Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2002, 06:58 PM

Cavilers and GM nuts

Hey there Guys
Wow what a thread.. Thank you mike for locking things down.
Cavy are not bad cars.. Most have done very well, and Still look good.. GM cars can be beaten with a stick and still keep ticking.
Neon's on the other hand..... hmm IF Barbie and Ken had a REAL car, a Neon seems fitting for them. That's a joke for all those in need of a breather.. I cant' help but think of Grape ape when I see a Neon... THe purple ones were like Big rolling grapes. It was Funny.. Well, I thought so...

THe NEon had it's POS days and there are plenty of ppl who still think they are POS... Like me.... However for Cheap, reliablilty ( your mileage may vary) to get you fromt point A to B then back. Um it all works Right.. Personally I like GM products...

THe neon was like the OLD K car .... Chrysler is always in need of money. Something cheap, small, compact, Disposable.. LIKE Emachines.. Cars are NO longer built to LAST 10 plus years. IF you get 100k, that's GOOD... Real GOOD.

HOwever IF C$SH wants to spend his money on one, is FINE with me. I would never talk down to him for doing so. I think that's called FREE will..

THere is no need to call other members name. Cause Solar's correct... In person you might not be so bold, OR maybe you would which is even worse.

Dude, go pull your pud or something to release some anger. Get a Boyfriend/girlfriend whatever........
Buy another Neon.

I think BOTH the Neon and Cavy can take a Beating and keep on ticking. At least from the ones I've seen.. the Word Beaten doesn't even dent the surface. One of my best friends bought a Chavy... Lord this girl is HARD on cars... Harder on cars then any of you can think.. SHe has kids, so that gives an idea..
This car had been beaten like an ugly step child, and still IT kept on going and going and going and going... I forget what killed it..
MY friend..
it had an owner that NEver changed the oil, didn't know what filters were. IT was ALL about just put gas in and GO.........

You should've seen the tires............

But that GM cavy served Her well... That was ALL that mattered.
Now I've spoken.......
svx1999

Greensvx you got Good taste in other cars too, besides , well U know.. Subaru's...
Old 09-08-2002, 11:54 AM
Ca$h

From my experience the only people who have cavaliers are high school dropouts or white trash. Period. Justify them all they want, they still have horrible interiors, they're slow, and they don't handle worth snot. And... you know what the ultimate cavalier mod is?

A big freaking CHEVY symbol in the back window.

Claassssss-yyyyyy.

- Ca$h
Old 09-08-2002, 01:29 PM
I_Alcyone_I

you forgot about the 4 point racing harness.
Old 09-08-2002, 03:04 PM
Hater

<<From my experience the only people who have cavaliers are high school dropouts or white trash>>

are you calling my wife white trash? - she graduated high school and drives a Cavalier. pretty snooty from someone who loves Neons, which are quite a few rungs below Cavaliers on the quality control ladder. its really hard to believe you're 21, Ca$h. you seem to still have high school mentality.

<<Claassssss-yyyyyy.

- Ca$h>>

so you've set the standard. jeez...

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 09-08-2002, 05:53 PM
Green1995SVX

Enough guys, PLEASE.

Mike
Old 09-08-2002, 10:11 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
I love to join these arguments, but look, we need to keep it business-like. If we're going to argue about cars, great. With the knowledge i have of GM vehicles i can frustrate just about any Ford or Chrysler lover, but i will never attack them personally. No matter what. So i will say this, i will join this argument - but if anyone resorts to personal insults cause they can't think of anything enriching or useful to say, then im outta here.

I think that's what Mike is looking for here, a good clean fight, then maybe he won't shut us down.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:28 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Now to relate the topic.

Ca$h - you have managed to claim that just about all of the most reputable names in the car rating/testing business are crazy, or stupid, or they messed up, cause they all thought the neon was less than it should be. Perhaps trying to get some real evidence on your side may help you? Just a thought. I have nothing against you (so far), i just don't agree with your opinion of cars.

You have constantly called the Cavalier a "white trash" car. Try driving through a trailer park, keep track of the cars you see. OLDSMOBILE. They're everywhere. Why? Cause they're cheap and reliable. They're the only cars these people could afford that they could rely on. Chevys are pricier, even at that age. Pontiacs are even more pricey. Fords have all rusted out by that age, and Chrysler had nothing more than a minivan and a K-car at that time. I rarely see any cavaliers in a trailer park. Most of them are in high school parking lots with pink fuzzy steering wheel covers. Same goes for Sunfires and F*ckuses. You know where i see alot of Neons? Highway shoulders. I always say HI when i go by (recall 1995 ad campaign).

Perhaps you could provide some insight into a question that i have had for some time...how come just about every Neon i see has front fender damage?! Do those things have magnets in them that make them attracted to other cars?

And finally, the Cavalier Technic is being released in August 2003 "but it will most likely not be called 'Technic'" (Car and Driver, May 2002 issue)
Old 09-08-2002, 11:21 PM
Green1995SVX

Kevin is correct. A turbo ecotec cavalier is due very soon. GM also has made available a supercharger kit for the older 2.4 "TC" engine.

I must say I saw a kick-ace neon at a show today. Very nice car. Pic attached.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1010020.jpg (117.8 KB, 112 views)
Old 09-08-2002, 11:44 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Why are we doing this over and over again? Do we ever learn? If someone want to check out this board and with us argueing like idiots with our heads chopped off, it looks bad. Real bad. SVX is a nice classy car. Let's keep the topics and conversations that way too ok. I quit the yahoo because of the message 40 error. I hate to get away from this because of dumb useless arguments. I want to see nice posts and all i see for the past couple of weeks has been attacks (both personal and non personal) left right and center. I know I caused some there. I am only human. Sorry. But don't you think we took it too far?

*walks off from the computer*

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 09-09-2002, 01:20 AM

hmmmmm

THis is not good... More slinging...
These are not very becoming qualities.
OH, well..

ON a brighter and more fun note. Subaru , GM use some interesting electricals.. WITh so many computers running the various operations.
Gm seems to have paved a neat path of an interesting arrangement with the body control units in the cadilac line. THe whole active suspension deal is nothing new.. Just sorta cool it's there.
I heard the rumor of the WRX"s having Cheat codes, that when entered would possibly release more power.. I don't know if it's true.. Rumors, are what they are. Seems there are a number of cars that CAN be Tinkered with..

anyhow happy drive'n.
svx1999
Old 09-09-2002, 06:04 AM
Hater

hey what are those cheat codes for the WRX? do you need to hook up your PS2 gamepad to the car to enter them? i may be getting the WRX today, and my wife has already warned me about modifying the car.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 09-09-2002, 06:37 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
my wife has already warned me about modifying the car.
What she doesn't know under the hood, should not concern her right
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 09-09-2002, 10:09 AM
Ca$h

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
<<From my experience the only people who have cavaliers are high school dropouts or white trash>>

are you calling my wife white trash?
Um. Can you read? I said "From my experience", meaning, where I live, and hte people I see....

so unless I've 'experienced' your wife, no, I am not calling your wife white trash.

Comprehende?

- Ca$h
Old 09-09-2002, 10:40 AM
Ca$h

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
Now to relate the topic.

Ca$h - you have managed to claim that just about all of the most reputable names in the car rating/testing business are crazy, or stupid, or they messed up, cause they all thought the neon was less than it should be. Perhaps trying to get some real evidence on your side may help you? Just a thought. I have nothing against you (so far), i just don't agree with your opinion of cars.
Eh. Not exactly. Here's my problem with reviews of the neon, like I've already stated. When the neon was initially introduced it had headgasket problems. This problem was CURED by 1998. So why is the neon still listed as unreliable? Why is it, that when talking to literally hundreds of neon enthusiasts for the past 3 years, I do not hear of such things as 'electrical problems' (never) or transmission problems or engine problems? The last neon convention, we had a guy come from WASHINGTON STATE to Rockford IL. He's come for the past 3 years. He hasn't had any problems. Shawn Henry, came up from texas (with a bunch of other texans) with a stage 3 turbo running 12 lbs of boost. Guess what? No problems. Ran a 12.55 when he got to the track too. It was cool. So here's my beef. I am IN the neon community. I know more about neons than most people, I've been into them for over 3 years (and not into them ricer style), and I KNOW the neons shortcomings (interior, ride quality) and its highlights (cost, speed, handling, reliablity).... so when a magazine calls them UNRELIABLE, I ask the same question you ask me: What proof do they have? Neons ONLY real fault was fixed over 5 years ago, and they've been reliable ever since. Another thing I can claim that CR can't is that I've been enveloped in neon performance for 3+years. The 0-60 times stated by most automags are horrible. I dont know what they're doing wrong, but I will bring up CR 'test'. They claimed a neon with the dohc engine and 5 spd did 0-60 in 8.9 seconds. Um. WHAT?! Most 5 spds can do 0-60 in about 7.5. When asked, they responded that they didnt puch the gas pedal down all the way. WTF? Why? Because they hate neons. But yes, since you keep begging for 'facts', I just searched the net and found THIS: Enjoy:

