How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-11-2004, 01:00 PM
tancred

Test And Tune yesterday afternoon.

I let my friend take my SVX out yesterday to the local track RMR, while i stayed home and worked on some rotary power......and they were doing test and tune, unfortunately they werent handing out time slips since it was just to screw around, but he says the teal cow went 15.8 with 2 passengers. Smallcar.com shift kit, and a cold air intake. And huge exhaust leak.....

last night i went out and met up with a kid who ran my svx at the track in his cavalier, who went 15.9 who confirmed my fears, IM SLOW.

Dustin
Old 04-11-2004, 02:23 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Thumbs up

15.8 w/ two passengers in the car isn't bad at all for your mods! It sucks that they weren't handing out time slips - it would have been interesting to see what your 60' time was.

Question: Did your friend say what the trap speed was?

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-11-2004, 03:29 PM
tancred

No, but I will ask him.

I am hoping to see that car with a 15.5 with exhaust, intake, and shift kit with some toying with its a/f mixture....we'll see how that goes....

and 1 person in it, instead of 3
Old 04-11-2004, 04:21 PM

Tancred, even w/o fixing the exhaust leak, you have a 15.5 sec car if your friend just took the 2 passengers out. If you fix the exhaust or upgrade to a Magnaflow or Stebro, 15 flat wouldn't be out of the question!

These cars are heavy, but they aren't slow.

Old 04-11-2004, 06:06 PM
tancred

trap speed was 89mph, i have motorsportswarehouse exhaust sitting in my room. I am waiting on my new tips then we will weld em up.....

I dont forsee a 15 flat without nos or forced induction....I really dont, it is heavy and slow. With a 5 spd, i might make 15 flat.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:46 PM

tancred

89 mph is a good trap speed at the end of the 1/4 for an almost stock SVX. A drag racer's rule-of-thumb, is that for every 100 pounds removed, you drop 0.1 in your 1/4 mile ET. If the two passengers weighed 300lbs combined, then your friend could have run a 15.5 1/4 yesterday.

Now the Motorsports exhaust is more free flowing, and if the hp gains are similar to the Stebro, you should add about 15hp from that mod alone.

15 extra hp on a 3600lb car, doesn't make a world of a difference, but it should drop your ET by another 0.2 secs. Maybe 15 flat might be a bit of a stretch, but a low 15 sec run wouldn't.

And these cars are by no means slow... I have owned and raced a 1990 300ZXTT, 1995 Camaro and currently have a 2000 SVT Lightning. While all three would beat an SVX in the 1/4 by over a second, the SVX's engine has amazing pulling power and a finesse/ smoothness in its power delivery that no forced induction/turbo/pushrod V8 could ever match.

-Chike

Quote:
Originally posted by tancred
trap speed was 89mph, i have motorsportswarehouse exhaust sitting in my room. I am waiting on my new tips then we will weld em up.....

I dont forsee a 15 flat without nos or forced induction....I really dont, it is heavy and slow. With a 5 spd, i might make 15 flat.

Last edited by Chiketkd; 04-11-2004 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:02 PM
tancred

I race rx-7s religiously, Im pretty familiar with speed, but not with the capabilities of a piston based motor. I still see the svx as more of a grocery getter, but im trying to figure out what i can do short of forced induction to get it to be a fast grocery getter.....

hence...the teal cow...lol
Old 04-11-2004, 08:31 PM

Quote:
but im trying to figure out what i can do short of forced induction to get it to be a fast grocery getter.....
hence...the teal cow...lol
That's funny!

BTW, those rotary cars are sweet. I've seen several run in the 12's and 11's at the track, and even though their engines make an ear bleeding sound in the higher rpm's, there's such a smoothness to the way they rev...

Question: Why do you have a friend race your car? Is he the better drag racer, or do you not care to wait an hour at a time for a measely 15 sec run???

Your 'teal cow' is sweet, and with minimal mods could be made to go faster!

-Chike

Last edited by Chiketkd; 04-11-2004 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:17 PM
tancred

As my friends put it "SVX is a pimpin car" its not for racing, LOL, so i dont care to go put down a 15 second run, maybe when she digs her hoofs in and gets her ass a 13-14 then i might raise an eyebrow...

I like the rotaries because when you blow one up, you change the core, not the whole thing, the surroundings stay, but a 180lb piece you can change out in a day, its the best **** ever.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:57 PM

That's rotary power! Those engines burn oil like crazy though...

I'm sure if you keep modding your 'teal cow' steadily, she'll surprise you one day with a 14 sec blast.

-Chike

Quote:
I like the rotaries because when you blow one up, you change the core, not the whole thing, the surroundings stay, but a 180lb piece you can change out in a day, its the best **** ever.

Old 04-12-2004, 08:47 PM
tancred

THey do burn oil, by design....which is always fun, put in 6-8 more quarts then you need, (cant do that on a piston motor) and then run the piss outta the car....=)
Old 04-12-2004, 08:58 PM

Quote:
THey do burn oil, by design....which is always fun, put in 6-8 more quarts then you need, (cant do that on a piston motor) and then run the piss outta the car....=)

Old 04-12-2004, 09:09 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
tancred, what do you think about a twin turbo three rotor rear drive svx? ZOOM, ZOOM!

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel