Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2003, 07:02 PM
sith

cold starting issues

So, have been neglecting to post about this because I'm not sure I really want to know the answers.. but..

So, it's been rather cold here lately. SVX has been very unhappy about this. Twice in the past two weeks i've had to get jump starts to get moving. Not because I don't have enough power to turn over, but because i'll have to try 10 or 15 times to get going and by that point the batt is pretty well flat.

Once the car gets going, it feels like its running a few cylinders short. At first i'll have to keep the gas floored to keep it running. Eventually it'll kick up and feel rough, if I hold the revs at around 2000 a while longer it'll catch and be running fine again.

As I said, it's been Real Cold (tm). When I left for school yesterday at about 10:30am it was 13 below, so i'm not sure how low it got overnight.

Once the car has started once, it'll start again fine. Started about 8 times today without problems after the initial jump this morning.

My initial thought was that the injectors are still the "faulty" ones described in the tsb:
http://members.tripod.com/quick_svx/.../57923805.html

but.. I dunno.

As far as I know, the problem has always been present in the car - the previous owner had it happen repeatedly, though she had a heated garage so it wasn't as big a deal for her. She would just make sure she went out and started it a few times during the day while she was at work.

Any thoughts?

-Colin (yes I'm still alive)
Old 01-24-2003, 07:08 PM
Green1995SVX

Although I cant offer any help to your problem, I really have to say I am glad to see you around. It's been a while, Colin.

Best,

Mike
Old 01-24-2003, 07:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
I had something similar happen with my SVX several years ago. It seems just like one or more cylinders are not running and won't stay running, but smooths out after the engine warms up. My guess was stuck or frozen injectors. The problem has yet to come back but I haven't ran into such low temperatures in awhile. A couple things I would suggest would be to run some injector cleaner through the system and clean the throttle body if you haven't already.

KuoH
Old 01-24-2003, 07:48 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
yeah, either what Kuoh said or possibly the Engine Temperature Sensor. If the radiator fans are running even if it's cold then it would be the sensor. You should also have an engine code in that case as well.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:00 PM
sith

Mike - are you using that weirdo AIM name again? I dun have it in my "buddy list" so I can't find you if you're online. Message me.

Anyways, Kuoh - I'm think that's probably the case. I'll wait and see if I still have troubles when we get back to more sensible temperatures next week. I'll also throw some techron in the tank.

Earthworm - I did an engine temp sensor about a year and a half ago I think, but since the problem has always been present with the car, I'm doubting thats the problem. I will check the radiator fans next time I start the car though.

Thanks all

-Colin
Old 01-24-2003, 10:16 PM

I've dumped tons of cleaner into my tank and I still have rough start/idle. So it may not be an injector problem you're having.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:47 PM

Did you also clean the throttle body? I also used cleaner additives in the fuel for years, but it wasn't until after I cleaned the butterfly valves in the throttle body that I noticed real improvements in starting and idling.

KuoH
Old 01-24-2003, 11:33 PM

Guys, the cold start problem is known to Subaru and there is a TSB on it.
It is a problem with the original design of the fuel injectors - water tends to freeze up on them and block the nozzles.

Redesigned fuel injectors are available, they solve the cold start problems, but you have to ask yourselves whether the cost is justifiable ($80 times 6 plus shipping = $500)
Old 01-24-2003, 11:42 PM
Boone

Here is the TSB. I don't think it's likely to be the problem 'tho.

http://members.tripod.com/quick_svx/.../57923805.html

... just for fun, here's all of them.

http://members.tripod.com/quick_svx/.../42063452.html

Last edited by Boone; 01-24-2003 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:44 PM

Could this cause the car to "almost stall" after the first start of the day?
Old 01-24-2003, 11:50 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Once you get it running does it put out any smoke until it begins to run properly?
Old 01-25-2003, 06:15 AM
sith

I don't get any smoke (as far as I know) ... whatchya thinkin' beav?
Old 01-25-2003, 10:51 AM

Whatever he's thinking, it sounds expensive.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by sith
I don't get any smoke (as far as I know) ... whatchya thinkin' beav?
Old 01-25-2003, 11:09 AM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
Just a possible suggestion, add a small bottle of gasline anti-freeze per tank, for the next several tanks, its cheap, and if you are having a fuel line restriction cause by a build up of moisture you could clean it out. Do noy add 8 bottles at once, not good.

Earthworm, do you at Gasline antifreeze once in a while, mind you have that nasty sub-zero dry cold?

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 01-25-2003, 06:59 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by CDG
Earthworm, do you at Gasline antifreeze once in a while, mind you have that nasty sub-zero dry cold?
I haven't added any gasline antifreeze in my SVX yet. I was expecting to be driving the Justy throughout the winter but it's waiting for a dash.

BTW - I have the TSB's on my site as well (without the banners)

here