IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Reading Meet
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Ideas for the next Reading.

Compared to the Readings in prior years, this Reading was a "bare bones" event.

In the past, we had tech sessions, scenic drives, scavenger hunts and rallies, drag strip events, raffles and giveaways, and so on. Everyone always talked about what a fantastic time they had.

This year, except for Nevin's swaybar and a rather pathetic parts raffle, there was not much else to really embrace.

We need to get back to developing events and itineraries that will bring back those positive memories.

Raffle
In the past, we had raffles of parts, with everything from new sets of drilled/slotted rotors, complete brake pad sets, rebuilt powder coated calipers, cat-back exhaust systems, and various new parts donated by local Subaru dealers.

This year seems like we were giving away mostly used parts that someone did not want and did not want to throw away. It was a very meager offering to say the least.

Scenic Drives
The scenic drives I remember most are the ones with a definite theme. The best was the "Covered Bridge Tour" back at Reading III. Not just a road, but a chance to stop and have photo opportunities and enjoy a unique piece of history. Driving an SVX over a 100 year-old bridge designed for horse-drawn buggies, one car at a time, was a memory to remember. A 50-mile drive should not be out of the question in the future.

All it takes is a little planning to find an interesting route sometime within the next year. The roads will still be there when it comes time to drive them.

Rallies and Scavenger Hunts
These are a little more complicated and require much more work and planning. In the past, members had put a lot of time into planning these and many times there were not a lot of members interested in going.

Special Events
There will not always be a Pace Car to show up, so other special events should be considered. There could be a car concours or some other automotive event nearby that we could interest people with. It just takes a little advance research to find them. Simple things that we could offer and let members choose from.

One of the newer members sent me a PM, inquiring on the schedule of activities and events, as he saw none listed.

He said: "I'm coming a long distance. If we have a lot planned and things to do, I'm definitely interested in coming. If all we're gonna do is stand around in a parking lot all weekend, then not so much."

We need to restore this meet to it's former glory, as much as restoring the SVX's. Somehing to really get excited about again. Look at any od the "post-Reading threads and posts from prior years.

Reading is still mainly about the people and I would hate to lose some of them in the coming years because it just wasn't fun anymore...

We need willing volunteers to offer their services in whatever way they can.
We are a family... and families pull together for the benefit of all.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 04-22-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:07 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Ideas for the next Reading.

I would think a huge part of going to any meet like this would be for some sort of group driving, scenic or not. Something about seeing a large group of our cars together on the road at one time sort of makes me smile on the inside! (with photo ops of course!)

Then again, thinking about driving 700 miles to the meet to begin with I might have second thoughts getting there... but it's all about resting up the day prior to the real event I think, lol

I'm not exactly sure what was involved in getting the Pace Car last year but it sure would be interesting to see it at some point of time in my life. (not to mention the concept car itself... but to my understanding would be a much more difficult task to accomplish)

I would also think a decent/nice food outing would be in place as well. (Maybe this is the norm?) but just saying. (as I've not been to one yet)
Old 04-21-2010, 04:29 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

I miss the rally's, but as you say there is a huge amount of time involved and then it seemed like we would be twisting arms to get more than a few to participate.

Even last year, the drive to Yeungling only involved about half a dozen cars, and the drive to the Hershey Auto Museum couldn't gather enough interest to happen.

This year I posted about leading a scenic drive on Saturday morning and got no replies so I didn't plan anything. The short drive that happened was a result of Nancy showing me a map and asking about a nice road at the same time that I was about to take Ben's TVR for a test ride. That did gather a fair amount of participation for and when it came together I wished that I would have had a better route prepared.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:10 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

I was thinking it would be fun to give out a few awards. Best maintained.. Most modified... Best overall... Furtherst to Drive to Reading... Nicest Pearl etc.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007

Last edited by Sean486; 04-21-2010 at 05:12 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:23 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
I was thinking it would be fun to give out a few awards. Best maintained.. Most modified... Best overall... Furtherst to Drive to Reading... Nicest Pearl etc.
I completely agree A+++ for the idea.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.

Last edited by SilverSpear; 04-21-2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:22 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

I had no idea we went for a drive, either meandering or to the museum this year. I would have been in for both!

The two sets of DIY hood strut repair hardware were part of my donation. That's something that pretty much everybody can use (except purists like Will who prefer $$OEM$$ ), and are about $10 of specific parts each. I hope that's not basement junk.

