How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 01:58 PM
Ca$h

Neons have 150hp. Z24 cavaliers have how much? the power to weight favors the neon. The suspension favors the neon. The price favors the neon. The ONLY reason to get a cavalier is if live in a trailer home and have a camaro as a lawn ornament.

- Ca$h
Old 09-05-2002, 03:17 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Ca$h
Neon. All the way. They're cheapest, they're ULTRA reliable, they freaking OWN in autocross (great suspension), they are faster than cavaliers, sunfires, focii, saturns, and even faster than almost ALL the import competition (The Civic SI will dust a neon from 60-100, but a neon will anally rape the civic to 60mph). Hell, the fact that neons dominated the 'factory showroom stock class' should say something.

- Ca$h
Look, I won't debate whether or not the Neon does well in autocrossing or other forms of SCCA racing. I know it does.

But as for the Neon being 'ultra reliable,' I'm gonna have to contest it. Since you're big on documentation and proof, ca$h (which I fully respect), here's mine.

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/...lder_id=113261

I apologize for the obscenely long link.

Please, if you have any proof that the Neon is 'ultra reliable,' I'd love to see it.

But (with the very few exceptions noted in this roundup) I don't think any American compact can hold a candle to Honda, Toyota or Subaru.

You can all have your j-bodies an Neons. If I want a compact, I want it for economy. GM and Chrysler don't even enter the picture, in my opinion.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-05-2002, 03:31 PM
Green1995SVX

Stock HP for the Z24 is 150. (discontinued in 2001)

Stock HP in all cavaliers is now 140hp.

Mike
Old 09-05-2002, 03:52 PM
I_Alcyone_I

they look exactly like the latest j body cavelier with a body kit. The people that stole them probobly didnt even know they were prototypes.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:57 PM
Green1995SVX

Both of the cars had custom supercharger systems on them, also, the cavalier had a custom widebody shell. There were many many other differences as well.

Mike
Old 09-05-2002, 04:44 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Urge to bring my Justy to SuperJusty status rising...rising...
Old 09-05-2002, 05:01 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
So, what other body types are there? J, F, N?

I love the F bodies.

Oh and bodies of girls
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 09-05-2002, 05:27 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Don't you mean the TOYOTA Cavailer:

http://www.geocities.com/toyota_cavalier/

Doesn't that just throw a small twist as to how we perceive quality among manufacturers?
Old 09-05-2002, 05:33 PM
Green1995SVX

The Cavalier was sold under the toyota name in Japanese markets. It had very strict quality control in comparison to the Chevy cavalier and Pontiac Sunfire. The Toyota models were still difficult to sell in Japan because the build quality was so poor.

Here are a pics of a couple JDM cavaliers we found when snooping around the GM facility in Lordstown, OH.

www.subarusvx.org/mike/toyotacav/

-Mike
Old 09-05-2002, 05:43 PM
Boone

Well Mike, I guess there are no limits to what people will do in cross branding their cars.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...=&postid=49950
Old 09-05-2002, 06:03 PM
alacrity024

Just a sort of "American Sport Compact Car" sidenote.. Has anyone seen the new Neon SRT-10? It actually looks pretty nice.. 220 turbocharged horses--albeit driving the front wheels--and a pretty nice body for a reasonable price. I heard the target was somewhere around 20k if they decide to go into production.. That sounds like a pretty good deal to me. As much as I hate to picture myself driving an American car (with the exception of a new Cobra Mustang, a Z06, or any Saleen product), I'm starting to think that if the current trends continue, my first new car may in fact be a domestic..

Oh well..

-Adam
Old 09-05-2002, 06:04 PM
alacrity024

Quote:
I guess there are no limits to what people will do in cross branding their cars.
Boone-

Did you ever see the Civic Del Sol that thought it was a Z3?

-a
Old 09-05-2002, 07:12 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
I have to say this is the first time i have ever heard ANYONE try to say that ANY chrysler product has even GOOD build quality. Chrysler has never been one to slump on performance, however they have been at the bottom of the list quality-wise for as long as i can remember. My brother's '69 camaro is much more solid even after 30 years than a brand new neon, or pretty much any other chrysler. They still have not remedied the head gasket problem. Go to Carpoint or Consumer reports sites and that is the number one problem listed for the Neon since it's inception. Add to that the problems with the new cooling system, and the notion of "ultra-reliable" really goes out the window.

Autocross racing is a bad example in this case, since the only thing Chrysler about the autocross neons is their body.

Performance-wise, here are some interesting facts. I checked Road & Track's "Road Test Summary" pages wondering if maybe the Neon IS faster than the Cavi. Here are the numbers for a 97 Neon (150hp) vs. a 97 Cavalier (150hp). These are from the Dec 1998 issue. The first number is 0-60 and the second is 1/4mi.

Neon 8.5/16.5
Cavalier 7.7/15.9

Unfortunately the only magazine i have past 1997 is Car & Driver and they don't bother to keep a running record of their tests. So i can't get newer figures. But then the only real difference would be in the Neon SRT (220hp), and that should really be compared to the Cavalier Technic (240hp) which isn't due out until next year.

The price is cheaper on the Neon, and as i said before, for good reason. One poster in this thread said something about the only reason to buy a cavalier is a trailer and something about a Camaro lawn ornament? Seems to me the only reason to buy a Neon is if you can't afford a Cavalier.

I would be glad to address overseas offerings, but they don't fit into the same class in my mind because they are significantly more expensive.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:23 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
I just noticed Seraph's question about the GM body designations...

J - Cavalier, Sunfire
N - Grand Am, Skylark, Alero, Malibu, Catera
W - Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, Regal
B - Caprice, Impala
F - Camaro, Firebird

Im not positive that all those are right, but im pretty sure.

Last edited by Shadow248; 09-05-2002 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:07 PM
Green1995SVX

The grand am, malibu, skylark, alero etc is the N body.

www.n-body.net

Mike
Closed Thread