Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2011, 04:37 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Re: Oil Filter delisted

Hi everyone, Let me point out that the size of the oil filter "can" does not tell you the amount or type of filter material used in any oil filter. Years ago it was pointed out the filter for four cylinder Subaru engines was bigger than the filter used for the six. Subaru said there was more filter material in the smaller "can". This meant more filtration for the smaller "looking" filter. If you have a 20 Gallon gas tank with five gallons of gas in it, it will not go as far as the same tank filled up with twenty gallons of gas. The engine mfg. is the guy that decides what filter to use on any engine. So after market filter mfg. must use those dimensions so their filters will at least fit that application. Only they know what is inside. For this reason I use OEM Subaru filters. Take care and happy filtering, BOBB
Old 08-22-2011, 05:20 PM

Registered SVX

if anyone is curious
NAPA/WIX filters are

Old 08-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Hi everyone, I failed to point out that SUBARU oem filters have been made by WIX. This may have changed as SUBARU has recalled its SUBARU branded WIX filters several times in the last few years. Take care, BOBB
Old 09-09-2011, 08:23 AM

Some time ago I read a nice comparison on oil filters...
Yes the Bosch filter and Mobil 1 is the same as the Purolator plus. Fram filters are pretty good when you get in to the higher lines like TG and EG.
Napa filters have long been made by Wix which is well known in the business.

I use Amsoil filters. last longer and have a low restriction on flow, yet filter down more contaminants... Their New Ea filter line I think are good for 25k. now IDK if I'd go that far on one filter, but that is what I've seen you can do, plus they have a dual bypass system they offer as well. 20 bucks a year to be a preferred customer gets you 25% off every order, when you break it down you pay less per quart that if you used Mobile 1. significantly less. then there is change it once a year I like and usually around 9k it's still honey brown and looking good. After that I was sold , so everything got changed.

now it was rumored these filters were also made by Wix but I never confirmed it. I'd certainly use their Trany fluid, seems to withstand the higher temps..

I've had good results and I'll go with most anything that improves, protects better and saves me money in the long run. and for the really interested they do have a very detailed oil analysis you can run.

just my 2 cents
SVX1999

Royal purple is good stuff too.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svx1999 View Post
Some time ago I read a nice comparison on oil filters...
Yes the Bosch filter and Mobil 1 is the same as the Purolator plus. Fram filters are pretty good when you get in to the higher lines like TG and EG.
Napa filters have long been made by Wix which is well known in the business.

I use Amsoil filters. last longer and have a low restriction on flow, yet filter down more contaminants... Their New Ea filter line I think are good for 25k. now IDK if I'd go that far on one filter, but that is what I've seen you can do, plus they have a dual bypass system they offer as well. 20 bucks a year to be a preferred customer gets you 25% off every order, when you break it down you pay less per quart that if you used Mobile 1. significantly less. then there is change it once a year I like and usually around 9k it's still honey brown and looking good. After that I was sold , so everything got changed.

now it was rumored these filters were also made by Wix but I never confirmed it. I'd certainly use their Trany fluid, seems to withstand the higher temps..

I've had good results and I'll go with most anything that improves, protects better and saves me money in the long run. and for the really interested they do have a very detailed oil analysis you can run.

just my 2 cents
SVX1999

Royal purple is good stuff too.
I have read very good stuff about the AMSOIL filters. I guess I didn't go that way because they didn't offer the filter in the larger size. But you have me thinking that their design might have good enough filtration and good enough capacity to enable the extended OCI. Once I burn through my Bosch and Purolator filters I may take a look at the cost breakdown on switching both cars to AMSOIL using that preferred customer discount. Thanks for that information.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 09-09-2011, 09:34 AM

Being part skeptic I started out with just the oil in the SVX.
I'd been using mobil 1.. and usually Frams top line filter... Like clock work at 3k or 3500. Sure enough it would be BLACK as night. When I switched over to Amsoil I did the same thing checked it at 3k, looked like the day I put it in. rechecked at nearly 9k and it was honey brown... Damn.. Proof.. The preferred customer discount is 20 bucks a year and they send you monthly stuff and the 20 to 25% off, it may be a bit more like 33%.. Not certain on the 33% unless I go look. They drop ship anywhere.. Just go to their website Amsoil.com.

My next test was to do a 2004 Buick V6, just oil and air filter.. um the mileage improvement doubled per tank. with Mixed driving. I was pretty impressed there.
it went from mid 200 per tank to the most I got was 410 on a tank. After the dealership flashed the rom with an Update Ironically the MPG went down.
but I was still getting around 360 a tank.

my next test car was a camero a friend had. which I knew he neglected and drove the crap out of. yet again nothing but positive results.. Same deal oil and filter and Air filter.

So in the end run, It was Well worth the 20 bucks and the break down on a yearly basis was far less. Enough to justify. with their others services and they have a long standing history, plus any dealership that gives you hell about extended drain.. Amsoil will send them legal notification. Then there's warranty if the engine fails due to a lubrication issue and you can prove you have followed their instructions. they will replace it. I just change it once a year. Sure they have 25k mile oil.. but I think when you get into sending in all the oil samples and labs they want.. you lose your savings margin.

So I know it works, saves me money in the long run, it's a superior product.
Plus since they have a home line of products. Since I had an oil furnace I used there stuff.. and I noticed an improvement there as well. I went a few months longer on a tank of heating oil. Just to give an example.
when I switched the Transmission fluid over, retail was like 130 to 140. I walked out the door paying about 88 bucks.. tranny fluid is also a long life, like 100k ( don't quote me I'm not positive on the mileage of that fluid.
out of pure curiosity, I dropped the pan on the tranny.. and I could still see a grease pen J in the pan and just the ever slight film of particulates. Filter screen was clean as a whistle to.

I like peace of mind. since our stuff runs hot and it stands up to the heat Far better, I just feel it's WELL worth it and less down time changing fluids.

They also have a fuel additive, so many ounces to tank I used it for a while and it kept things happy.. one bottle will last you a while.

Glad my rambling bit of information was helpful.
SVX1999

by the way guys, The wear data on Mobil One is the same as regular castrol.. or so the several race shops around the track in Charlotte, NC told me.. I'd figured they'd know given the engines they work with cost more than many newer cars.

On a side note I heard that Ford and GM both commissioned Amsoil to help them out with a little issue they were having with early engine failure due to lock up, and lube issues.. Amsoil came through, problem solved... So those are my experiences. I guess the strangest was I ran into a man with a Diesel RV.
Said he was a Fan of the product considering he got a 7 MPG increase and was using there dual Bypass system. Considering he had an easy 100K to 150k in that RV.. He was extremely happy about any improvement in MPG.

Sorry for the long post.. If you need any dealer numbers let me know. It helps the guy out that turned me on to it and is probably one of the most Honest mechanics I've met in a long time. I think there are only 4 true synthetic makers left, Amsoil, Motool, Red line, and I always forget the forth. Odd name. I 've heard good things about royal purple but it's very pricey and I'm only seen Blends... I'll stick with what I have been doing. seems to work

SVX 1999
Ryan~

great product for those who tend to FORGET to change oil to. We all have a relative like that.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:40 AM

Being part skeptic I started out with just the oil in the SVX.
I'd been using mobil 1.. and usually Frams top line filter... Like clock work at 3k or 3500. Sure enough it would be BLACK as night. When I switched over to Amsoil I did the same thing checked it at 3k, looked like the day I put it in. rechecked at nearly 9k and it was honey brown... Damn.. Proof.. The preferred customer discount is 20 bucks a year and they send you monthly stuff and the 20 to 25% off, it may be a bit more like 33%.. Not certain on the 33% unless I go look. They drop ship anywhere.. Just go to their website Amsoil.com.

My next test was to do a 2004 Buick V6, just oil and air filter.. um the mileage improvement doubled per tank. with Mixed driving. I was pretty impressed there.
it went from mid 200 per tank to the most I got was 410 on a tank. After the dealership flashed the rom with an Update Ironically the MPG went down.
but I was still getting around 360 a tank.

my next test car was a camero a friend had. which I knew he neglected and drove the crap out of. yet again nothing but positive results.. Same deal oil and filter and Air filter.

So in the end run, It was Well worth the 20 bucks and the break down on a yearly basis was far less. Enough to justify. with their others services and they have a long standing history, plus any dealership that gives you hell about extended drain.. Amsoil will send them legal notification. Then there's warranty if the engine fails due to a lubrication issue and you can prove you have followed their instructions. they will replace it. I just change it once a year. Sure they have 25k mile oil.. but I think when you get into sending in all the oil samples and labs they want.. you lose your savings margin.

So I know it works, saves me money in the long run, it's a superior product.
Plus since they have a home line of products. Since I had an oil furnace I used there stuff.. and I noticed an improvement there as well. I went a few months longer on a tank of heating oil. Just to give an example.
when I switched the Transmission fluid over, retail was like 130 to 140. I walked out the door paying about 88 bucks.. tranny fluid is also a long life, like 100k ( don't quote me I'm not positive on the mileage of that fluid.
out of pure curiosity, I dropped the pan on the tranny.. and I could still see a grease pen J in the pan and just the ever slight film of particulates. Filter screen was clean as a whistle to.

I like peace of mind. since our stuff runs hot and it stands up to the heat Far better, I just feel it's WELL worth it and less down time changing fluids.

They also have a fuel additive, so many ounces to tank I used it for a while and it kept things happy.. one bottle will last you a while.

Glad my rambling bit of information was helpful.
SVX1999

by the way guys, The wear data on Mobil One is the same as regular castrol.. or so the several race shops around the track in Charlotte, NC told me.. I'd figured they'd know given the engines they work with cost more than many newer cars.

On a side note I heard that Ford and GM both commissioned Amsoil to help them out with a little issue they were having with early engine failure due to lock up, and lube issues.. Amsoil came through, problem solved... So those are my experiences. I guess the strangest was I ran into a man with a Diesel RV.
Said he was a Fan of the product considering he got a 7 MPG increase and was using there dual Bypass system. Considering he had an easy 100K to 150k in that RV.. He was extremely happy about any improvement in MPG.

Sorry for the long post.. If you need any dealer numbers let me know. It helps the guy out that turned me on to it and is probably one of the most Honest mechanics I've met in a long time. I think there are only 4 true synthetic makers left, Amsoil, Motool, Red line, and I always forget the forth. Odd name. I 've heard good things about royal purple but it's very pricey and I'm only seen Blends... I'll stick with what I have been doing. seems to work

SVX 1999
Ryan~

great product for those who tend to FORGET to change oil to. We all have a relative like that.

my apologies for the Novel of a posting
Old 09-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

You have just about convinced me to stop by and see the guy at the end of my street with all the amsoil stickers. I think he sells it.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

For the oil and oil filter debate, keep in mind that AMSoil was the first full synthetic oil produced and was tested for years on the drag strip and off road trucks to prove that it worked before coming to the market. Prices are high, but IMO, well worth it.