How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-20-2013, 10:32 PM

Registered SVX
gd sti hub swap?

has anyone swapped in front and rear knuckles from a GD sti on the svx? if so would you use the svx or sti axles?
reason being, i might be getting my hands on a rolling chassis with an sti drivetrain i plan i swapping into the svx
Old 07-21-2013, 08:12 AM

Re: gd sti hub swap?

Rears can be swapped right in. The swaybar will no longer be able to be hooked up however as it mounts to the SVX knuckles. The axleshaft you use will depend on the rear diff. If you keep the SVX rear diff you will keep the SVX rear axleshafts. If you use the R180 out of the STi you will use the STi rear axles. They are both the same length and have the same outer end. I currently have an R180 with STi shafts and my SVX knuckles, and I am swapping to the STI rear knuckles in a couple weeks after I finish my headgasket job.

The fronts are completely different on the bottom mounting point. The SVX uses the old style 3 bolt balljoints. The STi uses the new style balljoint. To get them to work you would need to machine an adapter to mount the newer style balljoint to the SVX control arm.

You can still use the STi 6MT if that is your desire and keep the SVX front knuckles with the SVX front axleshafts. All you need to do is get the stub shafts and seals that mount into the 6MT to allow the use of the female inner axleshafts.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:28 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireiron View Post
Rears can be swapped right in. The swaybar will no longer be able to be hooked up however as it mounts to the SVX knuckles. The axleshaft you use will depend on the rear diff. If you keep the SVX rear diff you will keep the SVX rear axleshafts. If you use the R180 out of the STi you will use the STi rear axles. They are both the same length and have the same outer end. I currently have an R180 with STi shafts and my SVX knuckles, and I am swapping to the STI rear knuckles in a couple weeks after I finish my headgasket job.

The fronts are completely different on the bottom mounting point. The SVX uses the old style 3 bolt balljoints. The STi uses the new style balljoint. To get them to work you would need to machine an adapter to mount the newer style balljoint to the SVX control arm.

You can still use the STi 6MT if that is your desire and keep the SVX front knuckles with the SVX front axleshafts. All you need to do is get the stub shafts and seals that mount into the 6MT to allow the use of the female inner axleshafts.
Awesome good to know, I'll swap the rears and mount the brembo fronts
Old 07-21-2013, 05:02 PM

The front is more difficult than that... They don't just bolt right on. The rotor is the wrong size, as the SVX pushes the caliper further away from the hub than the imprezza chassis. Play around with it and you will see what is what. As long as you have the parts in hand, might as well play with them.

Also!!! Be sure it is an 05-07 STi, not the 04. The 04 rear knuckles will not work unless you swap the hubs from the 05 to 07 into them for the 5x114 bolt pattern to match the SVX. So the 04 stuff CAN work, but it takes more parts and work to get them setup right. So aim for 05-07.