Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Product and Service Reviews > Interior Car Care Products

Old 03-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Hater

Re: Leatherique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
I can feel a difference after the two applications . I will clean them and apply and cover. The temp. has dropped around here . I have to wait a few weeks for it to warm up again. I think it makes a bigger difference when the seat ( leather ) is stiffer than mine were. Does it make a difference ( is it better ) if you let it sit for weeks or if you do many apply and cleans. Wondering if the cleaning helps the reguvintor soak in better?
the Cleaner removes all the gunk that the Rejuv pulls out of the pores of the leather.

the trash bags will keep everything from drying out, so the seats stay soaked in the stuff while they "bake" in the sun.

here are the official instructions from Leatherique.com:

Step 1. Vacuum the surface of the upholstered piece or interior well or use a soft brush to remove large particles of dirt, paying particular attention to seams, folds, and cracks.

Step 2. Apply the Rejuvenator Oil liberally (about 4 oz. per seat) with your hands; massaging the oil well into all the surfaces and natural folds of the leather, this puts natural ingredients, not harsh cleaner, back into the leather and forces out dirt. You may also use a soft sea sponge, or a soft paint type brush. One of our Rolls Royce friends, Chuck Hull of Simi Valley, California suggests a spray bottle, which can be purchased at the local home center. Also apply the Rejuvenator Oil liberally nearer the stitched areas as the conditioner will be able to migrate laterally well into the hide. Park the car in the sun with the windows rolled up to create a “steam room” for as long as practical, several hours or a day. In cooler weather, or for long-term storage in a garage, cover the seats with plastic wrap, and “warm” with a hair dryer. Or one of our Ferrari friends, Paul Hammer, suggests covering seats with large plastic garbage bags to be able to sit in the car and move it if necessary. (Allow the oil to be absorbed into the fibrous side of the leather before putting the top down in a convertible.) Direct sun is the worst enemy of any automobile interior or home upholstery. Do not place home or office leather upholstery in direct sun. For “cardboard hard” leather, several applications will be necessary. Patience will be rewarded with good results.

Step 3. After the ph correct proteins and collagens from the Rejuvenator Oil have permeated back into the pours and fibers of the leather, strengthening and nourishing them, the surface may be tacky, sticky, gritty, or have a white haze. This is simply the dirt, grime, air pollution, perspiration, salts and other toxins that have floated out of the leather to the surface. Apply Prestine Clean by putting it in a Spray Bottle then wipe off with a SOFT lint free cloth. For tough dirt or vinyl or vinyl tops, brush the cleaner into the grain of the leather or vinyl with a soft bath brush or toothbrush. Let stand for a few minutes, usually by the time you are done with the next piece, and wipe the surface with a soft, damp cloth Rinse the soft cloth in warm clean water, ring dry, wipe again. Then, after all the dirt has been removed, gently buff to a luxurious finish with a clean, dry, soft cloth. Your car or upholstered leather piece will appreciate the “face lift” and will have the new leather smell restored. Prestine Clean will not remove the conditioner permeated into the leather. This process may be used on MB Tex vinyl areas to soften and condition. Even flexibility on rubber window trim can be maintained with Prestine Clean.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)

Last edited by Landshark; 03-28-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:34 AM

Registered SVX

Thanks. I did notice the seats are now sticky. I will clean reapply and cover them when temp. Rise back into the 70 s . Too cold now.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Put two coats on it so far. I know my seats are pretty stiff in places. The restore did a little bit to improve the worst parts, but did pretty good on the better areas. I am estimating that I will need 2-3 more applications, the weather turned cool again, but I hope to be able to do another few coats before Reading weekend. I am thinking that I may just target those very stiff areas till they equal out with the softer parts.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 04-18-2012, 07:44 PM

Registered SVX

I notice it is easier to soften the real hard stuff. I am going to follow your lead and do only the harder stuff only , til it catches up. I can't remember how soft the original was. Mine are getting softer, but not loose saggy soft, but very pliable. I am going to scrub mine clean and let them rest before I do the next coat.

Last edited by Conn SVX; 04-18-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

I have used over half the bottle so far mostly on the passenger seat. The real hard stuff is finally starting to soften a bit, but it is still a work in progress. The leather that was "not too bad to begin with" now feels amazing.

I would recommend to anyone that has leather in decent shape to purchase a kit and do a few treatments every so often, it will greatly improve the leather and ensure that your leather never gets really stiff like mine.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:14 AM

Registered SVX

How long are u letting it sit in the sun , and are you cleaning it off between application
Old 05-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

I let it sit all day with plastic over it. If it is hot it will absorb quicker and so I check it at some point and if absorbed, I will just put more on with out cleaning. I will clean it after I am done doing the current treatment. I usual give it one treatment on the weekend and have it all cleaned up and ready for Monday.
This particular seat is the worst one in the car so I have been concentrating on it. It is weird the right side of the seat bottom is soft and the left side is hard, the middle is pretty stiff too. It's like those pieces were made from a bad cow or something.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:40 AM

Registered SVX

I just did the rear seats with Leatherique. Now the leather was already in pretty good shape, but had a few black marks and scuffs that would not come out no matter what I tried.

I pulled the seats out, removed the headrests and used a spray bottle to douse the seats with the Leatherique treatment. I massaged the treatment into the leather with my hands and doused them again. The headrests were a little hard from the sun, I doused those and put them in plastic grocery bags.

I then covered each cushion with a 55 gal black trash bag, and tossed everything in my Volvo and lets them bake in the SoCal sun for 7 hours. With the warm interior and black trash bags the seats were very warm to the touch!

At the end of the day I sprayed the cleaner on, using the sprayer and wiped off the treatment. ALL of the dark marks, scuffs and slight discolorations in the leather came off instantly. I was really blown away. The seats looked like new. The headrests became a little more pliable and cleaned up to look nearly new.

I think the key is to have good leather to begin with... stained and marked up but not too sun damaged or cracked.

Untitled by dbarnblatt, on Flickr

Untitled by dbarnblatt, on Flickr

Last edited by dbarnblatt; 05-26-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: