How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-03-2001, 11:37 AM
svxalltime!

exhaust....

I asked the stebro man in holland about the possibility to remove those catalysators on our car. What he told me is this:

Yes we have a solution to remove the catalysators.
We make resonators to remplace this cat.
Original you have two briecat and one longcat.
Our remplace remplace System wil gif Your car mor power,
and will fit with our Exhaust-System.
It is verry complicat and cost 650.- US$.
Allright it is a bit Expensiv but You will have the best System You can buy. You have Lifetimes Warranty for the hole System.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As all know catalysators drain power from a engine, and the svx has two of them. That mean a place beetwen 20-30 hp are gained if the catalysators are removed. Then, if you add a stebro exhaust system a another 10-15 hk are gained.

These numbers are my thaugt based on other cars catalysators.

I just wonder if any of you have any experience with this??

Kristian
Old 11-05-2001, 04:40 PM
Lowered SVX

we can not remove our cats.

i guess we have tougher emissions laws. the svx actually has three cats. unless someone in the states did it themselves i doubt anyone has removed all of their cats. we have to take our cars through an inspection to renew our license plates. if it fails inspection no license plate. that means you are not legally allowed to drive the car. but still removing the cats and replacing them with pipe should not cost $650?? good luck.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-05-2001, 07:53 PM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
My cat

I wont say that I removed my third "Y" pipe cat.... Lets just say its there and has no restriction. My experience with this has not been that good. I have a few hundred time slips from the track to look at before and after. For those of you who DONT know, I just finished my second full season racing the SVX at the quarter mile race strip. Anyways.... My results are this:

- An average of two tenths of a second slower at the 60 foot trap.
- Noticable loss of low end torque under 3500 rpms.
- By the 1000 foot mark the lost two tenths were made up.
- At the end of the quarter mile, total gain was about 2 tenths average.

In sort, there is a "small" gain, but at the cost of launching a bit slower. I am sure there is MORE benefit by not having it, but I would bet its all wide open throttle performance and probably above normal street and highway speeds. Keep in mind that the fairy tales about someone cutting the cat out and getting 20 more horsepower out of it, is more like someone who had a plugged cat, cut it out and got the 20 horsepower that a plugged exhaust was robbing him of. That does NOT mean he just got 20 free HP! And for those who need to "see" it... here it is:
SVX=230 HP @ crank
WRONG MATH 230+20=250 hp! Yea (NOT)
Real life math 230-20(plugged exhaust)+20(cutting out restriction)=230 hp that you SHOULD have had to begin with.

There.. My $0.02 AND real life experience.

ECU Tune (stage 1), PWR (prototype aluminum radiator)
Amateur Radio - General Class - K7SVX
#1 92 Teal LSl 246k (Dedicated SVX Race Car, now with 4.44 speed)
#2 92 Teal LSl 125k (Retired, car rescued from a field of weeds)
2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition, Obsidian Black Pearl (Daily driver)
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, Cummins turbo diesel 4x4 (race car & RV hauler)
1985 Honda VF500 Interceptor (fair weather fun commuter)

Going on 11 years of NHRA bracket racing
NHRA Div 6 Car/Driver # T654 (site being rebuilt, new name is www.teamsvxracing.com)
2000 1st Place Club Challenge Series
2002 3rd Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 4th Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 1st Place NW Regional Import Shootout (July 5th)
2004 1st Place Club Challenge #1 (Firebird Raceway)
2004 1st Place NHRA "King of the Track" race
2004 NHRA Gold Cup 2nd place season win
2004 Import/Sport Compact 3rd place season win
2004 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Race of Champions finalist competitor (Mission, BC)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #3
2007 1st Place Track Champion Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #5
2008 Club season 1st place win, Club Champion
2008 2nd Place Season Import Final.
2008 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Import Finals (Woodburn, Or)
2009 2nd Place Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2010 1st Place Club race #2 - 1st place Sport Compact race #1 & #2
Old 11-06-2001, 07:01 AM
Lowered SVX

i dont think.....

any exhaust configuration could free up 20hp for the svx. it was designed better than that. i also agree that any gains you would see would most likely be visible in the top end. nice little write up.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-06-2001, 07:44 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I agree with Chris. A cat is not much more of a detriment to flow than a screen door to a summer breeze. I highly doubt that there are people that can 'feel' the difference. You'd probably get as much performance increase by chucking out the back seat and the spare tire.

Also, regarding this topic, I've noticed some posts where complaints were made about muffler shops not wanting to remove resonators. The deal is that while the EPA hasn't come out and directly stated that the downstream system couldn't be altered, they do discourage it. (The reasoning is that if the backflow pressure is altered, the cats won't 'light-up' as quickly.) What that means to a muffler shop is that when Billy Ray Joe Jim-Bob's Custom Muffler shop on the other side of town gets busted for removing cats, everyone in town gets scrutinized (let's check 'em all while we're here.) If they find any 'hard' violations (such as a core tag missing from a defective cat) they will start looking into 'grey' areas also (the more violations found = more $$.) The shops that will be more adamant about not altering systems at all will be the franchises (Midas, Meineke, etc.) as they are taught this by their corporate trainers.

I'm blown away by the amount of money that people are willing to spend on custom exhaust, etc. A muffler is just a giant beer can with a couple baffles. Cost to manufacture approx. $6/avg. They're kinda like Coca-Cola, the product is nowhere as valuable as the marketing and the paper cup it's served in. If you're going to keep the car forever then maybe stainless is a viable solution for you, but do the math first.

I guess while I'm still up here on my soapbox *S*, y'all need to realize that the trannys do have a couple problems that can be reasonably avoided (or delayed) with a cooler, filter and synthetic fluid (reasonable driving style helps immensely also, but who am I to talk? )The price to repair one isn't all that bad considering that it's AWD. Shoot, I bet if you priced a replacement for a current FWD Acura (just grabbing a name from the top of the list) it would be equal or higher. Be glad you don't own a FWD Chrysler product, most of their dealers have at least three or four transmission techs in order to keep up. I also vaguely recall seeing a 'mods' list or two stating fancy air filters, blue back-up lights, etc. and then the tranny cooler was on the 'wish list'....

*climbs down from soapbox*
Beav
Old 11-06-2001, 09:25 AM
svxalltime!

Smile thanks...

thanks!! I know i will not spend all that money on somthing that i nearly feel... But the exaust system...is it worth the cost, because of the deep sound...I definetly want one but...???

But remember, at weels you don't have 230 hp. The loss of hp in the drivetrain is 40-50 hp on our car. (if i remember right).

Also i bought a cone air filter for my car. I know before i bought it, that it will not bring more power to engine because of the temp under the hood. Sure! I wanted to try it out, so i installed and started up the engine. When i first tested, the noise was so loud, it was differcult to feel something. But after some days i could feel loss of power in mid-range, because i could't feel the soft kick when i passed 4500 rpm.
I then replaced the orginal filter box, but removed the resonator in the weel fender to add cold air more easly, and to get some angry sound. I tested, and once again i cold feel the soft kick.

Sure i know all of you know this, and i know a lot more. But it's so differcult to write.

Thanks anyway!

Kristian
Old 11-06-2001, 10:08 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
Be glad you don't own a FWD Chrysler product, most of their dealers have at least three or four transmission techs in order to keep up. I also vaguely recall seeing a 'mods' list or two stating fancy air filters, blue back-up lights, etc. and then the tranny cooler was on the 'wish list'....

*climbs down from soapbox*
Beav
HA!

I'm glad I don't own a Chrysler product for a number of reasons, and your comment on 'mods' is brilliant.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-06-2001, 12:11 PM
Lowered SVX

i didnt buy a stainless steel exhaust.

but i did buy an exhaust. it was money well spent. my svx is fwd so i have the extra room for true dual exhaust. for my it is this silly obsession i have with symmetry. if i have two pipes coming out the back and two parts coming off the motor......then.....i want two pipes running the length of the car. i have a drop in k&n air filter and i also removed my resonator box. most of my mods are cosmetic related. the exhaust, wheels, suspension, brakes. but the do serve a performance function. the exhaust does free up a little topend hp for when i do driver training events. the wheels keep my brakes cool. the suspension keeps the body roll to a minimum and allows me to feel more connected to the road. the brakes.....well that should be obvious. a lot of mods come down to perception and appearance. i do agree with the cone filter mod.....a little ridiculous. i also agree that a tranny cooler should be mandatory. i think i hear a EC jr. emerging.
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-06-2001, 12:34 PM
Not as old as Randy

I don't know if that's a good thing or not

Anyway, I enjoy seeing how people fix their cars up. They certainly don't do it for me. I just get a lot of cars to work on where ultra bucks are spent on wheels and tires, stereos that induce shell-shock, chrome mufflers, etc. and the owners all cry poor-mouth when the car needs service. I've dealt with a lot of this frustration over the years and thought I could slide a comment in..heheheh. I'd just like to see people use a little better judgement in their priorities.

*standing in front of wall, waiting for bullets to fly...*
Beav

p.s. If we all liked the same things we'd be standing in one helluva long line....
Old 11-06-2001, 12:56 PM
Zombie

I have to agree with most of the comments on the mods. I plan on doing a few tricks, and possibly even getting all decaled up for a car show here (my best friend owns a graphics shop and needs a show car, they'll be in the trash before I drive home). I want big brakes, and I'm in the process of working something out there (to the tune of about 3000 front, 2500 rear). I am more impressed with a car that stops quickly than a car that can accelerate you inot the back seat. I want ot do exaust and something to free up the intake (no cones, unless I can come up with a heat sheild) but I think I'll stop there. I have some work to get done first, (CV joints, motor mount) and I need to decide If I want to replace the auto, or slap in a five speed. I think my point is, maintainance before Mods.... if you cant afford to keep it running, what good is it to trick it out?
mabey thats not my point, my train of thought just went off the tracks and out thru the daisys... there was something else I was gonna say, but I .... what was I saying????
Old 11-06-2001, 04:44 PM
Lowered SVX

hey beav......

i did not mean that badly, i just had a flashback. eddycat was completely pro stock and used to give me a hard time because i enhanced my svx a little. i simply wanted a sportier ride, wanted to enhance aggressive scowl created by the wide lowered look. i am a big scca gt car fan. love the racing bmw's, porches, acura's, etc. so i wanted to get my svx close to that look without the annoying decals and oversized spoilers, ground effects. take a look in my locker and you will see tasteful mods that truly enhance the sportier side of the svx. i fell in love with the sporty agressive looks of the svx. just a bonus that it also happens to be a refined cruiser.
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-07-2001, 09:37 PM
Not as old as Randy

Cool

Cool dude! Actually at one time I was going to build a Group 5 X1/9 but built a 124 Coupe instead. Of course you realize this was more than a few days ago... The coupe was fun though, lowered 3", 215/50-13 T/As, etc. Hard to push the loud pedal to the floor in first gear before hitting 11,000 r's. Sounded like a pack of chainsaws on steroids. Spent a buttload of money too! Bought the car for $200 and had almost $9000 in it two months later. And for me that was all just in parts and machine shop expenses (1979 dollars, too.) Of course being a Fiat it rusted to the ground two years later in Florida and I ended up selling it for $900...
Old 11-08-2001, 12:33 PM
Lowered SVX

are you serious....

hahaha.....nice to have you aboard beav.
"Too much fun to drive!"