Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2010, 11:50 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX
EG33 Turbo - Airplane video

Mmmmmmmmn, turbo
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:30 AM

Re: EG33 Turbo - Airplane video

Oh, perfect!

I love Vari-EZ, Long-EZ, and Beech Starship designs. aft-wing and forward canard designs are very cool. The Velocity is an adaptation of the Long-EZ design, and an extension of the original Vari-EZ.

Burt Rutan, the designer is one of my favorite aircraft designers and engineers.

Other than a jet engine conversion, either thrust or prop...
...a turbocharged EG33 boxer would be a very, very cool power plant for that type of aircraft.

Even it it's unfinished state, this plane looks like it is going to be VERY cool. It even looks like it is a rectractable-gear version.

Just for eye-candy, here is one from Velocity's website gallery:

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:51 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

That's so badass. What other engines do they usually use for those?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-11-2010, 02:29 PM

Years ago (mid-1990s?), an aviation writer named Peter Garrison lead into his Flying magazine article on light aircraft powerplants with an accounting of his recent experience looking under the hood of an SVX. I wonder if I can find that article online...

dcb
Old 06-11-2010, 04:46 PM

Sometimes they use Lycoming flat engines... or other small-aircraft common engines.

But it is not uncommon to use Mazda rotaries, VW/Porsche, or Subaru boxers... somewhat often turbocharged.

anything compact enough to fit in the engine nacelle, with enough power to get the plane at it's appropriate weight rating to perform and climb properly.

I am no pilot, and not an aerodynamicist of any kind... but just as someone who appreciates sleek and effective machines and fresh, rational thinking... I would love to see an aircraft like that, or just slightly bigger, as a Very Light Jet, or possibly a twin-jet... either thrust-force turbofan, or a turboshaft driving a prop.

I've always loved this aircraft, and sadly it was under-appreciated, and de-commissioned. Beechcraft/Raytheon Starship 2000, obviously also a Burt Rutan design, very closely related to the Long-EZ, which the Velocity is a variant of. The Starship was the first aircraft of it's type to be constructed from composite materials. Maiden flight was in February of 1986, almost 25 years ago.

I just wonder what current technology and jet propulsion could do on an update of that design.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 06-11-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:34 PM

i want that effing engine.....