Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2010, 03:58 AM

Registered SVX
ECUtune SVX performance transmission controller

Has anyone heard of these? They are on ebay for $328. I know a lot of ebay stuff is junk. It says that they are tuned and keep trans cooler and change shift points and hydraulic pressure and makes the light come on sooner. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:47 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: ECUtune SVX performance transmission controller

LAN here is ECUtune, he does flashes of the stock ECU with slight changes to the maps for a bit more performance out of the stock controller. From what I can tell they are good maps, people tend to like the way the car shifts with these... If you want to stick to an auto, this would not be a bad upgrade

Tom
Old 11-01-2010, 05:37 AM

Registered SVX

thank you tom. SO, you mean LAN (screen name) Is the ECUtune guy?
Old 11-01-2010, 05:42 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs92svx View Post
thank you tom. SO, you mean LAN (screen name) Is the ECUtune guy?
Yes.......
Old 11-01-2010, 09:53 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

"Longassname" is who you seek, not LAN

Sometimes the old-timers here forget that NEW people come around from time to time.

I blame the early onset of Alzheimers

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:40 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs92svx View Post
Has anyone heard of these? They are on ebay for $328. I know a lot of ebay stuff is junk. It says that they are tuned and keep trans cooler and change shift points and hydraulic pressure and makes the light come on sooner. Any thoughts? Thanks.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ECUtu...item1e57814ca5
I have one in my relatively stock 93, Christine and one in My SC Claret with 4.44s and more.
I am very happy with the new shifting programs.
They let the engine go to higher shift points and for better use of the torque that we have, IMHO.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 11-01-2010 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Misspelled one. rolleyes
Old 11-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

I am still surprised that no one with a 1996 or 1997 has ordered a modified TCU yet. I may take the leap soon myself but only after everything else, that needs to be done, is done first.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 11-02-2010, 09:14 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
I am still surprised that no one with a 1996 or 1997 has ordered a modified TCU yet. I may take the leap soon myself but only after everything else, that needs to be done, is done first.
I did order a 97 and it won't work. Have not installed it on a 96, so don't know if it will work there either.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 11-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

I looked into the 96 and 97 TCUs last year when Ihopp's son asked if I could make one for his 97. At that time I had no idea and told him if he ordered one I'd try to make it for him and either succeed or refund his $$. He ordered one so I ordered 96 and 97 core TCUs. The 96 TCU had some hardware differences from other SVX TCUs but used the same processor and I was able to modify it. The 97 TCU is completely different from other SVX TCUs including a different processor and no onboard external memory socket location.

Ihopp's son asked for the 96 TCU to use in his dad's car over a refund. It's the only 96 TCU I've done so far. I wasn't doing the modifications to the solenoid a maps back then but I did identify and modify the shift maps for the 96 and posted the locations and modified hex data in Phil's thread for public knowledge and use. I also provided Phil with the bin of the firmware for the 96. There was one switch location I wasn't 100% confident in but it was just a light switch or something and I didn't use it. I don't think finding the solenoid a maps will be difficult but it's not at the top of my to do list.

I'd take an order for a 96 TCU but it would be a special order at a higher price. I wouldn't take an order for a 97 TCU and don't intend to investigate it further.

Last edited by longassname; 11-03-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
I looked into the 96 and 97 TCUs last year when Ihopp's son asked if I could make one for his 97. At that time I had no idea and told him if he ordered one I'd try to make it for him and either succeed or refund his $$. He ordered one so I ordered 96 and 97 core TCUs. The 96 TCU had some hardware differences from other SVX TCUs but used the same processor and I was able to modify it. The 97 TCU is completely different from other SVX TCUs including a different processor and no onboard external memory socket location.

Ihopp's son asked for the 96 TCU to use in his dad's car over a refund. It's the only 96 TCU I've done so far. I wasn't doing the modifications to the solenoid a maps back then but I did identify and modify the shift maps for the 96 and posted the locations and modified hex data in Phil's thread for public knowledge and use. I also provided Phil with the bin of the firmware for the 96. There was one switch location I wasn't 100% confident in but it was just a light switch or something and I didn't use it. I don't think finding the solenoid a maps will be difficult but it's not at the top of my to do list.

I'd take an order for a 96 TCU but it would be a special order at a higher price. I wouldn't take an order for a 97 TCU and don't intend to investigate it further.
This is probably a stupid question but I will ask it anyways. Would a pre-1996 TCU work in a 1996 vehicle?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 11-03-2010, 04:38 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

Quote:
This is probably a stupid question but I will ask it anyways. Would a pre-1996 TCU work in a 1996 vehicle?
No. 1996 has OBDII in which the TCU interacts with the ECU in a different way than the 1992-1995 models (notably the lack of POWER light, but presence of modified shift maps )
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 11-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
No. 1996 has OBDII in which the TCU interacts with the ECU in a different way than the 1992-1995 models (notably the lack of POWER light, but presence of modified shift maps )
Ok, this seems extreme but what if one were to replace the ECU and the TCU to a 1992-1995 model? Can the swap be done if they are both done at the same time?

The thing is, I don't think anyone has decoded the valve duty cycle maps for the OBD II cars yet and, for all we know, the Subaru guys figured this out and did what Mike did on the older models. Probably not but...maybe.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:25 PM
Just some dude.

Husky it's a lot easier for me to do the 96 solenoid a maps than it would be fore you to go trying to change ECUs and TCUs. The 96 apears to use the same main solenoid a maps and they appear to be located at ca53, ca6b, ca83, and ca9b
Old 11-22-2010, 12:16 AM
Alleged User

Registered SVX

Well, that's another mod to cross off my list.
(97 owner)

1997 SVX LSi Bordeaux Pearl
1995 SVX L AWD Polo Green - 277k miles
1986 Pontiac Fiero 3.4L Twin Dual Cam V6
Old 11-23-2010, 10:17 AM
Just some dude.

If you're ready to order I could probably get a 96 core and have it on it's way to you complete with new solenoid a maps in 2 or 3 weeks. Order it now and you'll have it in plenty of time to give it to yourself for Christmas.

Quote:
Ok, this seems extreme but what if one were to replace the ECU and the TCU to a 1992-1995 model? Can the swap be done if they are both done at the same time?

The thing is, I don't think anyone has decoded the valve duty cycle maps for the OBD II cars yet and, for all we know, the Subaru guys figured this out and did what Mike did on the older models. Probably not but...maybe.