Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-27-2012, 10:14 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Time for a bunch of preventative maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Oy! You guys are trying to bankrupt me here!
It's fun to spend other people's money. :P
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 09-28-2012, 05:24 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckls View Post
I have a new to me bugeye wagon that I'm going to be enjoying from now on

I'm 50/50 on selling the svx or keeping it as a weekend car.
If you sell it, I will take you up on your charitable offer for a knock sensor!

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 09-28-2012, 07:28 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Quote:
Oy! You guys are trying to bankrupt me here!

I will probably spread this stuff out a little.
Rather than disassembling some of the same things multiple times and taking multiple weekends, maybe stockpile all the parts over the next few months and take one good weekend to do it all.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:37 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
Rather than disassembling some of the same things multiple times and taking multiple weekends, maybe stockpile all the parts over the next few months and take one good weekend to do it all.
I have been starting to stockpile the parts. Unfortunately, I am not as experienced at this stuff as a lot of you guys are. I think some of you sell yourselves short in terms of how much skill and knowledge you have obtained. I feel OK with putting a new stereo in but the timing belt...uh, no. This car is my daily driver so I need stuff done quickly and correctly. So I am not just going to get hit with parts cost but also with labor. Luckily, my mechanic is good, honest and fair. I would love to have OT do some, if not all, of this stuff but getting from upstate NY to WV is not a no-brainer. Still, I am considering it, assuming Tom has time.

But if that doesn't work out, I will probably have to split this stuff up and group things in a way that makes sense. For example, even I know that you want to do the timing belt and water pump at the same time. After reading this forum for two years I also know that the associated pullies and seals should be done, if necessary, at the same time. Since I am close to also neededing to flush the coolant, I'm guessing that would make sense to do it with the water pump. If I do the coolant lines, those too. Anything else on my list?

I don't think any of the other stuff needs to be done at the same time as the plugs, or vice-versa. It seems like that is an isolated job which can be added to other stuff but doesn't need to be. I would assume the same is true for the struts and mounts.

I like to do the brake fluid, fuel filter and PCV at the same time to keep them on the same schedule. Since the ATF is coming due for a drain and refill, I might as well lump that in with the others.

I'm not sure why I would want to combine the vacuum lines with any of these. My lines are in surprisingly good shape. I could see doing them as PM but not necessarily because I am doing any of the other stuff listed above. I would think this would be a separate job I would do, just because. Are the knock sensors easier with the intake manifold off? If so, maybe those should be done when I do the vac lines.

The seats I will do when I get them, which may not be until the spring.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 09-28-2012, 09:32 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
I'm not sure why I would want to combine the vacuum lines with any of these. My lines are in surprisingly good shape. I could see doing them as PM but not necessarily because I am doing any of the other stuff listed above. I would think this would be a separate job I would do, just because. Are the knock sensors easier with the intake manifold off? If so, maybe those should be done when I do the vac lines.
The knock sensors are very difficult with the intake mani on. One of them is accessible if you remove the alternator and have tiny hands and long fingers and are extremely careful not to break any vac lines. That would be the right side (front) knock sensor. The other one is near impossible without taking the intake mani off. I would also suggest taking the intake manifold off, but just shifting it to the side so you could get away with disconnecting just the bare minimum amount of stuff to just do the knock sensors.

Also the PCV is way easier with the mani off.

But if the vac lines are as good as you say, then might be better off leaving that all for later. But there is a very high likelihood that you will need a knock sensor or two and fresh vac lines in the next 50k miles or so.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 09-28-2012, 10:54 AM

Registered SVX

I feel your pain, no idea when the timing belt was last changed and i need to change my cracked radiator so i may as well do all the work at once since ill have everything out. Was going to install phenolic spacers but im already looking at a big chunk of change for these parts and they wont be here till next week if i order them today.

edit: i wasnt going to give the price but it shocked me. I'm doing all the valve cover stuff, full timing belts, water pump, pcv, radiator, and im getting it all at my parts guys cost, im gonna say about 650$ since were still waiting on a few things. think im gonna be sick.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.

Last edited by bishop; 09-28-2012 at 02:26 PM.