Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Engine Management

Old 02-03-2005, 08:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
The RPM input to the TCU is fed from the ECU. At the TCU the tach signal is:

......Yellow wire, pin 5, in a 12-pin black connector.

Come on, just go buy some resistors and try it ......worse that happens is it doesn't shift ..........just unplug the resistors and go back to stock.

What I'd recommend doing is getting a potentiometer as R2 and a highly precise R1 (10K) resistor. This way you can modify the input AC voltage to the TCU (given by r2). Just make sure you reading what the potentiometer is outputting.

Keep in mind another thing - voltage dividers are dependent on the input resistance of the system. Generally I'm assuming it's high, which it should be. But it might not. If it's close to the value of R2, or lower, this will have a bad effect and won't yield the desired output. Cut the yellow wire into the TCU and measure the resistance from yellow input to TCU to ground.

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 02-03-2005, 04:03 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
The problem is, we don't know for sure, what form the signal is.

The signal that the ECU receives from the crank sensor is pulsed. I would think it is still a pulsed signal that the TCU receives.

To change it to a varing voltage, they would need a 'digtal to analog' converter in the ECU, and a 'A to D ' converter in the TCU, to turn it back to digtal, to be processed. This is unlikely due to the extra circuitry needed, and the interferance that a varing voltage would be subjected to.

Never the less, the pulsed signal can be divided down by a Cemos flip flop, or a divide by two counter. This will change the count to half the value, so that the TCU never sees the engine rpm change point, and it will run up to the engine rev limiter.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.