Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 11-08-2011, 09:27 AM

Registered SVX
Re: suggestions for cars that are under $10,000?

a car this morning reminded me of another point about new cars. they eat tires. we have lots of customers with 2009 and up cars that had to replace the tires before 30k, which is not covered by warranty. have a nissan murano in the bay now with 45k that needs the second set and last week put new tires on a focus with 7k. it doesn't seem to be the tires because the same tires on older cars get around 60k.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:47 AM
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to LastSVXintheChi
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92snowmachine View Post
a car this morning reminded me of another point about new cars. they eat tires. we have lots of customers with 2009 and up cars that had to replace the tires before 30k, which is not covered by warranty. have a nissan murano in the bay now with 45k that needs the second set and last week put new tires on a focus with 7k. it doesn't seem to be the tires because the same tires on older cars get around 60k.
i will deff vouch for that one! my moms car eats them up like nobody's business....it doesnt help that it weighs over 5K but still so does my dads Grand Prix GXP and it doesnt weigh 5K

can you think of why they would go through tires so quick?

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 11-08-2011, 10:52 AM

Registered SVX

i'm not sure why but don't think it's a weight issue. my escalade (not to keep talking about my car) weighs 5600 with no gas and no one in it, the service records show the original tires lasted almost 80k and the next set 60k. with 4wd and a heavy vehicle getting that much out of tires there has to be another issue. especially the focus that wore out it's tires at 7k. it actually wore out both the front and rear. customer came in to get the scheduled rotation and they were already worn out.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:46 AM

Registered SVX

Could be the way the suspension is set up for handling purposes?
Old 11-08-2011, 12:33 PM

Registered SVX

i was thinking along similar lines. figured the suspension was set up some weird way that irks out another .5mpg or something like that. or possibly electric power steering operates differently.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:37 PM
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to LastSVXintheChi
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92snowmachine View Post
i was thinking along similar lines. figured the suspension was set up some weird way that irks out another .5mpg or something like that. or possibly electric power steering operates differently.
is it possible that worn suspension puts less pressure on tires that new suspension? as long as alignment is still good

cus mine is shot and i have had new tires for about 2 years and they dont look worn at all

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 11-08-2011, 12:40 PM

Registered SVX

worn suspension can't really change how much weight is put to the ground only the way it is distributed. this usually leads to abnormal tire wear. that is what i think is weird about the way new cars wear out tires. they are worn evenly across without any signs of cupping or feathered edges. i put new tires on the svx a couple years ago and they still have tire hair.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Hater

I just replaced the original Yoko Advans on the EVO at 9500 miles. They were badly worn, but they were basically a chewed bubblegum compound. Doesnt help that i drive it like i stole it, either.

I should do better with the Conti DWS's.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-09-2011, 02:40 AM

OEM tires are often molded shallower and with cheaper rubber compounds than the retail tires. This is so the Car maker can put a set of "$1000" tires on thier cars for as little money as possible. I've read that these OEM sales are often at a loss for the tire maker, but they do this so that Bob when his factory tires wear out goes back and buys the same brand/size thinking thats what he has to do.

We also are getting much better tire compounds. This means they can run a softer compound without highspeed/high heat safety issues. Softer means better traction in snow, wet, and dry. Yet more wear.

Last it seems that people are poor at choosing a proper tire design and compound for thier car. Including OEMS. The RE070's on the STi wear like iron if you drive normal and even hooning it are fairly long lasting. They trade noise and subfreezing performance for it. Highpowered cars will all do much better with "summer" tires as these resist wheel slip and wear less. The more sipes in the tread the more wear from burning out or skidding. So a 800 treadwear tire on say... A viper would last a fraction of the time of a proper 200 treadwear summer tire. The reverse can be true also. Driving a normal family car with ultra conservative alignment the ultra deep tread of the 800 rated tire will last longer than the 200 since the minimal wear per mile will be equal, yet the one tire will have 2 or even 3 times as much depth before being illegal to run.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:32 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

My friend's 370z ate through her factory tires in 14k and she does not drive aggressively.

