Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-30-2005, 04:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan
slow to reverse for the last 2 years...brake band?

My car has been slow to get into reverse for the last two years (Subafreak will attest to that, lol). And I have not had any other problems with it. Could I fix this with a brake band adjustment? and if so, am I currently to tight, or to loose?

James

BTW, sorry that I've turned into a lurker. life has been forcing me further and further away from computer time. Nice to post again though.
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 08-30-2005, 06:31 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by zavikan
My car has been slow to get into reverse for the last two years (Subafreak will attest to that, lol). And I have not had any other problems with it. Could I fix this with a brake band adjustment? and if so, am I currently to tight, or to loose?

James

BTW, sorry that I've turned into a lurker. life has been forcing me further and further away from computer time. Nice to post again though.
No James this isn't the brake band. This is usually caused by a faulty gasket at the pump. There were two changes to the pump to cure the problem.

From the DRW transmission report;

"The transmission oil pump gasket was changed to a beaded metal design because of deterioration problem with the previous design. All SVXs with a manufacture date of 11/92 or a transmission I.D.#513102 and after should come with this redesigned gasket. It should also be mentioned that all transmissions with I.D.# 426208 and after came with a modified case, which was the initial attempt to correct the pump gasket problem. Syptoms associated with a deteriorated gasket are approximately 1/2 main line pressure at idle, but full line pressure at stall speed. A delay going into reverse may also be experenced on SVX and Turbo vehicles"

The box has to come out to fix it, but it may keep going for ever. Just wait till it engauges reverse before you hit the throttle, so that the reverse clutch won't get damaged. If it is getting worse, you will notice the same happening when you go to take off in D. That is the time to do something about it, before the clutches get damaged.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.