How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-20-2001, 09:23 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Question Wheels - Offset and Fittings

With the heat wave coming through Toronto, I guess it's perfect time to talk about snow tires.

I've just been offered a set of steel rims that was used for snow tires for a 89 Supra Turbo. Rim specs are 16x7, 5x114.3mm.

I'm wondering:

1) What would be the minimum offset required to fit this set of rims on the car? I recall reading something about rims with less than a 38mm offset on a 7.5" width will not fit the car. So with a set of 7" rims, how large would the offset have to be?

2) What are the ramifications for putting rims on that are significantly different than the factory 55mm (based on a 7.5")? What's the general consensus about how much it can deviate before, say, wheel bearing problems can be an issue? I mean, with our super duper strong rear bearings on the car, it won't be an issue anyways, right?

The rims have been offered to me at definitely the right price (read: $0), so I'd like to take advantage of it if I can, as long as I won't pay for it dearly later on, such as (even more) wheel bearing replacements.

Of course, since I'm replacing bearings fairly frequently anyways, I guess, what's the difference??

VK
Old 06-21-2001, 07:53 AM
Lowered SVX

i would go for it.

i have 17" wheels and have experienced now significant bearing problems or advanced bearing wear. hell put them on drive the car around and if everything looks and sounds good then there you go. you could also call tirerack.com or discounttiredirect.com, tell them the wheels size and they will tell you if it will fit your car. good luck and enjoy the free wheels.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-21-2001, 10:04 AM
SVXtypeR

Maybe I can help...

If you have the offset of the wheels you want, I can plug them into an Excel spreadsheet I made up for just such an occasion. The easy way to measure offset? all you need is a ruler, some string and another pair of hands.

1. lay the wheel *face down* on the ground.
2. have someone lay a length of string across the center of the wheel and hold it tight (make sure the string lays across the *wheel* and not the *tire*, tires are on average and inch wider at the buldge and will give you an incorrect measurement).
3. measure the distance (preferrably in millimeters) from the string down to the hub mounting face (the area where the wheel touches the hub when you bolt it on the car).

This is your offset. If the measurement is greater than half the wheel width (as it is on the SVX) you have *positive* offset. If it is less than that, you have *negative* offset.