How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-24-2005, 08:28 AM
clarkerussell

Dealer parts vs. subaruparts.com

I need new front shocks... Subaru parts wants $99 each for them... My local subaru dealer wants $169.95... Crazy... I really want to buy locally, but the pricing is just too far out of line, even with subaruparts.com's insane shipping charges. Has anyone ever tried to haggle with the parts counter manager for better parts pricing?
Old 10-24-2005, 08:40 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkerussell
I need new front shocks... Subaru parts wants $99 each for them... My local subaru dealer wants $169.95... Crazy... I really want to buy locally, but the pricing is just too far out of line, even with subaruparts.com's insane shipping charges. Has anyone ever tried to haggle with the parts counter manager for better parts pricing?
I won't price haggle...but it can't hurt to ask them if they'll match another dealer's price on an item.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 10-24-2005, 08:55 AM
Jayahalasi

im almost positive they won't price match they'll just tell you to order from subaru parts.

they make there money on "labor" not on parts.

but hey you can always ask
Old 10-24-2005, 09:29 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Try Liberty Subaru in NJ, 888-782-9493.

They should match or beat SP's pricing, and they charge actual shipping costs. Tell them that Ben Roth referred you...
Old 10-24-2005, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayahalasi
im almost positive they won't price match they'll just tell you to order from subaru parts.

If they charge $170 for an item another retailer can sell at a profit for $100, I'll guarantee you they aren't making money on labor alone.

dcb
Old 10-24-2005, 09:53 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayahalasi

I can honestly disagree.....Each service I've had done on my car, the parts prices were outrageous and more money than any of the labor. Yes, labor rates vary, but when's the last time a dealer would work on a vehicle after you gave them parts that you ordered? That's just my experience.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to Roo Send a message via Yahoo to Roo
Parts Pricing...

To tell you the truth, there are only two ways to make money in this business.

Either sell the part at cost + xx% (usually 15-25) and charge OUTRAGEOUS shipping charges (usually marked up 200% or more), or they charge a price which reflects the cost of doing business.

We (at Marin Subaru) charge 10% off retail, and ONLY add in ACTUAL shipping charges. This covers our costs including having the parts shipped to us...

The part numbers (depending on year) should be:

20311PA001
20311PA011

They retail for 160.45, and we sell them for 144.40.

Different geographical locations have different costs of doing business as well. If I were to start an online parts place, I'd simply have a warehouse somewhere in a low rent location, and that would keep overhead low, where I could sell the parts cheaper than a prime location (high rent district).
Old 10-24-2005, 11:36 AM
clarkerussell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest

They should match or beat SP's pricing, and they charge actual shipping costs. Tell them that Ben Roth referred you...
$112.46 each + about $15 shipping. That's only about $10 more than Subaru Parts.. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:13 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Wholesale

Actually with my fleet I bill myself as LHopp Foreign Auto Repair and the dealer in Albuquerque sells the parts to me at wholesale prices and they still make some money on the parts. Don't kid yourself--the dealers make big bucks on parts.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 10-24-2005, 01:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Which is why I just shop at subaruparts.com. Their pricing is much more reasonable than local dealers and they're the only place that provides online parts lookup with diagrams. Many of us here would still be at a dealer's mercy or wasting a lot of time talking to parts counter reps if it weren't for those diagrams. As for the shipping, they charge a flat 13% of the order, which I suppose could be good or bad depending on what you're ordering.

Personally, I've spend about $1.5k in suspension and miscellaneous parts with them in the past couple of months and have no complaints about their service and I definitely liked the fact that there were no hassles with playing phone tag to find the right parts.

KuoH

Quote:
$112.46 each + about $15 shipping. That's only about $10 more than Subaru Parts.. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:29 PM
clarkerussell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuoh
Which is why I just shop at subaruparts.com. Their pricing is much more reasonable than local dealers and they're the only place that provides online parts lookup with diagrams. Many of us here would still be at a dealer's mercy or wasting a lot of time talking to parts counter reps if it weren't for those diagrams. As for the shipping, they charge a flat 13% of the order, which I suppose could be good or bad depending on what you're ordering.

Personally, I've spend about $1.5k in suspension and miscellaneous parts with them in the past couple of months and have no complaints about their service and I definitely liked the fact that there were no hassles with playing phone tag to find the right parts.

KuoH
Yea, I just ordered the two front struts a few minutes ago.. Since it's coming from across the county I chose 2 day so I could get them in this weekend. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:41 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
I now deal with jason from 1stsubaruparts. He ended up being cheaper than liberty subaru for everything and charged me realistic shipping
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 10-24-2005, 05:24 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest

they also got the car and driver discount that knocks off 20-25%. i buy all my stuff through Russ at teh parts dept.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:06 PM
clarkerussell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir
they also got the car and driver discount that knocks off 20-25%. i buy all my stuff through Russ at teh parts dept.
They were still $112.56 each plus $15 shipping... Couldn't touch SubaruParts.com... Oh well.