How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-27-2002, 01:00 PM
WEASEL

Angry Front Differential

I AM LOOKING FOR ANY ASSISTANCE IN REPLACING MY FRONT DIFF. I HAVE NOT TAKEN THE TRANNY OUT YET SO I DONT KNOW IF IT THE RING, PINION, OR SPIDER GEARS OR ALL OF THE ABOVE. BUT FROM THE LOUD CLUNKING NOISE AND THE ENGINE TRYING TO JUMP OUT OF THE ENGINE BAY I AM SURE IT IS IN THE DIFF SOMEWHERE. I NEED EXPLODE VIEWS OF THE TRANNY IF ANYONE HAS THEM. DOES ANY ONE KNOW IF THE TRANNY NEEDS TO BE DISSASEMBLED TO REPLACE THE PINION? IF SO HAS ANYONE REBUILT THEIR OWN TRANNY? TIME FRAME? PAIN IN THE A** FACTOR? CAN THE PINION BE REMOVED WITHOUT EXTENSIVE TEARDOWN? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APRECIATED, I HAVE ONLY OWNED THE CAR FOR TWO MONTHS....
Old 11-27-2002, 02:39 PM

can't help with drawings or repair steps, but I had the same happen to me, part of the interior case flaked off and got between ring and pinion - destroying both. Yes the tranny needs some disassembly to replace pinion. Shaft goes from rear back to front diff. sorry for the bad news - happened to me after owning mine for all of three weeks.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:49 PM
WEASEL

WELL I FIGURED OUT THAT THE DIFFERENTIAL BEARINGS WERE THE CULPRITS. I DIDNT THINK TO CHECK THOSE. DOH!!