SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2012, 06:03 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX
Full bushings replacement

Replacing bushings seems popular and smart. I tried searching a bit and discovered that the following bushings exist:

* Differential bushings
* Steering bushings

Does anyone know of a thread that lists all the bushings that should be replaced?
I'm ready to f...
Old 02-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Full bushings replacement

Do a search on poly bushings and you will get lots of results. Unfortunately some bushings are no longer available. Eg: you have to buy trailing arm to get the bushing.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:47 PM

Registered SVX

the company that makes the polish kit will custom make any bushings you can't find. i had them make me poly ones for the fifteen minute mod and they weren't that much more than the steering dampeners. i bought the whole kit but have yet to get them all installed.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:46 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Oh, that was not great news but I guess I can have them made.

Just to tell you where I stand: I know next to nothing about cars. A colleague promied to provide me with the Hayes book for SVX and I'll start doing things myself soon enough but, for now I need instructions / work requests for a mechanic.

So where are the bushings that need to replaced? Is this thoroughly and quickly documented in the service manual or will a mechanic spend hours reading a language he doesn't understand to figure out what to swap?

Cheers
I'm ready to f...
Old 02-28-2012, 08:08 AM

Registered SVX

you probably don't have to replace the bushings unless they are worn out. the poly bushings aren't necessary just a nice upgrade if you need them already. i think there are several mechanics on the site (including me) that could walk you through anything you have specific questions about.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:55 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92snowmachine View Post
you probably don't have to replace the bushings unless they are worn out. the poly bushings aren't necessary just a nice upgrade if you need them already. i think there are several mechanics on the site (including me) that could walk you through anything you have specific questions about.
Ok? But "everywhere" on this site people say "REPLACE THE BUSHINGS"

Of course, if I don't have to spend those money now, that's fine! God knows I have other things to spend them on (body treatment, engine).

How can I tell if a bushing is worn? How severely do worn bushes affect the car's performance, handling and safety?

Some good news, I apparently found the right shop for me. Recommended by a colleague who owns four Maserati (yet does most of the work himself on those cars). It might cost a bit but at least proper, caring professionals and enthusiasts will undertake all the work this time. Gradually I will get into things myself. And yes, I can change tires.

Sorry for being such a fop but living downtown in a city working with abstract things... you just aren't forced to know anything about cars and mechanics
I'm ready to f...
Old 05-15-2012, 11:52 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92snowmachine View Post
The poly bushings on the sway bars are a total new world, I sh*t you not, just do it! You will be glad you did, turns a leaner into a roller skate!!!! Makes your tirers feel like they are made of glue......