How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-04-2001, 08:14 AM
deligeds

Question Slowly failing alternator?

I think my alternator is starting to go bad, but I wanted to get some confirmation. Here's the deal:

The engine was frequently slow to crank when starting, especially after lenghty drives. The weird thing was that it wasn't "slowly cranking", it was either not turning over or cranking at what seemed like full speed. I could turn the key and . . . nothing. Try again . . . nothing. But if I held it at start for a few seconds, it would finally turn over and start right up. I thought maybe it was a wiring thing, except for the eventual cranking when held at start. Anyway, it eventually wouldn't turn over at all. Suspecting my old battery, I got a jump (started right up), promptly went to the auto parts store, and replaced it. A few days later, I again noticed that it was slow to turn over after long drives. Sounds like alternator, right?
Old 12-04-2001, 10:28 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Uhhh...

...there's nothing like paying someone $15 to check out your starting & charging system. It could have already saved you the price of a battery. It may also save you the price of an alternator...

Beav
Old 12-04-2001, 10:50 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Uhhh...

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
...there's nothing like paying someone $15 to check out your starting & charging system. It could have already saved you the price of a battery. It may also save you the price of an alternator...

Beav
Not to mention MOST chain autoparts stores (Autozone, Advance Auto, etc) will check your charging system for FREE.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-11-2001, 11:49 AM
Lowered SVX

go to the dealer......

have the check and see how many amps the alternator is putting out. i think it is supposed to put out 13.5 or .7, cant remember. usually when mine is about to go bad it is putting out under 13 amps.

anyway they can check and it is real simple to know if it is or isnt putting out enough power. it should only take like a minute for them to check for you.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 12-11-2001, 02:33 PM
craigk

pulley

Just a note: I thought I had a bad alternator, even replaced it. Found that the crankshaft damper pulley was slipping. It looked normal, but with the belt off, I could spin the pulley on the rubber.
Old 12-11-2001, 08:41 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Crank Pulley

That is now the 6th time here I have heard of a crank pulley disintegrating. 5 are from '92s and one '94. Chris, Sk8ing19, blonde-man,Nvrmore, listed, and now craigk have all had them come apart.
I think I'll get an aluminum underdrive set and put it on the shelf the next time they go on sale.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 12-18-2001, 02:47 PM
Lowered SVX

i will have to check that out next time...

before i run out and replace my alternator. thanks for the info. guys.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 12-26-2001, 07:57 AM

You can add another to your list of pulleys coming apart. Although I no longer have my SVX I had the same problem about 2 yrs ago.
Old 12-26-2001, 06:48 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
1984SubaruSVX - Don't you mean "volts" and not "amps?" I sure hope your alternator is putting out way more than 13.7 amps!!!