How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-05-2001, 06:53 PM
SVXCH

Chip Tuning

Has somebody experience with chiptuning on the SVX. After a long search, I found a firm in Switzerland who offers for more than 7000 cars motor tuning chips, also for the SVX.

It's write: +26 hp (original 230, new 256 horsepower). Torque (I hope it's this word) original 308 Nm/4800 turns/min. New 380 Nm/4600 turns/min (!). Price SFr. 1'100.-- (about $650.--). Topspeed new 246 km/h (original 235).

Is the chip real working? Is the installation so "easy" how the write? How goes the installation? Makes this nothing to the motor, gears etc?
Old 09-05-2001, 07:10 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Chip Tuning

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXCH
Has somebody experience with chiptuning on the SVX. After a long search, I found a firm in Switzerland who offers for more than 7000 cars motor tuning chips, also for the SVX.

It's write: +26 hp (original 230, new 256 horsepower). Torque (I hope it's this word) original 308 Nm/4800 turns/min. New 380 Nm/4600 turns/min (!). Price SFr. 1'100.-- (about $650.--). Topspeed new 246 km/h (original 235).

Is the chip real working? Is the installation so "easy" how the write? How goes the installation? Makes this nothing to the motor, gears etc?
The chip installs into your ECU (Electronic Control Unit) and talks to your systems through the SVX's computer network. It is a simple install. I've heard varied reports on results, however. Most of our members have bought theirs from Australia. I'm skeptical, but there are some here more knowledgeable than I am in this area.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-05-2001, 09:41 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink Re: Re: Chip Tuning

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

The chip installs into your ECU (Electronic Control Unit) and talks to your systems through the SVX's computer network. It is a simple install. I've heard varied reports on results, however. Most of our members have bought theirs from Australia. I'm skeptical, but there are some here more knowledgeable than I am in this area.
Would such an installation for $650 to gain 6 mph in top speed be called "chips fer dips"? Fire away! Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 09-06-2001, 01:54 AM
SVXCH

Which changes brings then this chip from Australia (URL?).

Ok, "only" 6 mph is not much, but torque +76 Nm isn't bad.
Old 09-06-2001, 12:30 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXCH
Which changes brings then this chip from Australia (URL?).

Ok, "only" 6 mph is not much, but torque +76 Nm isn't bad.

http://www.powerchip.com.au/chips/chip.asp?cid=Sub0016
Subaru Ambassador

Old 09-10-2001, 08:26 AM
SVXtypeR

It's all about Power under the curve...

...especially with a street car. It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you get there.

Most all cars on the road in *any* country are speed limited to around a-buck-fifty (150mph). In that spectrum you've got cars that'll take all day to get there, and cars that can do it in the blink of an eye.

An H-6 with 280lb/ft of torque is *definitely* a good thing for drivability (and fun factor). That kind of torque coupled with AWD can put you well on the "blink of an eye" end of the scale. Sides', how many times are you gonna need to go 152mph? (although us 92' owners can already do that )
Old 09-10-2001, 01:09 PM
SVXCH

Ok, most cars from Europe producers have a speed limited on 250 km/h (about 156 miles) but they would go faster, like BMW M3, Mercedes AMG, Audi RS4 etc. Real Sportcars like Ferrari, Porsche naturally not speed limited.

From time to time I go in Germany (only 35 miles away from my town in Switzerland) and go drive full speed. In Germany is no official speed limit on highway , only there where it's sign out or when it's rain or fog. On one side it's very fun to drive so fast, on other side you must be very concentrate. For example, if you see in a distance coming a truck on your side from the track, you must fast slow down, that you can brake early enough.

So, under normal conditions, it's not necessary to have a car who drive 150 mph (or faster), but if he goes, it's cool

Last edited by SVXCH; 09-10-2001 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-10-2001, 01:15 PM

Registered SVX
Re: It's all about Power under the curve...

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXtypeR
...especially with a street car. It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you get there.

Most all cars on the road in *any* country are speed limited to around a-buck-fifty (150mph). In that spectrum you've got cars that'll take all day to get there, and cars that can do it in the blink of an eye.

An H-6 with 280lb/ft of torque is *definitely* a good thing for drivability (and fun factor). That kind of torque coupled with AWD can put you well on the "blink of an eye" end of the scale. Sides', how many times are you gonna need to go 152mph? (although us 92' owners can already do that )
That reminds me of a Steven Wright one-liner my brother-in-law told me the other day.

POLICEMAN: "Did you know that you were going 80 in a 55?"

WRIGHT: "Yes, but I wasn't going to be out here that long."
Subaru Ambassador