How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-28-2013, 03:51 AM

Registered SVX
5mt on the way, pre-game double checking

So I've got the 05 Legacy GT 5mt and lsd rear end sitting in the shop, hopefully you geniuses can double check the vin and make sure it is an lgt.

From what ive read all i need to do for the front end is pull the stubs out of the auto, get some new auto seals from subaru, and pop everything back together in the 5mt. The rear end im not sure about, if I read the guides right because the lgt rear end is an lsd I should be able to use the svx axles correct?

I know its mostly about driving style but anybody think a stage 1 excedy 2.5rs clutch with 80% left will be enough? I dont ever do hard launches though i do drive a bit spirited at times.

If i use a wrx brake booster and pedal set do I have to modify anything extra to fit or do these bolt up for the most part?

Where the Heck do I get a hydraulic clutch setup? master, slave, and line?

Thank you all for the help and putting up with my garbled giberish, time at posting is 3am pst @_@ I want to get as much ready as possibly and hopefully be able to get stuff done on my week off in may.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:41 AM

Registered SVX
Re: 5mt on the way, pre-game double checking

You may have to transplant the LSD bits from the SVX rear end into the Legacy rear end. Subaru more than likely used a different type of carrier for the Legacy LSD. The SVX rear cv shafts have a total of 3 splined areas that fit into the differential. I'm willing to bet that the Legacy diff has 2. This page has good information and pictures to show the differences.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:45 AM

You should not have to do anything for the front axles. If the 5MT has stubs, which it should, than the front shafts will connect directly to them.

The rear end you are kind of screwed about. The SVX inner CV only works in the SVX rear diff, and the old JDM mechanical LSD rear diff (very rare). The problem with swapping to another R160 out of the newer models (like your 05) is that you can't use the rear shafts from the newer vehicles either because the SVX has the larger outer CV end that matches the STi. You can swap to an R180 rear diff and use the STi 5x114 rear axles, or you can get the custom built rear CV shafts to use the normal R160 (what you have from the 05) with the larger outer hub. They do make the custom rear CV shafts because of the WRXs that swap to STi brembos and hubs but keep their driveline.

This is the reason a lot of people get the WRX 5MT with the 1.1:1 center diff and the 3.90 front ratio, because that matches up with the 3.54 rear diff in the SVX already. As Dragoontwo said, you can swap the LSD carrier into the 05 rear diff, or the ring and pinion gears into the SVX rear diff. Keeping the LSD carrier from the SVX will allow you to use the SVX rear axleshafts exactly as they are now.

The pic Dragoontwo posted to is from when I swapped to my STi driveline and pulled the SVX rear diff and shafts. You can see that the SVX rear shaft inner CV are unique. All of the other subaru diffs use symmetrical inner rear CVs.

As a recap, your BEST option for the rear end with the parts you have is to use the 05 rear diff and have the LSD carrier from the SVX rear diff swapped into it. You will end up with the correct gear ratio to match the 5MT you have and have the correct carrier to match up to the SVX rear axle shafts.

I have to head out now, but I'll try and comment on the pedals and firewall setup later today if I can.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:13 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireiron View Post
You should not have to do anything for the front axles. If the 5MT has stubs, which it should, than the front shafts will connect directly to them.

The rear end you are kind of screwed about. The SVX inner CV only works in the SVX rear diff, and the old JDM mechanical LSD rear diff (very rare). The problem with swapping to another R160 out of the newer models (like your 05) is that you can't use the rear shafts from the newer vehicles either because the SVX has the larger outer CV end that matches the STi. You can swap to an R180 rear diff and use the STi 5x114 rear axles, or you can get the custom built rear CV shafts to use the normal R160 (what you have from the 05) with the larger outer hub. They do make the custom rear CV shafts because of the WRXs that swap to STi brembos and hubs but keep their driveline.

This is the reason a lot of people get the WRX 5MT with the 1.1:1 center diff and the 3.90 front ratio, because that matches up with the 3.54 rear diff in the SVX already. As Dragoontwo said, you can swap the LSD carrier into the 05 rear diff, or the ring and pinion gears into the SVX rear diff. Keeping the LSD carrier from the SVX will allow you to use the SVX rear axleshafts exactly as they are now.

