Tomy Bit Char-G cars are the coolest toys ever.

Well, right now they are.

I bought a blue WRX and my friend bought a red Lancer. We made sure to buy cars that ran on different frequencies so we wouldn't encounter any messy interference. We also both purchased upgraded motors (2.2 - the cars come with 1.0 motors) and my friend bought the set of gear ratios that you can swap into the car.

Assembly (motor, tires, gears, body shell) took about 5 minutes. The instructions are entirely in Japanese, but the pictures make enough sense. Charging takes a full 45 seconds, and then you're ready to roll. The box says it'll run for 2 minutes on a charge, but I am running almost five minutes in between docks.

The only batteries needed are two AA-size in the controller, which doubles as the charger. Range is pretty limited at around fifteen feet, but then at 2 inches long they get hard to see by then anyway.

The mods I've found so far (my local store doesn't sell most of them, but they do have a wide selection of cars) include three grades of tires, three grades of front stabilizers (no kidding), motors from 1.0 to 3.0 (that's in ten thousand RPMs - in other words, the 3.0s run at 30,000RPM) and gear ratio sets. I've even found an aftermarket for these - antenna upgrades, ricey mufflers to put on the back, etc. One guy sells 3.8 motors. Kick ass.

We tried the cars out on the conference table during an...uh...extended lunch break. Our conference table was so dirty that the cars are difficult to control at full charge, but a wet paper towel should fix that.

Anyway, so I dig 'em. They get my endorsement.

What it is:
2-inch-long RC car. Basic rocker-switch controls (not proportional). Many, many options.

What it cost:
$40 Blue WRX with 1.0 motor, medium tires
$6 2.2 Motor
$6 Set of 3 gear ratios

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 08-12-2002 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-12-2002, 01:14 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Re: OT: Coolest toy around...

Pockets,

I don't know what the selection of Hello Kitty merchandise is in Michigan, but here in Toronto, with the huge Chinese population, there's a good selection of Hello Kitty stuff here.

There's even a 1000-1500 sq.ft. store that's dedicated to Hello Kitty merchandise.

So now you have an excuse to come up here. I'm always up for a meet, especially if it's local.

VK
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Browsing the local Japanese import store with my wife on Saturday (in search of Hello Kitty merchandise\
Old 08-12-2002, 01:30 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: OT: Coolest toy around...

Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
Pockets,

I don't know what the selection of Hello Kitty merchandise is in Michigan, but here in Toronto, with the huge Chinese population, there's a good selection of Hello Kitty stuff here.

There's even a 1000-1500 sq.ft. store that's dedicated to Hello Kitty merchandise.

So now you have an excuse to come up here. I'm always up for a meet, especially if it's local.

VK
Wizzywig (www.wizzywig.com, go figure) has a pretty good selection, but they were out of the Hello Kitty band-aids that she was looking for.

And, thanks for the invite, but until I have a working transmission in my car, I'm not going to any meets.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 08-13-2002, 01:44 AM

Bit Charg!

I also bought such a car a few months ago.
A blue WRX like you did Mr. Pockets.
I like those cars and it's fun to cruise around with a friend or more.
I paid € 54,50 + shipping € 15.
So yours was cheaper

mfg hrc
Old 08-13-2002, 08:49 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Bit Charg!

Quote:
Originally posted by MartyMcFly
I also bought such a car a few months ago.
A blue WRX like you did Mr. Pockets.
I like those cars and it's fun to cruise around with a friend or more.
I paid € 54,50 + shipping € 15.
So yours was cheaper

mfg hrc
Yeah, mine was a little cheaper - but it doesn't make yours any less worth the price you paid.

I need a digital camera so I can take a picture of this little thing. I have two desks in an L-shape and I cleared one of them off so I could place Nerf darts as pylons to race around.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 08-13-2002, 11:32 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
So are you going to add your new modded WRX to your list of Subarus in your signature?
Old 08-13-2002, 12:26 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
So are you going to add your new modded WRX to your list of Subarus in your signature?
LOL Yeah, maybe I should.

It's spreading here. I went to Wizzywig to get the gear sets and two other guys from work went with me to buy their own cars. The same friend who went with me yesterday even bought a second special edition car for $50 just so he could get the 2.6 motor out of it.

Unfortunately, the gear sets replace the rear axle and wheels, and the wheels that came with my WRX are gold. The replacements are chrome. I guess I'll have to paint 'em.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 08-14-2002, 01:01 PM

Registered SVX
I don't know if anybody is still interested in this thread, but I had to post this one.

Since a bunch of us here at the office now have Bit Char-G cars, we've been looking at ways to trcik 'em out. Right now, we're dreaming up ridiculous ideas - including AWD, which I think could be done. We'll see if I actually maintain the ambition for that - don't hold your breath.

The simplest ideas, of course, involve lights. This guy in the UK has packaged solutions of varing complexity. You have to watch this little video to understand just how complex - this is just un-friggin-believable.

http://www.cflowers.freeserve.co.uk/..._Light_Mod.WMV

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 08-19-2002, 08:34 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Bandaid Solution

Monsieur Pockets:

I've got the bandaid solution for you. No, not for the tranny unfortunately.

PM me your address. I had mentioned the Hello Kitty band-aids to my GF, and she picked up a pack today, ready to be mailed.

VK

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Wizzywig (www.wizzywig.com, go figure) has a pretty good selection, but they were out of the Hello Kitty band-aids that she was looking for.

And, thanks for the invite, but until I have a working transmission in my car, I'm not going to any meets.
Old 08-19-2002, 09:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to AnthraXFan Send a message via Yahoo to AnthraXFan
microsizers

there's also this competitor that is also coming out very soon, based in the US. www.microsizers.com it's owned by the nations largest hobby distributor, hobbico(great planes/tower hobbies) i've worked at a hobby store until just recently, but i'm getting mine there cuz i still get it at cost ($20)

Go to my Site!

http://www.railroadfan.com
Old 08-19-2002, 09:14 PM

Yes! Bit Char-G's are the coolest! I could've gotten one at a nearby Anime convention a couple months back (for a discount, too), but alas, went for plushies and misc. anime goodies instead (from surprise surprise, wizzywig ;p)..
Old 08-19-2002, 09:23 PM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
I just bought a white WRX, a 3.8 motor, gear set, and tire set off ebay. Hopefully I can control the 3.8 .

I'll post pics when i get all the merchandise.
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 08-19-2002, 10:21 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Bwana
I just bought a white WRX, a 3.8 motor, gear set, and tire set off ebay. Hopefully I can control the 3.8 .

I'll post pics when i get all the merchandise.
Just like you, Scott...

Gotta be like everyone else

-mike