How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 11:23 AM

why do these locks freeze so easily?!

okay, so twice now, i have not been able to go anywhere because my locks are frozen... its not even that i cant get my key in, it just wont turn once i do get it in... my last 2 cars had heated locks, and my first car NEVER froze... why has this happened twice.... ohh, by the way, 10-15 degrees, so below freezing but not insanely cold by any means.... i've resorted to taking expensives out of my car and leaving it unlocked
'88 Acura Legend (wheel fell off)
'90 Audi 80 quattro (50mph into side of truck)
'95 Saab 9000cse turbo (sold)
Old 12-02-2005, 11:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
It has been reported that more often than not, it is the power lock solenoid which has been water damaged and rusted or frozen in place, preventing you from turning the lock. The lock cylinder is usually fine, unless your key has worn so much that it no longer mates well with the tumblers.

KuoH
Old 12-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
How often do you wash your car?
Old 12-02-2005, 03:01 PM

i try to keep it clean, but havent washed it lately in fear of it freezing worse... i actually have the power lock solenoid sitting in my garage so i wouldnt be able to say thats the culprit....(previous owner mistakingly took it out thinking it was bad... i concluded that he thought the P/W lock button was a door lock button and was malfunctioning....(actually his wifes car so i'll give him a little break))
Old 12-02-2005, 03:12 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I knew it wasn't the power lock as mine will freeze if I go wash my car and leave it "dry" outside overnight. I don't have power locks (Canadian model).
Old 12-02-2005, 03:20 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
I knew it wasn't the power lock as mine will freeze if I go wash my car and leave it "dry" outside overnight. I don't have power locks (Canadian model).
If i get a car wash and let it "dry" outside overnight in cold weather my locks freeze too. You should spray a whole little can of de-ice for locks in there and it should be as good as new. That goes for anyone with frozen locks.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 12-02-2005, 07:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
That's to be expected, as high pressure water will find its way into the smallest of cracks. If your lock is freezing internally without the aid of high pressure water, then there may be a moisture penetration problem that needs to be dealt with.

One thing I should mention is that when it's really cold, my locks will not turn either, but not due to freezing. I almost always use the remote to unlock the car since new back in 93, so the keys are worn enough from being in the ignition that they don't always turn the door and trunk locks when it's really really cold. It feels like a frozen lock, but if I stand there like a dummy and jiggle the keys long enough, it eventually turns. If you have a key that is less worn than the others, you might want to try it.

KuoH
Old 12-03-2005, 12:33 AM

i wish i had a remote, i'm working on that one.. and yea, it is frozen internally, i dont think its a bad key, mostly cause i threw windshield wiper fluid on the lock with my key kinda opening it and it thankfully unfroze it once.... i'll just buy an aftermarket remote start/ alarm
Old 12-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
It sounds like your locks need to be cleaned internally. When we have chilly weather like this any type of old grease, dirt, and water mixture turns to, well concrete. If you remove the lock mechanism from the door and clean and regrease you should have no problems. My locks have never frozen when I had her outside in zero weather.

Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 12-07-2005, 12:37 AM
<<<Alcyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92SVXLS-LDC
i wish i had a remote, i'm working on that one..
www.KeylessRide.com makes a small one button remote that works very well with our alarm system. Programs just like the stock one.

Pentiums - Melt in your PC, not in your hand!

Project - '92 Claret - Purchased May '06, 99,XXX Miles. Includes two bad engines and one bad tranny, cracked windshield, otherwise mostly complete.

His - '92 Ebony Pearl - Purchased Dec '05, 134,687 Miles. Parked, TC Seal(?) is leaking.Daily driver - 140,500 and climbing.
Hers - '92 Teal - Purchased Aug '05, 129,050 Miles. Daily driver - 160,000 and climbing.
Mods:
PWR Radiator!
Problems:
Antenna doesn't work - Bought a 'new' one - Too cold to install . . . OK, it's warmer but I have other projects too!
Ticking from front of engine, passenger side - Stuck lifter?