How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-09-2011, 05:58 PM
So what's this, a vintage car?

Power Locks Not Working

So my power locks haven't worked for while now, figured it's finally time to do something about it. Not knowing how power locks actually work I don't even know where to begin.

They don't work either via remote or the lock button inside the car. I have noticed however when trying to lock via the interior button, I can hear a faint clicking.

I've checked all the related fuses, and even replace a few that seemed find just to be on the safe side, but no changes.

The only other wild card I can think of to mention is that my stock security system has always been a problem for the 6+ years I've had the car. At this point it flat out doesn't arm or disarm via the remote, although it will occasionally go off when I open the door (I guess it armed itself overnight? Spooky. ).

I only mention the alarm system because perhaps it's hijacking the power locks and preventing them from working properly?

Anyone have any experience with this or general knowledge of how the alarm and lock system are linked up that might be fouling everything up?

Thanks in advance!

Scott
Old 01-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Hi Mr. Penguin!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Power Locks Not Working

You can eliminate the security module as the issue by disconnecting it, and then jumpering across pins 14 and 15 (orange and orange with a green tracer on it) as those are the only wires in the door lock system that pass through the module. Mind you, these are colors and locations for a 1992, not sure if that changed or what year you have. I attached a screenshot of the door lock system for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg doorlocks.jpg (153.6 KB, 95 views)
Old 01-09-2011, 07:40 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

I'd start with the security module. The earlier ones are supposed to die kind of easily. What year is your car?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 01-09-2011, 09:54 PM

Wow, that was a really fast response, thanks guys!

Mine is a '94.

I'm glad to hear that the security module might be the culprit and am even more excited at the idea of finally getting that thing out of there.

If I'm recalling correctly, the module itself is hidden down under the passenger dash area, right?

And quick clarification on "jumper across pins 14 and 15", is there a fuse module or something I can get that will do that, or are we talking about some good ol' fashioned jerry rigging?
Old 01-10-2011, 06:10 AM
Hi Mr. Penguin!

Registered SVX

I was referring to pulling the connector and taking a short piece of wire and put it in one contact and then loop it around to the other.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:06 AM
Phil & Belha

I have a recurring power lock problem on one of my SVXes and it is always due to water in the lock motors. The rubber boot on the actuator arm splits and water running down the inside of the doors seeps into the lock motor.

This is how I fix it every time: Remove the lock, open up the black box, drain the water, spray with WD40 and put it all back together again.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 01-10-2011, 09:32 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sköttie P View Post
Wow, that was a really fast response, thanks guys!

Mine is a '94.

I'm glad to hear that the security module might be the culprit and am even more excited at the idea of finally getting that thing out of there.

If I'm recalling correctly, the module itself is hidden down under the passenger dash area, right?

And quick clarification on "jumper across pins 14 and 15", is there a fuse module or something I can get that will do that, or are we talking about some good ol' fashioned jerry rigging?
I think the 94 has the security module under the back dash some where.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:48 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

The 94+ have the module in the top panel of the trunk behind a panel that opens. Much easier to get to than the 92s...

Should be able to find one pretty cheap from a part out. A module from any year will work, the location changed, but the modules are interchangeable.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 01-12-2011, 02:52 AM

Registered SVX

As said, check both the security module as well as the actual lock cylinders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
The 94+ have the module in the top panel of the trunk behind a panel that opens. Much easier to get to than the 92s...

Should be able to find one pretty cheap from a part out. A module from any year will work, the location changed, but the modules are interchangeable.

It is not with all 94's, remember there were single airbag/auto belt 94's in the first part of the production run and the wiring and location of modules is in the same place as the 92 and 93's.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:36 AM

Registered SVX

So easy way to find out does your car have passenger side airbag? Auto seatbelts? If no auto belts and passenger side air bag its in the back.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
This is how I fix it every time: Remove the lock, open up the black box, drain the water, spray with WD40 and put it all back together again.
Is this inside the doors themselves, or is there a centralized box? Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the internal layout of these things. I've never been much of a DIY car-tinkerer until recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
So easy way to find out does your car have passenger side airbag? Auto seatbelts? If no auto belts and passenger side air bag its in the back.
Yes to the passenger airbag, no to the auto seatbelts.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Hi Mr. Penguin!

Registered SVX

He's referring to the power lock actuator in the door. I would recommend using white lithium grease, as it is much more 'clingy' and water resistant that WD-40, and it'll keep the water out a lot longer.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:25 PM

Excellent, I think I'm finally nearing the end of my naďve questions and I thank you all for the wonderful help and information so far!

For getting to the lock actuators, it looks like this might be the relevant How-To document for getting in there? http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53917
Old 01-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Hi Mr. Penguin!

Registered SVX

That one will do, yep.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Mechanically worthless Man : )

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
I have a recurring power lock problem on one of my SVXes and it is always due to water in the lock motors. The rubber boot on the actuator arm splits and water running down the inside of the doors seeps into the lock motor.

How do I get to the actuator; I have been trying to fix my passenger door forever; My driver side door locks/unlocks with my wireless but the passenger door requires manual operation and is often a pain in the butt. Would this mean I probably have a bad actuator on the passenger side. I dont think I am skilled enought to take the lock mechanism out myself, any input appreciated.

Thanks

Nicknamed the SexVX : )