Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension

Old 11-10-2012, 08:04 PM

Re: sti alloy lateral links

I havn't driven it yet, finishing up some electrical then I need to drop the supercharged engine and 6MT into it and button everything up. Then I need to tune the Hydra and it will be just in time to put it back in the garage for the winter. Then in the spring I get to pull it back out and finish the suspension with the coilovers and then have some fun playing with it.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireiron View Post
I havn't driven it yet, finishing up some electrical then I need to drop the supercharged engine and 6MT into it and button everything up. Then I need to tune the Hydra and it will be just in time to put it back in the garage for the winter. Then in the spring I get to pull it back out and finish the suspension with the coilovers and then have some fun playing with it.
See that's why it's handy having more then one cause the one you're modifying just ends up being a garage queen
93 Liquid Silver SVX - sti 6 speed with R180 diff, my05 sti steering wheel, sti alloy lateral links, 19x8.5 275/30 42mm offset front and 19x8.5 275/30 22mm offset on the rear, 6 pot brembo caliper with 355 rotors front, 2 pot brembos rear
95 bright red SVX
96 emerald pearl SVX about to revive
Old 11-11-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'E' View Post
See that's why it's handy having more then one cause the one you're modifying just ends up being a garage queen
Yea, I live in New England so she gets to hide inside during all the snow and salt and bad weather, then she can come out on the nice sunny days. It also means I can use a strictly summer high performance tire and not worry about having to drive in snowy freezing weather. I take the explorer out as a daily driver and not worry about weather or sliding in to guard rails or ditches with it, or other idiots sliding into me.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Yea, I live in New England so she gets to hide inside during all the snow and salt and bad weather, then she can come out on the nice sunny days. It also means I can use a strictly summer high performance tire and not worry about having to drive in snowy freezing weather. I take the explorer out as a daily driver and not worry about weather or sliding in to guard rails or ditches with it, or other idiots sliding into me.
Can understand that I lived in ebinburgh for 5 years and I couldn't believe how rusty cars get over there from salting roads, it's like some of the underbody/suspension of American cars look like they've been kept on the bottom of the sea
93 Liquid Silver SVX - sti 6 speed with R180 diff, my05 sti steering wheel, sti alloy lateral links, 19x8.5 275/30 42mm offset front and 19x8.5 275/30 22mm offset on the rear, 6 pot brembo caliper with 355 rotors front, 2 pot brembos rear
95 bright red SVX
Old 11-18-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I have the whiteline adjustables also. They are nice because you can dial in whatever camber you want to run. On subarus I like to start with -1.5 all around and work from there based on how it feels and acts.

Changing the trailing arms out won't make much difference. The OEM arms are quite a decent design and once you replace the trailing arm bushings it tightens things up significantly.

Adding diff bushings, outrigger bushings, and subframe bushings really locks everything down in the rear. I've gotten rid of all the rubber bushings in the rear. The only rubber bushings left in the car are the front control arm bushings.
Tireiron, when you say all you have left to swap out is the control arm bushings, have you replaced any of the bushings in the rear differential crossmember or the rear sub-frame? I too have intentions to replace each and every one with poly. Current i have purchased a set from a Poland company which include everything but the rear sub-frame bushing (at least they look like bushings). While dismantiling "my baby" for the rebuild I have taken measurements for each of these 'bushing' and have been talking with whiteline on replacements. Anyhow, just curious if those are included in what you have done, merely for personal reference.

THanks!~

[1992 LSl, Claret 160k] / [1992 LSl, Dark Teal #378 172k] / [1992 LSl, Claret 150k] / [1992 LSl, Liquid Silver donor] / [1992 LSl, Liquid Silver 4.44] / [1997 LSi, Polo green #089, 150k]

1992 Chevrolet Lumina Z34, white 35k miles
1992 Chevrolet Lumina Euro, charcoal grey >200k (first car)
1992 Chevrolet Lumina Euro, charcoal grey >200K (for sale)
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor
1994 GMC Jimmy S-15
Old 11-18-2012, 05:27 PM

Yes, I used whiteline inserts for the diff mount bushings and kartboy bushings at the 4 subframe and the 2 diff outrigger bushings. Here is the post I made on NASIOC in the Turn in Concepts SVX thread. Take a look, the trailing arm forward bushings from TiC take a good bit of modification to make work, but the polish kit may have ones for them. I don't know much about the polish kit as I have gone with alternatives.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...&postcount=255
Old 11-21-2012, 04:52 AM

