SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2003, 10:35 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
WRX 5 speed tranny computer controlled?

Is any aspect of the WRX 5 speed computer controlled? In particular, I'm wondering is the center diff is computer controlled like on the SVX, and if so, will the SVX TCU interface with it and control it? Anyone here know the answer?

Thanks,

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 03-22-2003, 03:06 PM
Superbeast

Only a few special WRX STIs had driver controled centerdiffs. I'm not sure what is required to make the system work but it has nothing to do with the TCU. Two very different things.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 03-22-2003, 03:18 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
Only a few special WRX STIs had driver controled centerdiffs. I'm not sure what is required to make the system work but it has nothing to do with the TCU. Two very different things.
I was asking if the center diff is computer controlled. Not driver controlled. Isn't the 4eat diff computer controlled?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 03-22-2003, 04:25 PM
Superbeast

Yes the 4eat diff is computer controled, and no the WRX 5speed is not computer controled in any way.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 03-22-2003, 05:17 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
Yes the 4eat diff is computer controled, and no the WRX 5speed is not computer controled in any way.
If it is then im in trouble
Old 03-24-2003, 08:28 PM
red95svx

Subaru 5 speed trannies are mechanically controlled. That goes for the WRX as well.....

Dave
Old 03-25-2003, 10:38 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

The SVX USA auto trans does not have a center differential for front to rear axles. It has a clutch pack called a transfer clutch that slips to allow for the difference in the front and rear axle speeds. When the transfer clutch is fully engaged there is a 50/50 torque split front to rear.

The WRX automatic and WRX 5 spd does not use this method. It has something else that allows more torque to go to the rear wheels. Maybe similar to the SVX auto sold to the rest of the world and not the USA.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:39 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Whats sa diff?

The manuals use a Viscous diff, as John says.

There is a different set up in the STI 2.2 what uses a variable center diff what is controlled by a thumb wheel on the console. I would think that it would be the same as the European 4EAT diff, that would need a TCU to do the job.

Harvey.

Ps. do the later US Legacy, Impressa, 4EAT use the transfer clutch or a center diff?

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:11 AM
Porter

The SVX was the first Subaru to use a VTD transmission, that is, it varies torque distribution via electronic control of the center "diff" clutch packs. The TCU controls this action automatically depending on gear and load, i.e. the lockup into 50:50 in manual mode in low gear.

There has been some headway into designing a control circuit for this feature of the VTD transmissions currently found in the latest crop of Subaru Outback automatics and also in the WRX automatic. The R&D is being done by several members of NASIOC.com and I will have to do some searching to find out where they are in that process, it has been some months since I saw the threads. I remember they stated that it was their belief that it would work on all Subaru VTD transmissions including the SVX since they all share the same basic electronic design.

To put it more simply, this would give us a thumbwheel to dial torque split from 50f/50f to 10f/90r or any point in between at will, while driving. That would be a neat trick.