IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 05:28 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
SVX spring compressor?

I had a good score today, 2 mint condition strut top mounts. They were very easy to get out, but what about back in? Question 1. Can I use the weight of the svx to compress the spring once the old ones are out? Question 2. If I don't loosen the lower bolts for the strut, will I need an alignment? #3. How the heck do I tighten the strut bolt with no access to the hex bolt? Benebob said you can use a vise grip on the strut tube but I don't think I can access the part of that part of the tube (that which does not pass the seals) while the strut is attached to the spindle. BTW that method worked great for getting them out. As always, thanks for any help
-Mike

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 08-28-2005, 12:50 AM
Giong back to the beaters...

PM tappermanor for the 500 dollar beater projects.
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 08-28-2005, 09:32 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Go to an auto parts store and buy aspring compressor. They usually don't cost over $30. Use that to compress the springs. To tighten the top bolt, use a socket with flat sides to put a wrench on or use a normal socket and get a pipe wrench or vise grips to turn the socket while using and allen wrench to hold the strut tube in place... Hope this helps

Tom
Old 08-29-2005, 11:16 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael
#3. How the heck do I tighten the strut bolt with no access to the hex bolt? Benebob said you can use a vise grip on the strut tube ...
That's the way we did a bunch, but we have come to realize that that isn't the best way, it can leave gouges that may have caused some of our strut problems.
Ben has a set of those "Gear wrenches" they are like a socket set, but they are hollow. That makes it possible to stick an allen down the center to hold the strut rod. I'm trying to think now... is that nut a 17mm??? is that the same size as any spark plug sockets (they have wrench flats on them to use without a rachet)

The spring compressors can be "borrowed" from AZ or Advance if you don't want to purchase a set.

Let me know if you need a hand one of these evenings/weekends. I seem to be in your area more than I am in my area, so I'd gladly stop by to lend a hand.

I'm guessing that if you leave the strut fastened to the knuckle that you may not need an alignment??? Are you replacing stock parts with stock parts?
Old 08-30-2005, 06:18 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Hey Dave, that would be great. I hear it's a pain to get them back in place by yourself. All I'm doing is swapping strut mounts, they are terribly rotted. I was hoping to not have to use a spring compressor because it looks like you would have to take the strut off the knuckle to get enough access to the spring for a compressor. I think if you jack the car up, take the wheel off then jack the hub up you can lower the jack (under the hub) to decompress the spring. It worked for getting the other ones out. I'll give you a ring when I'm ready, currently I'm looking for another beater because the trans on my rabbit locked up on the highway. It left about 20 feet of rubber on the road!

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel