SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2001, 08:52 PM
BadDog

Thumbs up Annoyance solved

(Is your SVX sounding/feeling a little aged? This little fix might help...)
Since I bought my '97, I've been embarrassed how my otherwise-sweet experience was ruined every time I opened and closed my driver's side door.. *squeak*, *groan*, *clunk*, *squeak*.... sounded like my old '74 Monte (first car) ... anyway, greasing up the "door check" and hinges didn't help, but I finally tracked down a part # with the help of my friendly Subaru dealer's parts guy... so I ordered part # 62090PA001, the "Door Check Assembly" (it appears the part is interchangeable for L or R side).

I'll provide these quick instructions. Keep in mind the usual caveats

1) Remove door panel using established, time-honored procedure
2) Remove 3 screws for speaker, get the speaker out of the way (I used it's magnet to let it stick to the door; I was afraid I'd break the factory wiring if I tried to unplug it)
3) With a small hammer, *gently* tap upwards on the pin holding the arm of the door checker in place, until it's out. Don't loose it
4) With 1 hand inside the door holding the door checker in place, loosen the 2 external nuts that are on the door-checker's built-in screws (don't loose the nuts either )
5) Take old door-check out
6) Installation of new door-checker is the reverse of removal

The new part comes pre-lubed; I put a little more grease on mine for good measure, however

I post this here because people may not even realize their car has this problem (one of those things that creeps up on you). If a moderator wants to put this in another forum, I won't be offended