SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2011, 10:52 AM

Re: Building it up only to let it go - those who've jumped ship. *LONG*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
It's not about the money. It's about the love.
From my vantage point it's totally about the money. As much as I love my cars I don't lavish them with attention (I like cars but am just not a fanatical "car guy"), and they're getting to the age where I'm constantly pondering whether or not to throw-in the towel before one needs head gaskets or a transmission. Adding the very real concern of looming parts scarcity only heightens the anxiety. I can't afford to spend thousands sprucing-up the old gals only to find there are no more ball joints in the Entire Known Universe.

So I look around and think about buying another principal mover (see "Saabaru" thread elsewhere) and keeping an SVX as a Sunday driver but the reality is, a garage queen of any description is a luxury. To me, anyway. Whatever I own will be driven.

dcb
Old 08-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX

Another point I've seen bought up which I agree with; the SVX is probably the perfect weekend car at this point, but I just don't have room for a weekend car. That's pretty much where I'm at. I probably could afford to keep the car going, but I just don't have room in my life or garage for a weekend car. I have a motorbike for the weekends

Really people have a multitude of reasons why they are jumping ship, but there seems to be a lot of commonality here. I have really loved the SVX, and loved my time with all of my SVXi, but really I and I suspect many others here are just at the point where the SVX is no longer a reliable daily driver, and that's really all we need.

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:11 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse

Its too slow
A different generation of owners has moved in
Money is short
lives change.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 08-16-2011, 08:13 PM

Registered SVX

IMHO Lets start by saying I am over 60 and I may only have 7 or 8 more great driving years left in me. that said I want to drive what I want . I could be happy driving a Honda civic getting terrific MPG and having a very dependable car . ( my sister in law has one that gets 40 MPH and she treats it like S$%^@ oil changes every 16,0000 miles ) it never breaks has 200,000 on it now . BUT it is boring. On the other hand I drive my SVX and I have kids 1/4 my age yell from the street corners . Hey man that is a cool car. The car is not cheap , but as said before a lot are not . I go to car shows and see cars that people have sunk $10,000 in to just the motor of their boring cars. (go to a car show see 10 1968 Mustangs and 8 396 Chevells ) This is the way I see it . If I live long enough to have one of the last 1,000 or even 300 of these SVX's on the planet I will be a happy camper . I think it is a great driving car and a great looking car. I thought that the first day I laid eyes on it in 1991 and drove it. Saw a guy 80 years young on Barret Jackson auction had a Fiat and it was one of only 500 made got 1.5 million for it .Can I add what is added to mine ?
Modifications: (dates are from the invoices for the parts if I have them)
5 Speed Swap Using a 2002 WRX 5 Speed Transmission with the 2003 3rd and 4th gears installed
STI Group N Transmission Mount
STI Group N Motor Mounts W/Modified Brackets
STI Group N Pitch Stop
$15 / 15 Minute Mod
Modified WRX Shifter Linkage
WRX MOMO Shift Knob )
Wheelskins Leather Shifter Boot
Modified WRX MT Pedal Set
WRX Master and Slave Clutch Cylinders
SS Clutch line
Exedy KSB03 WRX clutch
2003 WRX Flywheel
WRX MT Starter
1997 Legacy Outback MT Drive Shaft With SVX Carrier Bearing
Kartboy Shifter Bushings
Custom Fabricated Trany Cross Member
ECUtune Stage 1v5
MSD Stacker Ignition #7020
Accel Kool Blue Air Filter
Removed Intake Resonator
Stebro Stainless Steel Cat Back Exhaust System
KVR Cad Plated Cross-drilled Rotors
Motorsport Warehouse Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Motorsport Warehouse Silicon Radiator Hoses w/T-Bolt Clamps
Rotational Dynamics Ultra Lightweight Crankshaft pulley
PWR Aluminum Radiator (3/02/2005)
Energy Suspension Front and Rear Sway Bar Bushings
Bosh 110 Amp Alternator
Gentex Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror
Euro Reverse Indiglo Gauges (
WRX Aluminum Pedals
Auto Meter Lunar Tans Temp, Air/Fuel, and Volts Gauges
Carbon Fiber Hood With Scoop ) and lifters (lifters are getting weak)
Carbon Fiber Fuel Door
1997 Model Year Grill ()
JDM Alcyone Clear Corners
JDM Alcyone Rear Panel
Delta Speed Front Spoilers (replicas,
Red Powder Coated Calipers (where rebuild when painted)
6000K HID low beams
Street Glow 100 Watt high beams
PIAA Ion Crystal 85 Watt fog Lights
PIAA 1156 Xtreme White Back up Lights
PIAA 1157 Xtreme White Brake Lights
LED Rear Side Marker Bulbs
LED Dome Light Bulb
Street Glow Blue Neons Under Dash and seats (front ones done seem to work

Last edited by Conn SVX; 08-17-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:49 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

For as long as our society remains stable, I will own and drive an SVX.
It is a WONDERFUL automobile!
I enjoy (almost) every drive.
Just the feel of our leather steering wheel makes me feel good about the car.
When I take a second to slow down and think about it.
In the last year or so several special people have made a finantial commitment to their favorite car.
Henry R. has gotten a full paintjob, a 4.44 upgrade, exhaust brakes , everything!
Cramel M. got a full paintjob, a full custom leather interior, custom stereo, Nevin rear bar, HIDs, the list goes on!
Another gentleman, Steve R. will be picking up his actual 43,480 mile 95 Polo, THIS Sunday. With a fresh paintjob, fresh powder coated wheels, a go over restoration.
And look at Freeman!
Custom exhaust, coilovers, custom radiator, Class Glass hood with a scoop, HIDs, again , the list goes on!
John H.
Whatever it takes, whatever it needs!
Ron M. Fix it! I want to keep it and drive it!
Harry N. Coil overs, custom exhaust, ss lines, 4.44s, new engine, whatever it needs!
Alan M. "Do whatever it needs!"
Kirill B. Full engine build, 6 speed, custom exhaust, stand alone, custom exhaust, race clutch.
Marissa R, engine build from hell!n On her own!
Rebecca C. Transmissions, all aluminum radiators, wheelbearings, brakes batteries
Nate W. transmissions fwd to AWD upgrades, manual transmission upgrades.
I can go on!
How about this; EARL!
There is a commited man...something something

There a LOT of dedicated people who LOVE their SVX, and will stand by Her in good times, and in bad.
Its a commitment.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 08-16-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:46 AM

Registered SVX

I plan to stay comitted to the SVX
Theres a reason I still kept lots of spares from the SVX I wrecked.
I try hold onto as much as possable. clips, window, doors etc.
Especially for a rare car that is only going to get rarer.
Once I finish selling off a couple of cars I will go and try to find a SVX with 4WS.
Tidy it up and work on it when I got time.
Take it out on my days off etc.
I wanted a svx ever since I first saw one.
And I would love to own another one.
I've Missed driving them.
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 08-17-2011, 07:33 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Look at my signature, enough said...
I've been asked, by many, especially over the last 6-9 months how I don't get tired of driving, fixing, picking them up, putting them back on the road, whatever. And, at moments, I've had thoughts of stopping, and selling all but my silver basically. Typically, its random, and no reason. But most of the time I enjoy working on them, love being able to go and pick one up and put some time and effort and put it back on the road. Hell, I just paid $530 to get one out of a junkyard where harnesses were cut, no engine, ECU or dash harness and the interior strewn about. I've paid less than that amount for over half of the SVXi in my signature including one I paid $300 for that only needed a timing belt as it turned out and $500 for one I flew down to Florida for and drove back 2000 miles with a detour to Old Tom's for an AutoX meet. I've found and made some great deals, gotten pretty lucky, and most importantly, things have worked out that I've gotten A TON of help, advice and mostly, ENCOURAGEMENT by many on this forum as well as people met in person.
I've only been in "the game" for 3 years now, almost 3 yrs exactly in fact. I bought my silver on 8/28/08 and went through hell and back from the start. Brought it home on a trailer just because I wasn't trusting driving a car with possibly transmission issues over 300 miles after just picking it up. Got it home, fixed an exhaust leak only to find there is piston slap. That was a very depressing week or 2 for me. I had contemplated throwing it up for sale, thinking the body and interior are in great shape, lowish miles and could maybe get lucky and pass the engine noise off as lifter tick. Then, come Thanksgiving day of 08, driving home from Green Bay, about 10 miles from home, the high clutch let go and I was left with 1st and 2nd gears. Again, not very happy and extremely depressed. Thought long and hard, knew I wouldn't get near enough what I needed selling, so made the best of it. Knew that 1st and 2nd would probably never go away and just used it as a city car mostly and very short (20 miles tops) highway runs going 55mph and just used one of my parents cars if I needed to go anywhere long distance.

The story goes on from there. Used the Durango and had my Dad came with to Reading 10 since he was laid off. Got the ebony parts car in Feb 09 and that's all I had until Jan '10 when I picked up the laguna. Later on a trip to pick up another, got the parts to fix the laguna and had that on the road for 2 weeks before taking it to Reading 11. Just kept finding more and more as time continued, eventually finally got a 4.44 trans from a pick n pull in Sept '10 for the silver.

