Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-23-2013, 09:02 AM

Main catalytic convertor help...

My 22 year old cat is buzzing to the point of annoyance now and pinpointed this is the noise source, not the many heat shields. Due to it's "pancake" form with heatshield above, it looks like the universal round ones might be problematic as far as fit. Anyone have the dimensions/source for a replacement cat that can fit in this space without removing the shield or worrying about the drive shaft clearance ? Don't want to just replace with a straight pipe. Any flat cats like the OEM on the market ?

Thanks in advance...
Old 07-23-2013, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Main catalytic convertor help...

MAGNAFLOW 94007

Never a fitment or clearance problem. Heat shield can remain. Sxvfiles has done this setup numerous times , including my 92 and 96.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 07-23-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:21 AM

What took you so long with an answer !! Great...I see they have these on eBay with free shipping and even a "best offer" option. Off to order one...

Much appreciated as usual...
Old 07-23-2013, 09:29 AM

Just noticed I am an idiot..it is the distal resonator, not the cat in front of it, that was the "buzzinator". Same question but different part needed..a "flat" resonator if they exixt. Sorry for my confusion.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:21 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
MAGNAFLOW 94007

Never a fitment or clearance problem. Heat shield can remain. Sxvfiles has done this setup numerous times , including my 92 and 96.

Looking good, is the megaflow cats also?

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX
Old 07-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-svx View Post
Looking good, are they Magnaflow cats also?
No. They are AeroTurbine AR20 resonators. They can be used to replace the original pre-cats in the 1992-1995 OBDI cars without problems. No CEL, etc.

They do not work well on OBDII cars; the system is more sensitive and needed pre-cats to keep the CEL off. After these photos were taken, I removed the resonators and replaced them with small Magnaflow converters. No problems since.

Magnaflow 99204HM

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Last edited by svxcess; 07-23-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteract7 View Post
Just noticed I am an idiot..it is the distal resonator, not the cat in front of it, that was the "buzzinator". Same question but different part needed..a "flat" resonator if they exixt. Sorry for my confusion.
I've got the same problem... considering just having a muffler shop replace it with a piece of straight pipe. Has anyone done this or have a good suggestion for a replacement?
Old 07-23-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrvr View Post
I've got the same problem... considering just having a muffler shop replace it with a piece of straight pipe. Has anyone done this or have a good suggestion for a replacement?
Svxcess has given me some pretty good advice here..says without a resonator, just a straight pipe, there is a nasty drone around 2,500-3,000 rpms. I have ordered, per his advice, a AR25 (Aero Turbine) resonator (2.5I/O) and 2 TorcTite 2.5" clamps to replace my blown resonator. The AR25 is on eBay ($36.95 shipped) and the TorcTite clamps at Vertex Industries for $27.70 shipped through Verocious Motorsport's WWW site.

Hope this helps...it's the way I'm going for around $65.00 total cost and being able to connect without welding which I have the capability of doing myself..Svxcess's system, per him, is solid with these excellent band claps and it gives you the ability to remove at least the posterior part of the exhaust w/o unbolting the whole setup.

BTW, SVXcess..sent you a PM...
Old 07-23-2013, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

The straight pipe is worse. You will get an annoying resonance (droning) at highway speeds. You need room for the exhaust gases to expand after exiting the converter.

Do a search here. The AR25's are a good bet. Ask svxfiles, who has done more SVX exhaust systems than anyone.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:37 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Svxcess has given me some pretty good advice here..says without a resonator, just a straight pipe, there is a nasty drone around 2,500-3,000 rpms. I have ordered, per his advice, a AR25 (Aero Turbine) resonator (2.5I/O) and 2 TorcTite 2.5" clamps to replace my blown resonator. The AR25 is on eBay ($36.95 shipped) and the TorcTite clamps at Vertex Industries for $27.70 shipped through Verocious Motorsport's WWW site.

Hope this helps...it's the way I'm going for around $65.00 total cost
and being able to connect without welding which I have the capability of doing myself..Svxcess's system, per him, is solid with these excellent band claps and it gives you the ability to remove at least the posterior part of the exhaust w/o unbolting the whole setup.

BTW, SVXcess..sent you a PM...

You will need to slip a 2.5" pipe/tube over the front and rear stock midpipe.
The stock tubing is a perfect fit to the inside diameter of the 2.5" splice.
After "rounding" the stock pipe, you can weld in the 2.5" splice pipes into place.
Then the band clamps will fit.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 07-23-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Svxcess has given me some pretty good advice here..says without a resonator, just a straight pipe, there is a nasty drone around 2,500-3,000 rpms...
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
The straight pipe is worse. You will get an annoying resonance (droning) at highway speeds.
Thanks for the pointers, guys, I'm glad I didn't just go out and do that! Looks like I'll be going to a muffler shop to have them add the slip pipes and install the new resonator.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
[/COLOR]
You will need to slip a 2.5" pipe/tube over the front and rear stock midpipe.
The stock tubing is a perfect fit to the inside diameter of the 2.5" splice.
After "rounding" the stock pipe, you can weld in the 2.5" splice pipes into place.
Then the band clamps will fit.
SVXcess...John,

Per svxfiles' post...will my 2.5" TorcTite clamps connect the AR 2.5" in/out sides to the stock 2.36 ID(60mm) midpipe sides directly or do I need the band clamps to be seeing 2.5" on both sides ?
Old 07-23-2013, 08:20 PM
5spd + coilovers = win :D

Registered SVX

Quote:
SVXcess...John,

Per svxfiles' post...will my 2.5" TorcTite clamps connect the AR 2.5" in/out sides to the stock 2.36 ID(60mm) midpipe sides directly or do I need the band clamps to be seeing 2.5" on both sides ?
You'll need some tubing adapters, probably 2.25 ID to 2.5 ID.
Stock midpipe is ~2.35" OD last time I measured, and I'm pretty sure I measured right as I've had an AR25 sitting around for awhile because I thought it would fit the stock piping exactly...
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

2001 Black Toyota Sequoia (hauler/daily)
1992 Blue Toyota Cressida (drift car)
1992 Red Toyota MR2 (weekend/track day car)
Old 07-24-2013, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWindows View Post
You'll need some tubing adapters, probably 2.25 ID to 2.5 ID.Stock midpipe is ~2.35" OD last time I measured, and I'm pretty sure I measured right as I've had an AR25 sitting around for awhile because I thought it would fit the stock piping exactly...
Could you mean 2.25" OD to 2.5" ID adaptor..? 2.25" OD would slip inside stock 2.36" ID pipe leaving 2.5" ID to fit AR25...?

Thanks
Old 07-24-2013, 07:30 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Exhaust pipes are sold by the outside diameter.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/d...dividual-bends
A pair of strait 2.5" (aluminized) sleeves are the correct way to make this work.

Like I said earlier.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link