The pic Dragoontwo posted to is from when I swapped to my STi driveline and pulled the SVX rear diff and shafts. You can see that the SVX rear shaft inner CV are unique. All of the other subaru diffs use symmetrical inner rear CVs.

As a recap, your BEST option for the rear end with the parts you have is to use the 05 rear diff and have the LSD carrier from the SVX rear diff swapped into it. You will end up with the correct gear ratio to match the 5MT you have and have the correct carrier to match up to the SVX rear axle shafts.

I have to head out now, but I'll try and comment on the pedals and firewall setup later today if I can.
Question for you, or anyone actually.

He says the rear diff from the 05 lgt has LSD. is it the vlsd of the wrx, or mechanical?
And is the 05 lsd he has better or worse then the svx's?
Old 04-28-2013, 09:26 AM

Registered SVX

I can't tell you exactly which LSD it is, but I'm going to go with VLSD. Which is the same type as the SVX. As to which is better, I couldn't say.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:46 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
I can't tell you exactly which LSD it is, but I'm going to go with VLSD. Which is the same type as the SVX. As to which is better, I couldn't say.
VLSD sounds right, and if so probably on line with the wrx's.
As in the thread linked to earlier the svx's lsd has more plates and is better then the wrx's.

From the stand point I was asking, I wonder if the cost to get custom cv shafts made would be worth it. As in if the lgt's lsd was better.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:39 PM

Registered SVX

I was kinda hoping to use the lgt lsd diff because i threw my car up on the lift and the back wheels spun pretty damn freely which makes me think the lsd doesnt do much lsd-ing.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:42 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop View Post
I was kinda hoping to use the lgt lsd diff because i threw my car up on the lift and the back wheels spun pretty damn freely which makes me think the lsd doesnt do much lsd-ing.
Not sure what you mean by spun freely. If you meant even though the car was in park and the drive shaft was connected the wheels spun freely, that is nothing to do with the lsd that would be the rear transfer clutch( i believe) if however you mean when you spun one tire the other spun the other direction? that would be the lsd.

If I am not mistaken if you spin one rear wheel and the other spins in the same direction the lsd is working.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:16 PM

The 05 will be a VLSD also, however the SVX VLSD is a much better unit than the other subaru VLSD units. On a lift you would not be able to tell if any subaru has a VLSD because of the way a VLSD works. It needs the heat buildup of slipping under power at speed to warm up the VLSD fluid and tighten the clutch plates.

Swapping the VLSD carrier from the SVX into the 05 will allow you to use OEM SVX axles if you ever need to replace one in the future, although even those are not that easy to acquire now a days.

If you pull the carrier out to swap it, DONT open it. The VLSD fluid is in a sealed unit and the fluid stinks horribly and is also very difficult to find to replace.

I wanted a LSD that would really be felt and work well which is why I was happy to go to the R180 from the STi with the mechanical LSD to match the mechanical LSD in the front diff of the 6MT.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:17 PM

Registered SVX

Since I'm hoping to get this done this week in getting the last few bits together.

I thought I read I need to put in new axle seals on the transmission to work with the auto axles. Do and does anyone have the part number? And does anyone have a suggestion for how long the shift linkages need to be lengthened?
Old 05-20-2013, 10:57 PM

The front axleshafts should be the same auto or MT. I know I'm using my auto shafts with my 6MT box. The seal for the front seals the stub shaft thats in the transmission, not the axleshaft so as long as the seal and stub shaft match the transmission it should be fine. In the front all you do is drive out the roll pin and take the axleshaft off the stub shaft that stays in the transmission.

No idea on the shift linkages as my 6MT is a different length than the 5MT.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:26 AM

Registered SVX

I know the axles will swap over but i was wondering about the seals in the transmissions, i also have to remove the stubs from the auto trans because the manual does not come with them.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:42 PM

Just get seals for a 5MT new from the dealer to go with the stubs and c-clips. They can also get new C-Clips if you will need them. When I put the seals and stubs in mine (the seals are left and right side specific) I put the seals in, then greased up the stubs and carefully slid them through the seals and then tapped them into place with a hammer and wood block.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:48 PM

Registered SVX

You are gona love the 5 speed. Welcome to the club
Old 05-21-2013, 10:37 PM

Registered SVX

Sadly my budget got cut down quite a bit and ill be holding off till next month, which will give me time to iron out the rest of the kinks and make sure this is exactly how I want it to be.

thanks you all for the help.