I figured up, I've driven about 40k miles in just the last 18 months in SVX related "adventures". Whether it be picking one up, picking up parts, going to a meet, whatever. I have numerous times told and reassured others that I was going to be done picking more up until I got rid of some, yet have continued to pick up more. I have some that I need to fix and sell, but end up not having time to fix them because I find another to buy and pick up.

I could never be thankful enough for the help and advice from others both in person, on the forums, and even from the archives from people that are no longer active. I've learned a ton and had a great time and can only hope that it will continue and I won't get "burnt out" as it seems others have.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:17 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

I'm sure Nate and TJ (httrd), along with my local Subarati, can attest to my remaining spirit, as I'm still accumulating bits 'n' pieces for the Silver for its longevity, performance and refinement.

The autocrosser in me sure did enjoy that boosted GC, though... Trick is, it would take about $13k to do it the way I'd like.

I was having a similar discussion with our SCCA region's RE last night about his Lotus. I forget which model it is because there are what, four based on the same general platform right now? It was the "first year back" one. He told me about how little he drives it and how he's been waffling on selling it, and that for the remaining events this season, he's going to autocross it rather than his kart (flatbed towing it to the track), although if it's raining he'd drive the kart on rain tires instead!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm

I'm not going anywhere!
Old 08-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Im not going anywhere either, but reality has set in and I am not pursuing anything more to my car except to replace what breaks. Whenever my camber plates finally get in, they will be the last addition to the car. I am going to start pursuing other more reliable forms of track/ street fun and keep the SVX just as an auto-x machine (if my driving ever gets closer to par than Tiger Woods.

Speaking of driving, for everyone who dislikes the SVX from a competitve standpoint... How many GOOD drivers have ever raced an SVX? I have seen less than 5 good/serious drivers on this forum for the entire time I have been on here. Chike, Ben/Dave, and a couple others that are slipping my mind here. I have only auto-x'd my various SVX'i a total of maybe 8-10 times and I dont think YT auto-x'd or tracked his silver very much either. So there are two of the most built up SVX's ever and neither have ever been in the hands of a very talented driver. Example: I was auto-xing my silver car (same setup as the pearl black one in my signature) with a Miata club here in MA. The fastest times of the day (on R compounds) were 47.xxx seconds. My times started at 66 seconds (I was on street tires) and by the end of the day I had a best time of 58 seconds (clean). I then let someone else take my car out and their first run they did a 56 and second run they did a 54. After pulling the car in they commented that if they had more time that they thought they could have broken into the 52 second range. Up to that point I had chalked my times up to the fact that I had a heavy car at an auto-x run by a Miata club (course layout was like a go cart track). Then after seeing the other person drive my car, I realized I just have a lot of seat time to go before I can even begin to get my car to where it is physically capable of being.

I hate to be the person that says it, but the SVX comunity is plagued by a lack of $$ and a lack of driving ability.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 08-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
(My son's rally driving instructor told him that)

My slow car is staying right where it is in the queen's spot.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 08-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
Speaking of driving, for everyone who dislikes the SVX from a competitve standpoint... How many GOOD drivers have ever raced an SVX? I have seen less than 5 good/serious drivers on this forum for the entire time I have been on here. Chike, Ben/Dave, and a couple others that are slipping my mind here. I have only auto-x'd my various SVX'i a total of maybe 8-10 times and I dont think YT auto-x'd or tracked his silver very much either. So there are two of the most built up SVX's ever and neither have ever been in the hands of a very talented driver.
Autocrossing since 2004, I've got over 50 race days in SVXi, and the Silver's been in every one since last August (registration delay cost me the July event!) Does that count?
Old 08-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Formerly known as henryrace@hotma

Wouldn't make sense to get rid of my SVX. Wouoldn't get much for a trade in or sale especially if you go by NADA or Blue book. In 2005 paid $3500 for my 92 with less than 56K miles on it. I've put more than twice that amount into it since. A few upgrades here and there and replacements:

- 4.44 Transmission Swap
- Custom Exhaust
- Koni inserts & GC Springs
- Mustang Rims 17”
- R -134A AC swap over
- Tinted Windows
- Stereo Upgrade, All speakers and Head unit
- Full Paint Job
- Modified Front Engine Mount
- Modified Rear Differential Mounts
- 20 minute mod
- 15 minute mod
- Power Steering Pump
- Rebuilt Power Steering Rack
89 Yamaha FJ1200
07 Yamaha FJR1300

"GO RAVENS"
Old 08-17-2011, 02:22 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
Autocrossing since 2004, I've got over 50 race days in SVXi, and the Silver's been in every one since last August (registration delay cost me the July event!) Does that count?
I will add you to the list then ...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 08-17-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwb3 View Post
It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow
Truer words were never spoken... Slow is smooth and smooth is fast...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5