http://neon.atsweb.net/c&dpages.html

0-60 in 7.5 seconds, which is pretty damn quick for a 4 banger FWDriver, from the factory. Another thing I can tell you from EXPERIENCE is about street racing. Neons are sleepers. Why? Like most people here, the general public hates neons for some reason. They think they are all girl cars, they're all slow, and they're all stupid. Well. Wake up. I have a base model SOHC 5 spd, and you'd be surprised at the cars I've destroyed street racing (no speeches please, I did this years ago, I don't really do it anymore.... much. ;P), but EVERY CAVALIER I raced has been beaten, Civics? HA. I laugh in the face of their 9k redlines yet they still have no torque to get their cars moving. What cars were beaten by a hair but still beaten? Well. Integras. Easy. The surprising victory? An integra GSR. I was with a friend, and either the GSR didn't know how to drive, or the GSR is a bit overrated, but I beat him. A Mitsubishi 3000GT. Yep. No problem. Why? It wasnt a VR4. Their heavy curb weight with only 170hp = pretty horrible power/weight ratio. And finally, I'll claim this: You don't see cavaliers winning autocross. You don't see cavaliers going drag racing in the import leagues and being competitive, yet you DO see neons. Mopar has always made pocket rockets (omni glhs, omni charger, shelby daytona, hell, even the demon, dart, etc etc), and they obviously used their experience when making the neon.

Quote:
You have constantly called the Cavalier a "white trash" car. Try driving through a trailer park, keep track of the cars you see. OLDSMOBILE. They're everywhere.
Yeah, those are everywhere too. However, like I said, in MY experience, which specifically deals with Madison, WI, white trash is specifically associated with CHEVY. From driving rusted out bondo'd camaros (with a huge chevy sticker), to blazers (with a huge chevy sticker), to crappy cavaliers (with a huge chevy sticker). One of my favorite stories was pulling up next to a cavalier with a cavalier windshield banner, a huge chevy sticker in the back window, and 'the heartbeat of america' slathered down its sides, then asking the driver what kind of car it was. When she told me it was a cavalier, I asked "Woah, who makes it? Ford?" she replied "Chevy" at which point I yelled "GEE COULDNT FREAKING TELL!!!!!" and sped off. I have more of those type of stories, and oddly enough, they ALL deal with cavaliers. :0

Quote:
(recall 1995 ad campaign).
Also recall that they later changed it to 'bye'. Why? Please test drive a 5 spd neon and find out.

Like I said, I've been into neons for years. I'm used to people's attitude about them, and I've gotten damn good at proving them wrong. Over at MacNN, everyone knows that I drove a neon. And I'd say 90% of them hated neons. I'd like to share one story with you: A couple youngins (17-19) who completely bashed the neon, saying preludes are awesome, bla bla bla. Well....eh... eventually it seems someone gave them a RIDE in a neon. And they started this topic:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=117006

And just in case you missed this link, read this too:

http://neon.atsweb.net/c&dpages.html

- Ca$h
Old 09-09-2002, 11:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I was thinking about this over the weekend, and I don't think that the automotive press still lists the Neon as a 'bad used car' because they have anything against them. I think that the reason is this:

Sure, Chrysler may have fixed the head gasket problem. But what percentage of used Neons out there still have the old head gaskets in them? Does Chrysler replace these under the recall? I dunno. But I'm willing to bet that there are hundreds and thousands of used Neons out there with the original head gaskets in them. If these head gaskets blow, will Chrysler repair them, free of charge? Even then, will the dealer be honest enough to do it?

I don't think it's an issue of a personal grudge against Neons, dood. I think as soon as the auto press decides that enough of those Neons are dead and buried, then they'll give the car its deserved rating.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE