Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-27-2002, 02:37 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
That's why I have my sad email address

svx@powerchip.co.uk

Andy
Old 10-27-2002, 08:42 PM
cjoffe

Out of curiosity, are they still made/sold?

CJ
Old 10-27-2002, 09:41 PM
I_Alcyone_I

Yes but even though there is a chip it does not add 70 HP and 30MPH. This ad is a complete lie, and some unfortunate kid is going to get sucked into it. I'm betting the transmission wont get out of second on it, the engine is leaking from the cams, the power steering is leaking and the wheel bearings are howling.
Old 10-28-2002, 05:52 AM
cjoffe

Quote:
Originally posted by I_Alcyone_I
Yes but even though there is a chip it does not add 70 HP and 30MPH.
That's too bad. I was hoping it could make me breakfast and polish my.... never mind.

I know the effect would be minimal. I've had several cars and bikes with chips in them. It depends on how screwed up they were from the factory. MotoGuzzi bikes are TERRIBLE without some kind of alteration.

If a motor is slightly inefficient or dirty, sometimes they will program a lean spot into the map where the EPA/DOT does their testing. Usually the best these chips can do is alleviate the flat-spot. Sometimes all they do is dump more gas under zero-vacuum conditions. It really depends, but unless the motor was really mistuned by the factory or de-tuned so as not to compete with a higher-priced but similar model, they won't do much good and can frequently mess things up worse.

We've had good results with badly running Ducatis by removing the chip the owner/last shop put in and just setting the bike up correctly.

CJ
Old 10-29-2002, 06:45 PM
MYgreen92

Quote:
Originally posted by I_Alcyone_I

16'' steering wheel? why in gods name would anyone want a steering wheel that big.
Havent you heard? this is the HOTTEST thing from japan right now, kids everywhere are using their factory alloys as steering wheels!
Old 10-31-2002, 04:14 PM
overdalimit

WHATEVER

MAN.......I saw the same ad and I was thinking...HELL! he must mean a damn Corvette. I have a 95 SVX and the damn thing ain't near that fast as he said it is.....Let's face it in 1992 upon the introduction of the SVX 230HP was considered overkill. Hell, a Mustang GT only had 225Hp but now.......Man Cadillacs are coming with 300HP. and a hell of a lot more torque. I love my SVX but lets face it...It ain't fast enough..PERIOD! I own a turbocharged 89 Probe GT that'll give it hell!
Old 10-31-2002, 06:01 PM

No offense to our cars, but I wouldn't be surprised to find a Geo Metro LSI out accelerating an SVX off the line.
Old 10-31-2002, 06:33 PM
overdalimit

YA' RIGHT ABOUT THAT

Yeah...I used to be a used car dealer and had a Geo Metro. It seemed quicker off the line (HAHAHHA). I am a speed freak and that darn SVX is just not fast. I don't even engage in trying to race anybody because..Well, you know why. The Corvette and Camaro both weigh in between 3200 Lbs - 3400 Lbs but they have almost 100 more Hp and almost 100 more Ft/Lbs of torque. It's just no way no more what you do to the SVX for it to be as fast ass those cars. Nitrous is an option but then you have the bottle refills. I have been researching and should I say am considering a supercharger design for the car. This I have determined, even with my mechanical ability, is not going to be cheap. The main problem is that the compression ratio of the engine is TOO HIGH for any great forced induction modification to be worth it with the stock configuration. (Turbo/Supercarger). What I am thinking about doing is getting a used engine and having some low compression pistons made. The Forced Air Tech system only add around 40-50 Hp. FOR 4K...????MAN PLEASE! the next thing is....Nobody wants to design anything for our car because well, they are unique and not many people even have the thing! I want to do this simply because nobody has done it and nobody looks like they are going to do any perf. mods either. The next thing is.....WILL THE DAMN TRANSMISSION I PAID $3000 TO HAVE REBUILT HOLD UP TO SAY 75-100 MORE HP? UMMMMMM Maybe I should just remember the thing is slow and start building my engine for my Prelude and forget about trying or thinking of making the SVX any faster!
Old 10-31-2002, 06:50 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: YA' RIGHT ABOUT THAT

Quote:
Originally posted by overdalimit
Maybe I should just remember the thing is slow and start building my engine for my Prelude and forget about trying or thinking of making the SVX any faster!
Sounds like a good idea to me.

Mike
Old 10-31-2002, 07:27 PM
I_Alcyone_I

Re: YA' RIGHT ABOUT THAT

Quote:
What I am thinking about doing is getting a used engine and having some low compression pistons made.
There was a 4 cyl made by subaru that is supposed to have the same size pistons as the SVX, but with less compression. You could just do a piston swap with that. Do a little research and i'm sure you can find the engine I'm talking about, because I don't remember.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:32 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink Re: WHATEVER

Quote:
MAN.......I saw the same ad and I was thinking...HELL! he must mean a damn Corvette. I have a 95 SVX and the damn thing ain't near that fast as he said it is.....Let's face it in 1992 upon the introduction of the SVX 230HP was considered overkill. Hell, a Mustang GT only had 225Hp but now.......Man Cadillacs are coming with 300HP. and a hell of a lot more torque. I love my SVX but lets face it...It ain't fast enough..PERIOD! I own a turbocharged 89 Probe GT that'll give it hell!

No permanent offense intended, but I keep wondering why so many of the under 30 crowd seem to moan because they can't water ski behind a sailboat? Time marches on - I'm sure tomorrow's Corolla will get 220+ HP & get to 60 in under 6 seconds & give them pesky Neons fits. Yada-yada.
If 145 mph ain't fast enough, take a plane. I know, a lot of you guys only rate a car by what it can do in a straight line. Fine. Go sink your bucks in those cars that seems ideal for this test & have at it. I'll cheer you on at the dragstrip - but NOT in front of my house.
The SVX was designed to be an understated cruiser. Quiet, comfortable & unbeatable in adverse weather. Let's try to do a curvy blacktop at 80mph with steady rain in a Geo LSI or Camero.
Let's try to squeeze an SVX in a 12 foot city parking space. Give me the Geo!

Thanks for allowing today's rant - Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.

Last edited by Ron Mummert; 10-31-2002 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:35 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: Re: WHATEVER

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

No permanent offense intended, but keep wondering why so many of the under 30 crowd seem to moan because they can't water ski behind a sailboat? Time marches on - I'm sure tomorrow's Corolla will get 220+ HP & get to 60 in under 6 seconds & give them pesky Neons fits. Yada-yada.
If 145 mph ain't fast enough, take a plane. I know, a lot of you guys only rate a car by what it can do in a straight line. Fine. Go sink your bucks in those cars that seems ideal for this test & have at it. I'll cheer you on at the dragstrip - but NOT in front of my house.
The SVX was designed to be an understated cruiser. Quiet, comfortable & unbeatable in adverse weather. Let's try to do a curvey blacktop at 80mph with steady rain in a Geo LSI or Camero.

THANK YOU Ron. Couldnt have said it better myself!

Mike
Old 10-31-2002, 10:31 PM

Re: Re: WHATEVER

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

No permanent offense intended, but I keep wondering why so many of the under 30 crowd seem to moan because they can't water ski behind a sailboat? Time marches on - I'm sure tomorrow's Corolla will get 220+ HP & get to 60 in under 6 seconds & give them pesky Neons fits. Yada-yada.
The SVX was designed to be an understated cruiser. Quiet, comfortable & unbeatable in adverse weather. Let's try to do a curvy blacktop at 80mph with steady rain in a Geo LSI or Camero.

Oh I know. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my car. If I wanted insane speed I'd have gotton a corvette.

Last edited by DavieGravy; 10-31-2002 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11-01-2002, 12:32 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
I already sent him an email at 11oclock this morning pointing out everythign thats wrong, and I told him that if he doesn't change his ad I'll send the info along with the fact there's no CHIP to every bidder he gets.

I hate ignorant people WHO DONT KNOW WHAT THEY"RE TALKING ABOUT.

- Ca$h
Does that include you as well? There are chips out there for SVXes. They just don't do much. Also it is hard to get the right chip for your car since FHI kept playing around with different settings on the ECU so you need a different chip for different ECU. So... you might want to send him another email saying sorry about the chip. As for the 250hp, that's extra 30 from what we know. Maybe it's his painted grill that increases the extra 30hp. I know my 97 grill give me extra 10hp (in my dreams). The MPH is off alittle as well. 92 can go as high as 150+(as I was told).

Just a little dosage to let you know that you too do not know everything. I don't either.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 11-01-2002, 03:08 AM
overdalimit

YEAH OK!

ALL of that statement was true. It's not a matter of what handles better or what's faster. Because if I had to have speed and handling then I'd trash my SVX and buy the Twin Turbo AWD Porsche my friend has and that'd be it! But all I stated was that the damn thing is so and I was hoping that you DAVYGRAVY had some ideas that I could invest in for speed like I_ALCYONE_I who said that I could use the pistons out of a 4 cylinder. Hell, I complained of the power before I bought the car and I still do but you know why I bought it? BECAUSE IT IS A BAD A** LOOKING CAR AND THERE'S ONLY 3 HERE IN BATON ROUGE, LOUISIANA AND 1 OF THOSE IS ON A CAR LOT. To be honest with you a Corvette is slow! Once you've driven alot of fast cars like I do, nothing seems fast anymore but you better believe everytime I stick that key in the ignition I'm thinking I'm gonna squeeze 80 more HP out of this thing one day just because I know it can be done. I really don't appreciate people that misrepresent add on crap that claims to give power that really isn't possible. Like, a damn crank pulley that'll give you 25 more HP! HAHHAHA. or how about a chip that'll give you 50 more HP, HAHAHHA Now, not downing my SVX because I'd have to total the thing in order to get rid of it....I even think my Saturn SL2 (1.9 DOHC) is quicker off the line. I'm not crying just trying to motivate myself and say you know what....I've got to make this thing quicker.. I figure a 0-60 MPH time in the 6 3/4 to 7 1/2 second range would be good and maybe at least a 14.0 second 1/4 mile SVX would make a couple of you guys get a woody! (SMILE) and that's fairly easy to achieve with the right combination. Lets go into LA..LA land and visualize with me for a second....

UMMMMMM... I see a belt driven supercharger sitting where the battery is with the battery being relocated to the trunk. an aftermarket slim line intercooler mounted behind that damn bad a** front bumper that I saw with my eyes @ MOTORSPORT WAREHOUSE. Now, we've got to have that bumper because you can't squeeze a jelly doughnut behind the factory one. Custom made piping (easy part) and a AFC to control the additonal fuel I'll need and some new LOW COMP. pistons so we can throw some real boost at the engine and not 4 PSI like....Well, I'll leave that alone. HUMMMM....should I go down to the cam shop and let'em make me a couple special grinds? Why Not! Money is not the issue here now is it? (thinking hard) I wonder if that damn tranny is going to hold up.....Ummm........Bottom line is .......It sounds good to me! JUST EXPENSIVE! but who cares I spent 3 grand to have the Tranny shop fondle my car for a week just to continue to ride! I LOVE MY DAMN SVX EVEN IF IT"S SLOW. I'd just wish that we all could get more power and not have to spend a lot of money doing it. I'm checking in to it though. I've even talked to a fabrication shop about the turbo route and they may be willing to do it but for probally no less than 4K!

Last edited by overdalimit; 11-01-2002 at 03:11 AM.