I'm at 20k on my Z4's bridgestones and they'll probably need replacement by 30k.

Cars aren't made like they used to be. I personally feel that all the new stuff is really meant to be leased and not kept for the long term since repairs out of warranty are much higher than the older cars.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 11-09-2011, 08:19 AM

Registered SVX

Talk about expensive to service. Get this one. My wife has a 2001 BMW X5 3.0, and she wanted the front plastic smoked bug deflector and the window rain guards. I bought them on ebay from a BMW dealer for $195 shipped. Anyway seeing that she works next to a BMW dealer and there always asking her if she wants her car detailed, (No Thanks, I do it for her) I said to her, ask them how much they charge to have the front bug deflector and four window rainguards installed. She tell me $700, I said you must mean $70, she said no, that price is for the parts and the install, so there bascially gonna charge $500 to install a bug deflector with five or six screws and pop on some window guards. Thats the biggest rip off I ever heard. I will do it myself when I have the time.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:20 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX92-97 View Post
Talk about expensive to service. Get this one. My wife has a 2001 BMW X5 3.0, and she wanted the front plastic smoked bug deflector and the window rain guards. I bought them on ebay from a BMW dealer for $195 shipped. Anyway seeing that she works next to a BMW dealer and there always asking her if she wants her car detailed, (No Thanks, I do it for her) I said to her, ask them how much they charge to have the front bug deflector and four window rainguards installed. She tell me $700, I said you must mean $70, she said no, that price is for the parts and the install, so there bascially gonna charge $500 to install a bug deflector with five or six screws and pop on some window guards. Thats the biggest rip off I ever heard. I will do it myself when I have the time.
they really get you with those. ask them how much a window regulator costs. i do a lot without even replacing the regulator because the actual issue is the sheet metal on the inside of the door is so thin the regulator rips right out of it. most common symptom is the passenger window goes down too far and gets stuck under the trim where it won't come up. a few big washers to hold the regulator will fix it for less than a dollar. dealer out hear charges $600-800 depending how much of a sucker you look like.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
I just replaced the original Yoko Advans on the EVO at 9500 miles. They were badly worn, but they were basically a chewed bubblegum compound. Doesnt help that i drive it like i stole it, either.

I should do better with the Conti DWS's.
I just replaced the Conti DWSs on my S8. They lasted about 40k miles and probably had another 10k left when I replaced them. Great, GREAT tires. The only reason i went with Pirellis when i replaced them was because the contis were on backorder and winter is coming.
2001 Audi S8
Old 11-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT6Wagon View Post
OEM tires are often molded shallower and with cheaper rubber compounds than the retail tires.
Where did you get this information? I'd be interested to know what manufacturers do this. I could see it being done from a rubber compound aspect to save money with a cheaper compound, but the cost and complexity of tooling to make 2 different tread depths for the same tire does not add up.

It's absolutely not true at the tire company I work at. The OEM's are made identically to the replacement market tires. The OEM's have the strictest tolerances for uniformity (balance, vlcc, conicity, etc. ) An OEM market tire is held to a higher standard (center cut from normal production) to encourage customers to be repeat customers.
Making your OEM tire a crappy tire in relation to the replacement is only going to make you lose customer loyalty.

Some more interesting information: OEM is not where we make money. The replacement market is. When choosing between the many development contracts for OEM each year the replacement market is a huge consideration. Customer loyalty and demographic as it pertains to the type/class of car being purchased is also a major factor when choosing which contract to bid on. For example, why would you spend a bunch of R&D money on a great tire for a kia rio when you know the customer is going to put on a cheap set of chinese tires as soon as the OE's are worn to the threads. You spend the money on a BMW where you can be pretty sure the owner isn't going to downgrade to a cheaper brand when the time comes. You definitely don't put an inferior tire on the OEM or you are digging your own grave.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:48 PM

Registered SVX

what company do you work for if you don't mind me asking?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: