How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-04-2002, 11:42 AM
double0bondo

5spd now a go!!!

i am activly pursuing a 5 spd to replace my very lazy auto, can someone tell me which donor car to look for, like year and model, which is the cheapest way out and if the donor car will have nearly everything i will need to do it, except for the act clutch of course is it an awd legacy wagon, like 92 or 93???
Old 06-04-2002, 02:16 PM
PDhamSVXer

Go check out "how to" in personal lockers then go to the link "Huck's under $1000 5sp conversion". It will pretty much talk about all that stuff. The legacy does seem to be the best. I believe Huck used one from the XT, but you can read about it at his site.

Good luck

Paul
Old 06-05-2002, 05:45 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I used the pedals from an XT-6(because I had them laying around), but the XT-6 tranny won't work on the 3.3, it has the old style bellhousing(ER2.7, EA1.8)
But I believe the pedal assembly from the early Legacy's will be the closest to a direct bolt in swap.
So if you can find an early Legacy for a donor, all the componets you need should be there.

Although I think the Impreza shifter boot works better with the SVX console.

Hope you find this helpful
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 06-05-2002, 10:34 AM
double0bondo

huck??

another question, you guys are saying "early" legacy, which years are they, and are they wagons, and are they turbo or non turbo to look for??
Old 06-05-2002, 11:04 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
THere is a XT in the junkyard in Chicago.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 06-05-2002, 11:12 AM
EverclearAtMSU

i've been thinking about doing this durring the summer, as we have lots of subbies in our junkyards. My only this is it seams to me that the older legacy trannys wont be able to hold the power of the H-6. Like it'll slip a lot durring hard accelerations, and jumping off the line. What have you guys noticed that have done this? I hear good things about driving it, but not about starts.
Old 06-05-2002, 03:19 PM

Re: huck??

Quote:
Originally posted by double0bondo
another question, you guys are saying "early" legacy, which years are they, and are they wagons, and are they turbo or non turbo to look for??
Any Legacy 90- up should work, the Turbos and later models have a hydraulic activated clutch, where the earlier Legacy's have a cable activated clutch, so if you don't have a preference on which style clutch activation, either will do.
All years Manual tranny is basically the same, though the Turbo’s tranny is most likely to have been abused.
The Turbo Legacy’s also have a slightly higher gear ratio 3:90’s opposed to the standard Legacy’s 4:11 or on rare occasion 4:44’s. the bigger the number, the better the take offs, but the lower the top end.
The SVX has a very high 3:54 gear ratio, so any of the above will net you lower gears.

As for how do they take off with a five speed…. I’m still running the cheap clutch, but believe it will still take off faster than it did with the auto and the higher gears, but it will smoke the cheap clutch under a hard launch.
But the cheap clutch works fine under normal driving conditions.

I think everyone else learned from my mistake, to put a good quality clutch and pressure plate in their conversion that will take the torque of the 3.3.
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 06-05-2002, 10:23 PM
double0bondo

sorry for all the ???'s but

huck, does it matter if it is a wagon or not?? is the difference in drive shaft lenght?? will i need a different driveshaft either way...also, i wonder if the turbo tranny might be better, becuase of the higher gearing, i bet the mpg would be better, i have seen someone complained about the excessive r's with the lower gear, well, anyway, its a trade either way, do i want acc., or do i want mpg...my first thing i guess is acc but maybe the mpg would be better suited, i guess i have some decisions to make... but if you have an answer on the wagon ?, that would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-06-2002, 05:30 AM

Re: sorry for all the ???'s but

Quote:
Originally posted by double0bondo
huck, does it matter if it is a wagon or not?? is the difference in drive shaft lenght?? will i need a different driveshaft either way...also, i wonder if the turbo tranny might be better, becuase of the higher gearing, i bet the mpg would be better, i have seen someone complained about the excessive r's with the lower gear, well, anyway, its a trade either way, do i want acc., or do i want mpg...my first thing i guess is acc but maybe the mpg would be better suited, i guess i have some decisions to make... but if you have an answer on the wagon ?, that would be greatly appreciated
The wagons driveshaft is the same as the sedans, neither of witch will be the right length for the swap, but you can use the rear sectionfrom the Legacy to have the front section of your SVX driveshaft lenghtened (if you're lucky enough to have the 2 piece drivshaft)

A wagon is probably a good choice as most people don't flog a wagon, but I'd try to avoid one that has a hitch on it, as towing something might have put undue stress on the tranny internals.

As for the mileage issue, I do believe my highway mileage has dropped a couple MPG, but think my city MPG has improved, probably from less HP required to get it going from a stop with the lower gears.

Just a few of my thoughts.
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 06-06-2002, 06:51 AM
Porter

The BEST 5 speed transmissions to use are ones out of JDM Impreza STis. Look for a used STi Version 3 or Version 4 tranny... some of them had the same final drive ratio as the SVX, you'll have to do some research on it. If you get a manual tranny with a different final drive ratio, you will need to replace your rear diff with one that matches the tranny. Front wheels and back wheels at different speeds = very bad for the center diff.

The STi trannies are driven with up to 276hp and 280lb/ft of torque STOCK.. that's why they are so much more appropriate for an SVX application. They bolt up the same, and you can give them a lot more abuse than a US market unit without worrying about it.

This solution certainly won't be under $1k, but it won't be incredibly exorbitant either. I would reccommend getting a driveshaft fabricated, there are several shops that can make one for you for a few hundred $ if you give them the dimensions.

Last edited by Porter; 06-06-2002 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-06-2002, 06:54 AM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:
Originally posted by Porter

The STi trannies are driven with up to 276hp and 280lb/ft of torque STOCK.. that's why they are so much more appropriate for an SVX application. They bolt up the same, and you can give them a lot more abuse than a US market unit without worrying about it.
sure, but what does one of these cost?
Old 06-06-2002, 06:55 AM
Porter

I've seen them used for around $1k. You can probably find them for less than that if they have more than 50k miles.

You can actually get an entire STi front clip... engine, tranny, electronics, hardware, suspension, wheel hubs... everything - for around $3500-$4000.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:00 AM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:
Originally posted by Porter
You can actually get an entire STi front clip... engine, tranny, electronics, hardware, suspension, wheel hubs... everything - for around $3500-$4000.
isn't that around what I paid for my SVX

what about a regular Impreza tranny though? Those are a lot easier to get ones hands on, will they bolt right up? And with all the aftermarket stuff out there for them, you could easily beef it up to what the STI is. and possibly for less $
Old 06-06-2002, 09:03 AM

The Impreza and the Legacy use the same tranny, I used an Impreza tranny in my swap.
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed