How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-07-2011, 07:26 PM

Registered SVX
Decisions decisions...

Well it's that time again, having spent a good few K on various parts, bushings, bearings etc, now there's a intermittant engine knocking at low rpm (see tech question for anyone interested).

Now this is my 3rd SVX, it's got 170K miles on it's second tranny and 1st engine. I do love the car, there's nothing to match it.

I saw at one member who lost his engine at 178K ish, and since the originally tranny went at around 80K I'm living a bit on borrowed time, or maybe not?

I'm guessing it's going to need a new engine and probably a tranny rebuild soonish, and I hate waiting for the inevitable. So I need more information. What sort of $$ can I expect to pay for a engine rebuild and tranny rebuild?

Since I have mechanical abilities of a software engineer (i.e. I don't do hardware ) then it can't be a "hobby" car for me. Should I run it until it dies then fix it, or at that point part it out, or sell it ($4K ish or less) to someone that can take care of it into the 200,000 mile level.

I'm ok spending up to 5K to fix it up engine/trans but I fear thats not going to be enough...

Thanks for your insights.

Martin
Old 06-07-2011, 10:25 PM

Re: Decisions decisions...

a Quickie rebuild and reseal shouldn't be too expensive, double so if you can pull /replace the motor on your own. Bearings and rings should all be normal Subaru parts so even if the full SVX sets don't exist anymore shouldn't be a problem sourcing them. People here have said they still have the reseal kits, which have all the gaskets you need. Dunno if the Subaru ones have headgaskets, but those should still be in supply if they don't.

Frankly my own SVX is needing so much in repairs, I am thinking closely on doing a STi swap from a wrecked STi. Its not going to be anywhere as easy as it would be in any other legacy/impreza, but the STi coughs up a bunch of stuff I need to replace/rebuild on my SVX. Engine, trans, rear diff, hubs, brakes, etc, etc, etc.