It is safe to say, though, that the selection was slimmer this year! Did we have an imbalance of new-to-Reading members who weren't aware of the raffle? Have the most generous donators from the past cut back, either from resources or from feeling taken for granted?
Old 04-21-2010, 12:02 PM

Registered SVX

I was actually planning on bringing stuff for the raffle as well as some stuff for "show and tell" but I had things pop up and was busy and completely forgot all about that stuff.

I would have loved to have gone on that cruise you guys took but I was completely unaware of it and so I had gone up to Wilkes Barre to pick up a transmission core.
Last year also, I was very interested in going to the auto museum in Hershey but it seemed like it wasn't going to happen. I think if we were to get stuff planned out with approximate times and then have an actual itinerary for everyone when they come in, it would help a lot with everyone that is there as well as helping to attract the newer members and making it "worth" the time for people who come from further away.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Idea for the next Reading: Covered Bridge tour

Here is one of the many covered bridge drives that is possible. This one is in Berks County.

About 87 miles round trip. 2hrs. and 23 minutes

Photo Album of each of the covered bridges on the drive can be found HERE

Google map of Bridges HERE

..../.

The actual turn-by-turn directions for this tour can be found HERE

Maybe someone local to the area can take this route sometime over the next year to make sure it is accurate.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Covered Bridge Route.jpg (362.8 KB, 361 views)
Attached Files
File Type: doc COVERED BRIDGE TOUR.doc (787.5 KB, 177 views)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 04-22-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:58 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

The ride we took was fun and had many photo ops. I was a little disappointed that we didn't wait for anyone though but now I see that it was just spontanious.

Also, in my honest opinion, I think we need a woman to run it next year. It seems as though they're rather good at telling us what to do and the whole organizing thing..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 04-22-2010, 11:16 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I enjoyed the drag racing that we did about three years ago.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 04-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
I enjoyed the drag racing that we did about three years ago.
I was about to say how I would LOVE to do something like this but then I thought that there is no way that people like us (scatterbrained) could coordinate something like that. Apparently I was incorrect.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 04-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Couple of suggestions:

1. Bump the date out to the first weekend in May (sorry, but weekend soccer games are in full swing in the month of April and still got a couple more years to go of coaching/watching my kids)

2. Concours event with awards for the "best of". This would address Ben's concern regarding the appearance of the cars in attendance and you could extend the "best of" awards into sound system, suspension mods, engine mods, etc. John H. should be the chief judge, with YT and OT as assistant judges to cover the non-appearance "best ofs". Their cars will not be allowed to participate.

3. Mini AutoX or Gymkana if we can fence off enough of the parking lot and "borrow" enough traffic cones.

4. Dyno pulls -- only if there is a shop that's within a 30 minute drive.

-B

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 04-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Couple of suggestions:

1. Bump the date out to the first weekend in May (sorry, but weekend soccer games are in full swing in the month of April and still got a couple more years to go of coaching/watching my kids)

2. Concours event with awards for the "best of". This would address Ben's concern regarding the appearance of the cars in attendance and you could extend the "best of" awards into sound system, suspension mods, engine mods, etc. John H. should be the chief judge, with YT and OT as assistant judges to cover the non-appearance "best ofs". Their cars will not be allowed to participate.

3. Mini AutoX or Gymkana if we can fence off enough of the parking lot and "borrow" enough traffic cones.

-B
1. I really don't see happening
2. not a bad idea
3. Yeah right, the parking lot condition and the liability of this type of thing will NEVER fly with the people of the HI
4. The only one local that I remember is now closed. Also, what would be the point? Most (I said MOST) everyone has a stock engined SVX. I can see it now.... Mike621's SVX will have 2 more HP then Nate1986's car because he has more powercoating on his engine.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:45 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeman90 View Post
1. I really don't see happening
2. not a bad idea
3. Yeah right, the parking lot condition and the liability of this type of thing will NEVER fly with the people of the HI
4. The only one local that I remember is now closed. Also, what would be the point? Most (I said MOST) everyone has a stock engined SVX. I can see it now.... Mike621's SVX will have 2 more HP then Nate1986's car because he has more powercoating on his engine.
So that's where the big gains in power are to be made
damnit Mike, you got me this time.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Couple of suggestions:

-B
1. I'm sure May of next year will be filled with something to keep you away as well. (someone suggested having a meet in your front yard, then we could at least wave to you as you're on your way to and from whatever

2. Someone (Mike621??) suggested this for RX, I like the idea and will gladly volunteer as a judge since for now and possibly still next year, my car is one of the ones that Ben mentioned. My only possible best of is "Faded Black Paint"

3. Good luck, Blue Mnt region of SCCA used to use the lot. Something happened and I don't see the mall management agreeing to any speed related contests. I wondered about a "slow autocross"???

4. What Matt said...