Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-27-2012, 06:03 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX
Full bushings replacement

Replacing bushings seems popular and smart. I tried searching a bit and discovered that the following bushings exist:

* Differential bushings
* Steering bushings

Does anyone know of a thread that lists all the bushings that should be replaced?
I'm ready to f...
Old 02-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Full bushings replacement

Do a search on poly bushings and you will get lots of results. Unfortunately some bushings are no longer available. Eg: you have to buy trailing arm to get the bushing.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:47 PM

Registered SVX

the company that makes the polish kit will custom make any bushings you can't find. i had them make me poly ones for the fifteen minute mod and they weren't that much more than the steering dampeners. i bought the whole kit but have yet to get them all installed.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:46 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Oh, that was not great news but I guess I can have them made.

Just to tell you where I stand: I know next to nothing about cars. A colleague promied to provide me with the Hayes book for SVX and I'll start doing things myself soon enough but, for now I need instructions / work requests for a mechanic.

So where are the bushings that need to replaced? Is this thoroughly and quickly documented in the service manual or will a mechanic spend hours reading a language he doesn't understand to figure out what to swap?

Cheers
I'm ready to f...
Old 02-28-2012, 08:08 AM

Registered SVX

you probably don't have to replace the bushings unless they are worn out. the poly bushings aren't necessary just a nice upgrade if you need them already. i think there are several mechanics on the site (including me) that could walk you through anything you have specific questions about.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:55 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92snowmachine View Post
you probably don't have to replace the bushings unless they are worn out. the poly bushings aren't necessary just a nice upgrade if you need them already. i think there are several mechanics on the site (including me) that could walk you through anything you have specific questions about.
Ok? But "everywhere" on this site people say "REPLACE THE BUSHINGS"

Of course, if I don't have to spend those money now, that's fine! God knows I have other things to spend them on (body treatment, engine).

How can I tell if a bushing is worn? How severely do worn bushes affect the car's performance, handling and safety?

Some good news, I apparently found the right shop for me. Recommended by a colleague who owns four Maserati (yet does most of the work himself on those cars). It might cost a bit but at least proper, caring professionals and enthusiasts will undertake all the work this time. Gradually I will get into things myself. And yes, I can change tires.

Sorry for being such a fop but living downtown in a city working with abstract things... you just aren't forced to know anything about cars and mechanics
I'm ready to f...
Old 02-28-2012, 12:24 PM

Registered SVX

you can tell if a bushing is bad if it has too much movement or makes noise. a lot of people (including myself) replace them to stiffen up the suspension by replacing the 20 year old rubber. unless yours are bad you could probably spend your money on something else but plan on doing it down the road.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:58 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Quote:
you can tell if a bushing is bad if it has too much movement or makes noise. a lot of people (including myself) replace them to stiffen up the suspension by replacing the 20 year old rubber. unless yours are bad you could probably spend your money on something else but plan on doing it down the road.
So if I decided to have it done now together with the bodywork, how many are they, where are they placed? Obviously between other things

Are we talking 20 pieces, 6 pieces, 40 pieces? Difficult to get to? I'm having some of the exhaust replaced as well as a brake pipe or two.. and we need to look for rust and possibly replace other things under there.. so maybe it's cheaper to do it now anyway?
I'm ready to f...
Old 02-28-2012, 01:12 PM

Registered SVX

there are 20 bushings in the kit plus two if you get the additional one for the 15 minute mod.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-1970-19...ht_1199wt_1272
Old 02-28-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
there are 20 bushings in the kit plus two if you get the additional one for the 15 minute mod.
Cool, I've always wanted a Mopar Dodge Carter 383 Choke Thermostat! Too bad the auction has already ended.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Quote:
I'm so sorry, I must have slept in class. There is a full kit?! From who?

Did you mean the 20 minute mod? I'm refering to SVXfiles.com.

Edit: Or both mods, perhaps?
I'm ready to f...

Last edited by jetboy; 02-28-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:24 PM

Registered SVX

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-SVX...ht_3568wt_1039
new link. was also sending a link to a customer and mixed up the 2. i bet he really wants poly bushings for his 1970 dodge.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Sorry for looking like a dork but super thanks for clearing this up.

For an SVX untrained person, how much time do you think the swap would take? The kit + additional for the 15 minute mod is like not really an expense.

I like the idea of getting a real poke up there just to see if there's any rust hidden somewhere. Harsh winter climate by the fjords and lot's of road salt where the car spent it's first 6 years just makes me want to be on the safe side anyway.. I might just be willing to those kinds of costs now instead of 3 years.

Suspension, body and rims are quite high up on the list since the rotors, bearings, transmission and engine were recently done quite well. I'm still building the "to-do" list there but it can all wait until I do the timing belt.
I'm ready to f...

Last edited by jetboy; 02-28-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX

If you look under the car and they need replacement you will probably see deformed rubber and open space between the rubber and the bracket which holds it. If they have never been replaced I'm sure they will be shot. They are replaced in pairs.

The most common ones replaced are the front control arm and rear sway bar. These can be done independently at any time.

The rear trailing arm bushings are also probably worn out. Those are the ones you can not buy from Subaru with out buying the whole arm assembly. If you are doing a rear wheel bearing replacement or shock replacement that would be an ideal time to address those ones. as most of the dis-assembly for those jobs is the same.

The rear differential bushing can also go, but this is less common. If you are dropping the diff and exhaust to get the gas tank out so you can replace the gas or brake lines then it would be an ideal time to replace the bushings.

Unless they are completely gone and the metal on metal friction has worn the metal to the point of fatigue I don't think it is a safety issue.

What you will find is that the bushings damp a lot of sound transmission to the passenger compartment, making for a much more comfortable drive. The rubber damp more sound than the poly.

The main thing replacing the bushings will do is take all the play out of the components they support. This will make the car much more responsive. Better steering feel, no slap when accelerating, firmer suspension giving better handling characteristics. The poly will give a firmer, tighter response.

Hope this helps.

Also there is a full manufacturer's SVX repair/service manual available on the site. It is well illustrated. I forget where the link is. Probably in the HOW To section.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.

Last edited by SVX_MY_BABY; 02-28-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Here you go Jetboy:

Strong Flex, ask for Chris, he will be more than willing to answer any question within this perspective.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.