Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-20-2004, 10:52 AM

How do I clean suede?

I was in the middle of a nice long drive back from Columbus over Easter, when my girlfriend looks at me and says "I'm sorry". At first I was confused, then I saw the 2 inch long blue pen mark going down the passanger side door handle, the suede part.
I managed to stay some what calm, and said "you should be". Anyway, does anyone know how to clean ink out of suede or do you know anyone with part of a door panel for sale?
Old 04-20-2004, 11:01 AM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
I have a passenger side door panel in great condition for sale. PM me if you're interested.

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 04-21-2004, 09:36 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
Use woolite and some warm water. Its what i use to clean mine and I think the subaru manual recommends a mild soap and water. Hope this helps

~Ray
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:32 AM

Registered SVX
Ask your Dry Cleaner for advice.

Buy your girlfriend a pencil.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:20 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
I used upholstery cleaner from the auto parts store blue coral I think, spray it on let it soak for 15 min. then blot it with a clean dry towel. What ever you do do not scrub it or it will ball up, if you must scrub it and it does ball up a little, use a shaving razor to remove the excess material.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 04-21-2004, 12:47 PM
mark10t

I've used carbochlor (trichloroethane, carbosolv?) solvent (it's basically the 'politically correct' version of the old carbon tetrochloride- dry cleaning fluid) on my door panels when they get a little dirty from repeated contact with slightly dirty or greasy hands. It's worked well for me by rubbing out with a clean cloth and haven't noticed any ill effects.

-Mark
Old 04-21-2004, 07:37 PM
JLittell

Thumbs up

Solvents, chemicals, or any liquid base requires a lot time. Use a wire brush and lightly brush the escaine. Some will beg to differ but this is a great way to keep it looking new. Try it!

Last edited by JLittell; 04-21-2004 at 07:40 PM.