Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-18-2013, 10:18 PM

Transmission Drain

Been reading past couple hours on the best way(per se) to drain and refill... most opinions are drain fill, drain fill, drain fill...I read where someone had the idea of basically pouring 8 or so quarts in a bucket, taking loose the tranny line to the radiator, running a hose into the bucket, starting the car and letting the pump suck the ATF from the bucket to completely fill the transmission and letting it drain from the removed fill plug.When you get "clean" fluid coming out the drain. quickly install plug while someone kills the engine. Now...here's my thought. After all that, get a CLEAN drain pan, , remove plug let it drain ,, remove pan, replace filter, clean any sludge, install new filter and install pan.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:22 PM

Re: Transmission Drain

Oh, and use the clean ATF that you just drained in the bucket to refill it. Seems a great way to get the TC filled.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:53 AM

Actually, I wont even pull the drain plug. I'll let it cycle throught the radiator line i disconnected,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thoughts? Anyone tried this?
Old 04-19-2013, 11:35 AM

No expert here, but all the angst about getting every last drop of old fluid out of the transmission seems needless unless the stuff is burnt to the color of coffee or otherwise contaminated.

dcb
Old 04-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

my biggest hesitation with doing the cooler lines is the fact i need a large amount of fluid $$$
Old 04-20-2013, 07:26 PM

What's the fill capacity from empty..8 qts?
Old 04-20-2013, 08:00 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by simboglide View Post
Been reading past couple hours on the best way(per se) to drain and refill... most opinions are drain fill, drain fill, drain fill...I read where someone had the idea of basically pouring 8 or so quarts in a bucket, taking loose the tranny line to the radiator, running a hose into the bucket, starting the car and letting the pump suck the ATF from the bucket to completely fill the transmission and letting it drain from the removed fill plug.When you get "clean" fluid coming out the drain. quickly install plug while someone kills the engine. Now...here's my thought. After all that, get a CLEAN drain pan, , remove plug let it drain ,, remove pan, replace filter, clean any sludge, install new filter and install pan.
The pump won't suck the oil into the trans. The pipe goes to lube the trans.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:42 PM

Soooooo.....the pump in the transmission doesn't push or suck the fluid up to the radiator and back again?
Old 04-21-2013, 03:38 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Soooooo.....the pump in the transmission doesn't push or suck the fluid up to the radiator and back again?
Yes and no. The pump pumps the oil from the torque converter out to the cooler, then back to the gearbox to lube the gears and bearings, it doesn't suck it back again.
Break the loop and it will just piss out.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:21 PM

Almost ready to start the transmission fluid refill(Saturday) 8 qts Valv. maxlife dex/merc.. 1 bottle RED Lubegard , and I have Seafoam Trans Tune , to run tomorrow and Saturday morning to "de-varnish" Any thoughts on the Seafoam before i dump it in?
Old 04-25-2013, 10:58 PM
5spd + coilovers = win :D

Registered SVX

Quote:
Almost ready to start the transmission fluid refill(Saturday) 8 qts Valv. maxlife dex/merc.. 1 bottle RED Lubegard , and I have Seafoam Trans Tune , to run tomorrow and Saturday morning to "de-varnish" Any thoughts on the Seafoam before i dump it in?
Seafoam is kinda harsh, so I would suggest putting in the Seafoam first, driving it for about 50 or so miles, then flushing it with the new fluids.
Basically, don't leave the Seafoam in your transmission indefinitely.
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

2001 Black Toyota Sequoia (hauler/daily)
1992 Blue Toyota Cressida (drift car)
1992 Red Toyota MR2 (weekend/track day car)
Old 04-26-2013, 05:34 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Don't use the seafom. It is too harsh and it is redundant and it will compromise the Lubegard product's ability to condition the seals, which will need it.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 04-26-2013, 06:19 AM

The thought was , put it in today,drain and refill with Lubegard tomorrow.Of course. Don't know how complete of a drain I'm going to get tomorrow though.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:00 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
The thought was , put it in today,drain and refill with Lubegard tomorrow.Of course. Don't know how complete of a drain I'm going to get tomorrow though.
Don't do it. Don't use any harsh detergents in a tranny where the seals may have been coated with grunge for an extended period! Even with the Lubegard you may experience some leaking after it sits in the tranny for a while. However, it also contains seal conditioners so it should rejuvinate the seals at the same time. It is literally the ONLY product I would ever put in the tranny other than ATF. I don't even like the ATF products (Maxlife and others) that contain cleaners with the ATF.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 04-26-2013, 09:48 AM

Last but no least,,, Diff lube....did the the factory use synthetc or dino?