Registered SVX

E, with those lateral links on there, have you thought of looking into the possibility of using a sway bar from a WRX or STI?
Old 11-21-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
E, with those lateral links on there, have you thought of looking into the possibility of using a sway bar from a WRX or STI?
yes i have, i think i have one kicking around in the garage but the the svx sway bar should be able to connect up to it, although there are bigger and better sti options available

Darin
95 bright red SVX
Old 11-21-2012, 07:28 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
yes i have, i think i have one kicking around in the garage but the the svx sway bar should be able to connect up to it, although there are bigger and better sti options available

Darin
I think it would be great to try it out for future reference. Just to see if it does fit and whatnot. I think the SVX sway bar is just a tad wider than the WRX variants. If you do give it a try let us know how it pans out and snap a few pics.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
I think it would be great to try it out for future reference. Just to see if it does fit and whatnot. I think the SVX sway bar is just a tad wider than the WRX variants. If you do give it a try let us know how it pans out and snap a few pics.
Ok went out into the garage found it and luckily my svx is up on car stands so I jumped under and lined it up and from what I can see it should fit, the sti bar has a lot of bends in it and the biggest one which clears the exhaust on the sti just clears the wheel well of the svx, so all good. I'll fit it up tomorrow and take some pics
95 bright red SVX
Old 11-23-2012, 07:04 AM

Okay, I guess the ones I am talking about are only accessible once you remove the entire rear sub frame from the vehicle. I have pictures somewhere ill try to dig up or take some more, but once the rear sub-frame is removed there are 4 points in which it is bolted to the frame, two of them are a pressed in sleeve made of metal (i believe the front points) and the larger diameter mounting point has a pressed in "bushing. " the other bushings I was referring to were the rear differential cross members bushings. The "15 min mod" found on here stiffens up the wear from the cushion plates in the rear cross members,but there is also a bushings that is pressed into each side of the cross members. I noticed from you pictures that you have not done the 15 min mod, most of us suggest you do

[1992 LSl, Claret 160k] / [1992 LSl, Dark Teal #378 172k] / [1992 LSl, Claret 150k] / [1992 LSl, Liquid Silver donor] / [1992 LSl, Liquid Silver 4.44] / [1997 LSi, Polo green #089, 150k]

1992 Chevrolet Lumina Z34, white 35k miles
1992 Chevrolet Lumina Euro, charcoal grey >200k (first car)
1992 Chevrolet Lumina Euro, charcoal grey >200K (for sale)
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor
1994 GMC Jimmy S-15
Old 11-23-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Claret View Post
Okay, I guess the ones I am talking about are only accessible once you remove the entire rear sub frame from the vehicle. I have pictures somewhere ill try to dig up or take some more, but once the rear sub-frame is removed there are 4 points in which it is bolted to the frame, two of them are a pressed in sleeve made of metal (i believe the front points) and the larger diameter mounting point has a pressed in "bushing. " the other bushings I was referring to were the rear differential cross members bushings. The "15 min mod" found on here stiffens up the wear from the cushion plates in the rear cross members,but there is also a bushings that is pressed into each side of the cross members. I noticed from you pictures that you have not done the 15 min mod, most of us suggest you do
I have kartboy poly bushings in place of the "15 minute mod" and in those 4 subframe mount locations.

These are in the 4 subframe mounts http://turninconcepts.com/product_in...roducts_id=627

These are in the 2 diff outrigger bushings (15 minute mod). There are actually 2 bushings on each side with this, one above and one below the OEM bushing. http://turninconcepts.com/product_in...roducts_id=186

And these are in the 2 rear diff bushings http://turninconcepts.com/product_in...roducts_id=629

My rear end is locked down, there will be no extra movement from any point back there anymore. And based on the impreza I've done this treatment to there really wont be anymore NVH either, all of that will come from the group N engine and tranny mounts and all the shifter bushings. It will be good NVH though, because it will be from a supercharger and 6MT.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:23 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Ok went out into the garage found it and luckily my svx is up on car stands so I jumped under and lined it up and from what I can see it should fit, the sti bar has a lot of bends in it and the biggest one which clears the exhaust on the sti just clears the wheel well of the svx, so all good. I'll fit it up tomorrow and take some pics
Have you had a chance to attempt this yet?