Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-15-2004, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know if its possible or difficult to convert from the rpm-sensitive power steering system to the speed-sensitive power steering system?
Oh, I did not read the initial question right. You would have to install a speed-sensitive steering rack&pinion unit, install steering rack control unit (it is a separate controller box) - not sure how much wiring is involved and install a speed-sensitive pump.

If you leave your engine rpm sensitive pump, you will get less assist than intended - quite a heavy feel on the steering wheel.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:35 AM
Jedi Member

Okay, well here's what happened. I ordered the PS pump and when I went to install it, I realized that the PS pump on my car had something extra coming out of it than the new part. By something, I mean two wires which I'm guessing is the solenoid for the electronic assist. Since my new pump didn't have this, I figured that I got the wrong one.

Ironically, Checker was selling 2 pumps. The cheap(er) one was the one I got and the more expensive one read "excluding LSi" which is funny because 92's aren't LSi's and I'm guessing that since it's more expensive, it's the one I need.

Bah, I'll just order it today and eat the cash since my primary SVX's radiator finally blew up.
'01 Legacy Outback, White,