How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-16-2004, 05:59 AM
joe2rule

cabin noise

I just got my transmission rebuilt from (AAMCO) and found that the noise within the car with the windows closed has become a problem. It appears to be coming from the back but not technical so I don't know how to isolate where. As I go faster, the volume of grows.

Basically it sounds like something is not sealed and engine noise is exposed.... Does that make sense?

Any help is appreciated before I lose my mind....
Old 11-16-2004, 07:54 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Probably exhaust donut gaskets if it sounds like engine noise. There is a gasket btw the muffler and center section that is right near the rear diff. Could be the problem.

If it doesn't sound like engine noise and sounds more like a groaning, it is more than likely wheel bearing(s).

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 11-16-2004, 08:04 AM
joe2rule

Thank you, I will get both checked out!

Joe
Old 11-16-2004, 08:34 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

I had the same problem and it was coming from underneath the car. Turned out to be the exhaust gaskets too. But my noise seems to be coming back...could the gaskets be going bad again?

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 11-16-2004, 03:42 PM

hey you never know it could be the bearings
Old 11-16-2004, 04:07 PM
joe2rule

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXer95
Probably exhaust donut gaskets if it sounds like engine noise. There is a gasket btw the muffler and center section that is right near the rear diff. Could be the problem.

If it doesn't sound like engine noise and sounds more like a groaning, it is more than likely wheel bearing(s).
Questions:

1) if it is the donut gaskets- how would I know? Do they need to be replaced? If so, how much?

2) if it is the wheel bearings- how would I know? Do they need to be replaced? If so, how much?

I don't have a mechanic, so I am at their mercy unless I come prepared.

thanks again!

Joe
Old 11-16-2004, 04:16 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
1) if it is the donut gaskets- how would I know? Do they need to be replaced? If so, how much?

Plug your exhaust with a pair of old socks or whatever. If there's a leak you'll hear it if you stick your head under the car.

2) if it is the wheel bearings- how would I know? Do they need to be replaced? If so, how much?

Have someone stick their head into the trunk area while you're driving. If it's a bearing the sound will be coming from one side of the car.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:20 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
There are several ways that you can tell if the exhaust gaskets are bad. First, put the car in the air and start it. Then get under there and try to listen for a leak. If you still cannot tell, you can put your hand around the joints in the exhaust and feel for a leak. Do not touch the exhaust as it will be hot. You can also use a stethoscope to listen for the sound.

The bearings will sound like a roaring or groaning sound from the rear of the car in the wheel area. Put the rear seat down and have someone sit back there and listen while you are driving. This works well because there is no sound deadening in the trunk. If you hear the noise coming from the rear wheels, it is the bearing(s). Also, you can put the rear of the car in the air and check for excessive axial (in and out) play in the rear wheels. This is a tell-tale sign of bearing failure.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 11-16-2004, 04:53 PM
joe2rule

Thanks guys! All the info really helps me understand what to look for. If the problem is gaskets, what should I expect to spend to replace? Ideas for replacement?

Same questions with the bearings?

I don't (hope) it's not the wheel bearings. It seems that the sound is more engine than wheels.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:55 PM
joe2rule

Do you guys know where I can see pics of the gaskets or wheel bearings so I know what they look like?
Old 11-16-2004, 06:47 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Which is it?

If it is the exhaust, it will increase in volume as you accelerate hard, and decrease, when you lift your foot.

If it is the rear bearings, it will get louder the faster you go. The accelerator won't make any difference.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.